tolerance vs acceptance

W

watt

heres the background
mr garrison is trying to get fired for being gay so he can sue for millions
so he does really naughty things with his ta and the children tell on him and the parents take them to the museum of tolerance which really brainwashes people to acceptance
cartmans not fat he just has a different life choice!
well the end sums it up for you

Mr. Garrison: Look, this kind of behavior should not be acceptable from a teacher!
Mr. Slave: Yeah, [snip] [snip]
Man 6: But the mu-se-um tells us to be to-le-rant
Man 3: [stands up and raises his arms] Yes. The mu-se-um.
Man 7: [stands up and raises his arms] The mu-se-um tells us.
Mr. Garrison: Tolerant, but not stupid! Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn't mean you have to approve of it! If you had to like it, it'd be called the Museum of Acceptance! [the audience looks on] "Tolerate" means you're just putting up with it! You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane or, or you tolerate a bad cold. It can still [snip] you off! [snip] Tapdancing [snip]!
Randy: He's right. Our boys didn't hate homosexuals, they just hated the way this [snip] was acting.
Gerald: We'ge gotta get our boys back! [gets up and rushes out]
Mr. Garrison: [relieved] Ogh! Okay, so now can I PLEASE get fired and get my 25 million dollars?!

no one is asking Christians that do not like homosexuality to accept it
if they believe that their faith says its wrong then theres nothing wrong with that
just tolerate homosexuals, let them do their thing so they can live their lives just as freely as you live yours

the_malevolent_milk_man

Jul 27, 2003
Apopka, Florida
✟4,185.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Haha... as odd as this post is, it speaks the truth. It's always puzzled me when people say "I'm not intolerant, I just want to deny certain people certain rights because I don't agree with what they are."

Nobody ever asked for everybody to wear a rainbow shirt and sing "I love homosexuals" all day long. That would be acceptance.

Tolerance would be treating homosexuals as equals with the same rights and legal standing, yet dissaproving of their sexual preference. That would truely be "love the sinner, hate the sin."

Upvote 0

Blemonds

Aug 3, 2003
California
✟4,664.00
watt said:
heres the background
mr garrison is trying to get fired for being gay so he can sue for millions
so he does really naughty things with his ta and the children tell on him and the parents take them to the museum of tolerance which really brainwashes people to acceptance
cartmans not fat he just has a different life choice!
well the end sums it up for you

Mr. Garrison: Look, this kind of behavior should not be acceptable from a teacher!
Mr. Slave: Yeah, [snip] [snip]
Man 6: But the mu-se-um tells us to be to-le-rant
Man 3: [stands up and raises his arms] Yes. The mu-se-um.
Man 7: [stands up and raises his arms] The mu-se-um tells us.
Mr. Garrison: Tolerant, but not stupid! Look, just because you have to tolerate something doesn't mean you have to approve of it! If you had to like it, it'd be called the Museum of Acceptance! [the audience looks on] "Tolerate" means you're just putting up with it! You tolerate a crying child sitting next to you on the airplane or, or you tolerate a bad cold. It can still [snip] you off! [snip] Tapdancing [snip]!
Randy: He's right. Our boys didn't hate homosexuals, they just hated the way this [snip] was acting.
Gerald: We'ge gotta get our boys back! [gets up and rushes out]
Mr. Garrison: [relieved] Ogh! Okay, so now can I PLEASE get fired and get my 25 million dollars?!

no one is asking Christians that do not like homosexuality to accept it
if they believe that their faith says its wrong then theres nothing wrong with that
just tolerate homosexuals, let them do their thing so they can live their lives just as freely as you live yours
As Christians, it is our religious belief (guaranteed by the Constitution) to speak out against (guaranteed by the Constitution) the "normalization" of sinful behavior. So how about if you practice what you preach and show some tolerance towards Christians for a change?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Blemonds said:
As Christians, it is our religious belief (guaranteed by the Constitution) to speak out against (guaranteed by the Constitution) the "normalization" of sinful behavior. So how about if you practice what you preach and show some tolerance towards Christians for a change?

Be still my heart I agree with Blemonds in principal :eek:

of course you know there is but or they would have to pick me up off the floor :wave:

But it IS NOT our right to discriminate based on our beliefs,

ohh and this Chrisitan is not comvinced that a loving monogamous realtionship is sinful, that said you should not assume to speak for ALL Christians, it is sort of like the homosexual agenda thing

Upvote 0

Blemonds

Aug 3, 2003
California
✟4,664.00
mhatten said:
Be still my heart I agree with Blemonds in principal :eek:

of course you know there is but or they would have to pick me up off the floor :wave:

But it IS NOT our right to discriminate based on our beliefs,

ohh and this Chrisitan is not comvinced that a loving monogamous realtionship is sinful, that said you should not assume to speak for ALL Christians, it is sort of like the homosexual agenda thing
Just so you don't get too despondent over being in agreement with me, I believe the Constitution guarantees the right for us to discriminate based on religious beliefs or non religious beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
Blemonds said:
As soon as I dedide to show some love to the KKK I will show you the same respect. Quite honestly you are no better or worse, it is the same thing to me. Whether you attack another for their skin color or sex of their mate, no difference....so yeah, go ahead and speak out all you want. But the intolerance you show does not deserve tolderance from me.

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Blemonds said:
Just so you don't get too despondent over being in agreement with me, I believe the Constitution guarantees the right for us to discriminate based on religious beliefs or non religious beliefs.

Be still my heart I agree with Blemonds in principal again :eek:

Yes the constitution does guarantee one's right to be narrow minded and discrminatory that is one of the blessings of a free democratic state.

here goes that BUT

IT does not allow you or a group of you(s) to discirminate using the law based on your beliefs. You don't have to accept, like, invite, talk or anyhting thing else with homosexuals, but WE DO HAVE TO PROVIDE THEM WITH EQUAL PROTECTION UNDER THE LAW BECAUSE THE CONSTITUTION GUARANTEES THAT

Upvote 0

SqueezetheShaman

Jul 26, 2003
✟5,461.00
Faith
Agnostic
I have said that before blemonds. I too am proud of being intolerant for what I see as hateful behavior. Never said differently....what peopel find disgusting is how you and others are intolerant for what we see as no good reason. For example, feel free to hate pedopohiles, murderers etc. But we don't understand your animosity towards homosexuals.

But for the record I totally disagree that I am no better than you. really really really disagree :p

Upvote 0

Blemonds

Aug 3, 2003
California
✟4,664.00
SqueezetheShaman said:
I have said that before blemonds. I too am proud of being intolerant for what I see as hateful behavior. Never said differently....what peopel find disgusting is how you and others are intolerant for what we see as no good reason. For example, feel free to hate pedopohiles, murderers etc. But we don't understand your animosity towards homosexuals.

But for the record I totally disagree that I am no better than you. really really really disagree :p
You can disagree all you want but you are espousing a religious intolerance. And forcing people to be nondiscriminatory towards homosexuals or any other group is to legislate your (and that of your peers)brand of morality by making my choice to discriminate illegal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Blemonds said:
You can disagree all you want but you are espousing a religious intolerance. And forcing people to be nondiscriminatory towards homosexuals or any other group is to legislate your (and that of your peers)brand of morality by making my choice to discriminate illegal.

See post #12 about constitutional guarantees to discrimante, there are none

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Blemonds said:
Blemonds, it is your constitutional right to personally like or dislike anyone you want for any reason you want. It is not your constitutional right to discrimate against those you dislike due to race, color, age, sex, creed, or sexual orientation in matters of employment, business or legislation. If you do you have violated the law.

Liking "them" personally is acceptance. Dealing with "them" in matters of business, employment, and legislation is tolerence. The constition prevents discrimination under the law, but feel free to disciminate as much as you like in your personal life.

Upvote 0

Blemonds

Aug 3, 2003
California
✟4,664.00
kermit said:
Blemonds, it is your constitutional right to personally like or dislike anyone you want for any reason you want. It is not your constitutional right to discrimate against those you dislike due to race, color, age, sex, creed, or sexual orientation in matters of employment, business or legislation. If you do you have violated the law.

Liking "them" personally is acceptance. Dealing with "them" in matters of business, employment, and legislation is tolerence. The constition prevents discrimination under the law, but feel free to disciminate as much as you like in your personal life.
The Constitution says I have a right to say what I want. So if I have a job opening, and someone I don't like applies for the job, why should I not be able to say "I don't like your lifestyle, so I don't care for you to be my employee?

Upvote 0

praying

Snazzy Title Goes Here
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2004
New Jersey
✟86,040.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Blemonds said:
The Constitution says I have a right to say what I want. So if I have a job opening, and someone I don't like applies for the job, why should I not be able to say "I don't like your lifestyle, so I don't care for you to be my employee?

becasue the constitution says you can't end of subject

Upvote 0

kermit

Legend
Nov 13, 2003
Visit site
✟27,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Blemonds said:
It's simple. Remember this phrase, "Your rights end where the guy's begin". In the case you describe, your refusal to hire him due to "lifestyle" is violating his right to non-discimination, by exercising your rights you have violated his rights. Which takes priority? If he is not hired his rights are violated. If he is, you still have your right to dislike him, so your rights aren't violated. So, in this case, your rights end where his being, not vise-versa.

This idea is the basis for many of the laws we have.

Upvote 0