Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How does one describe such a culture of death? It’s a puzzlement.

20220118210152_43795d15e4107d8a016d7af327c6833528e4a2de36264d8b47f4142b5a8769f7.jpg

Dutch designer Alexander Bannink explains how the Sarco euthanasia machine works as a man experiences sitting in the device by wearing virtual reality glasses, on April 14, 2018, at the Amsterdam Funeral Expo. (photo: Jasper Juinen / AFP via Getty Images)

When the trains bringing people to Auschwitz for killing pulled into the station, there was often a small orchestra playing on the platform. The Germans wanted people to see how “civilized” they were. Music also tended to calm people and allay their suspicions.

Music seems also apropos to the Western drive toward euthanasia. A particularly apt piece comes from musical The King and I. The King sings about puzzlements.

Australian euthanasia advocate Philip Nitschke has invented “Sarco,” a futuristic “pod” that resembles a cockpit, designed to allow somebody who wants to kill himself to so all by himself, without anybody else’s “assistance.” The person gets in, provides voice commands and acknowledgement of disclaimers, and then the machine seals, pumps oxygen out and nitrogen in, suffocating the person.

Nitschke says self-killing is a basic human right, and almost all of the people The New York Times or the UK’s Independent quote when discussing the Australian’s euthanasia advocacy agree. So why do both articles end with a block telling you how to reach a suicide prevention center if you’re having thoughts about killing yourself? It’s a puzzlement.

Continued below.
Today’s Barbarians Beguile People So That They May Kill Them

tz620q

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2007
Carmel, IN
✟574,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How does one describe such a culture of death? It’s a puzzlement.
When the trains bringing people to Auschwitz for killing pulled into the station, there was often a small orchestra playing on the platform. The Germans wanted people to see how “civilized” they were. Music also tended to calm people and allay their suspicions.
I fell in love with a song by Leonard Cohen called "Dance Me to the End of Love". It is set to a Greek Hasapiko or Butcher's Dance. Because of the upbeat tempo most think this song is meant to be a happy, romantic song. I found an interview with Cohen where he said that what inspired him was seeing a picture of a small string quartet of Jews that were forced to play while the Jews were being marched to be shot or gassed. So the song can be seem as a life tragically ended; but not the love that existed between the murdered couples.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I fell in love with a song by Leonard Cohen called "Dance Me to the End of Love". It is set to a Greek Hasapiko or Butcher's Dance. Because of the upbeat tempo most think this song is meant to be a happy, romantic song. I found an interview with Cohen where he said that what inspired him was seeing a picture of a small string quartet of Jews that were forced to play while the Jews were being marched to be shot or gassed. So the song can be seem as a life tragically ended; but not the love that existed between the murdered couples.
That is one of my all time favorites! I love Leonard Cohen. You have good taste!

Upvote 0