Toleration Doesn't Cut Both Ways

I

IanCG

You don't tell an 11B he can only squeeze the trigger with his pinky finger and you don't tell the medic he has to use band-aids to treat a sucking chest wound, nor should you tell a chaplain how to interpret the Bible

You do tell an 11B who he can shoot, and you prioritize casualties in a triage, so you can tell a chaplain what he can or can't say to soldiers who don't want to hear it.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Caught Between Barack and a Hard Place
Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You do tell an 11B who he can shoot, and you prioritize casualties in a triage, so you can tell a chaplain what he can or can't say to soldiers who don't want to hear it.
The discussion wasn't about what soldiers don't want to hear. :wave:

If a soldier doesn't want to hear something from a chaplain, he simply does not have to converse with him

Upvote 0
I

IanCG

The discussion wasn't about what soldiers don't want to hear. :wave:

If a soldier doesn't want to hear something from a chaplain, he simply does not have to converse with him

Actually, wholly incorrect. When I was in the Air Force I had to listen to a chaplain all the time. In fact, it's becoming a huge problem in the Army with their whole concept of "spiritual fitness."

Soldiers forced to attend candlelight prayer for suicide prevention | Rock Beyond Belief

What exactly is it that you want chaplains to be able to do that the existence of gay service members are prohibiting?

Upvote 0

BleedingHeart

Feb 1, 2011
Grand Blanc, Michigan
✟2,049.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Attack the source when you got nothing. Your union has trained you well. :thumbsup:

You call this a source? Because for an "article" talking about all the people who've been harmed by the repeal of DADT, I don't see an awful lot of names OR quotes. In fact, I see NONE of EITHER. Whereas the numerous problems with DADT where discussed by Joseph Rocha, Dan Choi, and Aaron Belkin, I could go on. Social conservatives I swear......:doh:

Reactions: Tangled24
Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Out of the military, preachers have the ability to preach that many different people of many different faiths arent saved. I have been to churches that preach Catholics, Episcopals, Anglicans, to name a few arent saved. The Baptist church I was raised in sent "missionary" trips to south Louisiana to save the Catholics that are living in sin down there. Chaplains in the military dont have that ability. I would think they would know this ahead of time. The military cant have someone driving wedges between the service members.

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You don't tell an 11B he can only squeeze the trigger with his pinky finger and you don't tell the medic he has to use band-aids to treat a sucking chest wound, nor should you tell a chaplain how to interpret the Bible

If they wanted to, they could do all that. There are highly compelling reasons to allow latitude in the individuals decision how to perform the two actions you identified. Likewise, there are compelling reasons why chaplins shouldn't be going around telling certain soldiers that they're going to hell.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If they wanted to, they could do all that. There are highly compelling reasons to allow latitude in the individuals decision how to perform the two actions you identified. Likewise, there are compelling reasons why chaplins shouldn't be going around telling certain soldiers that they're going to hell.
If the soldier comes to them, they should be able to tell them the truth

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To tell the truth

So are the Chaplains going to say that nowhere in the Bible does it say that it is ok for someone to go to a whole other country to kill people because the people in that country are already killing each other?

If the chaplain is against a "war" that any particular president gets us into and believes it is against God's will, he can tell the soldiers that they are wrong to fight it?

Chaplains never have been able to preach everything that can be allowed outside the military. This is nothing new. Chaplains shouldnt be able to cause rifts in a unit.

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If the soldier comes to them, they should be able to tell them the truth

If the only chaplain on a ship is protestant and is approached by a Catholic sailor, he SHOULDNT be able to tell that sailor he is going to hell. Crushing someone's moral while in the middle of a 6 month (and sometimes up to a 9 month or longer) cruise shouldnt be something he is allowed to do.

Upvote 0

MachZer0

Mar 9, 2005
✟86,609.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If the only chaplain on a ship is protestant and is approached by a Catholic sailor, he SHOULDNT be able to tell that sailor he is going to hell. Crushing someone's moral while in the middle of a 6 month (and sometimes up to a 9 month or longer) cruise shouldnt be something he is allowed to do.
He should be able to tell the sailor the truth :wave:

Reactions: GenetoJean
Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
It seems more to be about government defining a minister's job
Yes, that's exactly what it is. The Minister is an employee of the Government. They do define his job. If he is working for a Baptist Church, they will define his job. If he works for an Episcopal Church, they will.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet the military indeed does tell them how to shoot and how to administer medical treatments.

Upvote 0

RedDead1981

Prayer is beautiful when it's sincere
Jul 4, 2010
✟14,181.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
As an active duty member of the USAF I can attest that the repeal of DADT has had ZERO impacts on readiness, morale etc in the military. It's been a non-issue really in many ways.

There was another soldier in here who pretty much said the exact same thing. He was completely ignored by the social conservatives here.

Upvote 0