• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Today is the worst day of my life

h2whoa

Ace2whoa - resident geneticist
Sep 21, 2004
Manchester, UK
✟4,091.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I actually do not know if I am strong enough to deal with today.

Meant to be getting married June 4th. Thanks to Nic's psycho dad things have been collapsing this past week. Today things exploded in such a dramatic way I almost can't believe what happened. IT's too surreal, I can't process anything.

h2

W

Wakeup2god

Thats bad h2, has this been building up or was it a sudden breakup? First off give it all to the one who has all the answers. Remember Paul and Silas in prison, praising God in the darkness. I know it's hard but you need to remember that whatever happens in our relations God is always worthy of praise. Do you both need to cool off or is it over for good? I know you must be hurting now but things always look different in the morning. Be praying for you brother.

Upvote 0

BlackRain

Dec 21, 2004
texas
✟8,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
wow...i'm sooo sorry!!!!
Father be with h2. calm him as he's stressed, shocked and completely overwhelmed by everything that's happened. you know the situation better than any of us so i ask that you would intervene as you see fit. i pray that you would pick h2 up and show him love. may you gain glory from this, Lord, somehow.
in your name i pray.
amen!!

Upvote 0

Hope_0004

Mar 14, 2005
✟10,073.00
So what actually caused you to break up? Were you just tired of dealing with it, or did the situation bring out some unattractive qualities in your fiance?

I have no idea what happened (I understand, details aren't important when you're just trying to vent), but don't forget that dealing with our crazy families tends to make women, and probably men too, act out in ways that really don't demonstrate how we are 99% of the time. 'Course, if she's your fiance you probably know that.

Whatever happened, I hope you can find a way to work it out... or at least be at peace.

Praying for you...

Upvote 0

h2whoa

Ace2whoa - resident geneticist
Sep 21, 2004
Manchester, UK
✟4,091.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Thanks for the responses guys.

DaBronx said:
But...if he is mentally ill, why does your finace let him "get" to you both???

It's so complicated. Her dad is just far to entwined in her life. She is driven mad by him but then is protective as well. She feels this enormous responsibility for sorting his life out, to the point that she ends up losing perspective and carries what is a thankless burden.

Hope_0004 said:
So what actually caused you to break up?

Her dad's a joiner by trade but hasn't worked for 17 years since he and Nic's mum broke up. Since then he's lived as a recluse, consumed by negativity, paranoia and contempt for others.

Nic wanted to get her dad out of this and a friend of my parents' had a house that needed doing up which she was then going to rent to us after the wedding. Nic arranged for her dad to come and do the work as a way of getting him back into the real world. My parents agreed to put him up. Eventually he drove them mad because he does not stop talking. Literally. I know people say that about chatty people but I'm trying to get across that this more than that. This is pathological. And he talks about the same things for hours, never finishing a sentence and slagging off even his loved ones. It's constant negativity.

Eventually, my sister who is carrying her 2nd baby was haemorraghing and on the same day my mum's friend went into hospital with a brain tumour. My dad told Nic's dad that he and my mum needed a bit of time alone just to chat. He didn't give it to them. Instead, as soon as my mum got in, he just started off on the same old things so my dad lost his temper and they had an argument.

From there things just went downhill. He was constantly slagging my entire family off to Nic. Nic was getting sick and tired of him. Eventually he slagged off my parents to me and I went beserk and absolutely blasted him (verbally). He argued with Nic, my parents and the woman who owns the house, so he just ran away back to London, leaving his daughter in the lurch.

The following day, Easter Sunday, me and Nic went over to my parents' for dinner. Everything was fine and then Nic just suddenly got upset and said some awful things to my parents, really screaming. She ran out and I went after her and we were driving away which was really scary because the way she was driving was insane. I made her stop and go back. We both got really upset and I said "This won't work like this." We drove back to my parents' and I phoned my mum and asked her to come and talk to Nic without my dad. Mum came out and they chatted and eventually things seemed a bit calmer so we went back in. My dad was really upset about what had happened. Nic gave what did sound like a false apology (it actually wasn't but the way she phrased it was unfortunate). My dad just said very quietly "I've never been talked to like that before". And that was that really. This wound Nic up again and she muttered a few things. We went into the living room and then Nic lost it again. She ran outside and tried to rip the wingmirror of my dad's car and she was screaming and yelling. I begged her to stop saying that she was killing me. She turned around and said "screw you. Go and talk to your dad about why I've done this and then you can come back to me". She went and got in her car and drove off. I, much to my shame, just collapsed absolutely sobbing in the street. The neighbours had to go and get my dad to come and bring me in.

I just feel destroyed.

h2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaBronx

Mar 10, 2005
New Jersey
✟8,789.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Please forgive me, h2, if I sound judgemental...I'm just trying to understand here and help you out:

But it seems to me your fiance needs more help than her dad. :(

Please pray and first ask Father what He wants for you...are you sure these are the people He wants you to marry into? If He says "yes" then ask Him for wisdom, understanding, and guidance.

Someone once told me that you marry the person, not the family...Much to my dismay I learned the hard way that this is not true.

Fortunately, we have Christ, and with Him nothing is impossible...So, of course prayer always but first we need to know if this is the woman He has chosen for you.

I know you love her and want her but sometimes what we want is not necessarily what we need. Is she part of God's plan for your life? Is this where you are supposed to be? Ask Him, then allow the Holy Spirit to take you by the hand and guide you along.

My prayers are with you, my friend, as you find you true calling in this unfortunate situation.

Love ya.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Bless her Heart--She's just trying to do the best she can.

Money, Kids, and IN-LAWS are three of the biggest challenges any marriage FACE.

Most Every Child wants to "please" their parents, and most every parent HAS A PROBLEM letting go of their children. They use any means to keep their kids little. It's selfish. Your girl has to recognize it for what it is (A Control Tactic) before she will ever be free to deal with it. PRAYERS & HUGS..Can you see any hope of getting through to her?:groupray:

Upvote 0