✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Friends,

Some one please tell me what I should do. I became a member of this church about a year ago now. Since then I’ve joined small groups, discovery classes and now serve as a volunteer on Sunday mornings in the children’s ministry. I enjoy the church, and the leaders seem to manage things pretty well, or so I thought.

Maybe I’m overreacting, but I’ve seen couple of people smoking cigarettes in the parking lot after church, on multiple occasions. Maybe I would have more compassion had I not been to two Men’s Conferences where I sat next to someone chewing tobacco in one of the breakout sessions.. two years in a row.

Tobacco use is a stumbling block for me, and it lights me up (no pun intended) when I see people doing this stuff at church. I get it. It’s a struggle. But lay it down at the alter, man!

If that’s the first thing a person does before ever leaving church, it makes me wonder if I should confront the lead pastor about it, but even as I try to get close to him I feel a disconnect.

Please help. Any advice is appreciated.

God bless you all.

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Friends,

Some one please tell me what I should do. I became a member of this church about a year ago now. Since then I’ve joined small groups, discovery classes and now serve as a volunteer on Sunday mornings in the children’s ministry. I enjoy the church, and the leaders seem to manage things pretty well, or so I thought.

Maybe I’m overreacting, but I’ve seen couple of people smoking cigarettes in the parking lot after church, on multiple occasions. Maybe I would have more compassion had I not been to two Men’s Conferences where I sat next to someone chewing tobacco in one of the breakout sessions.. two years in a row.

Tobacco use is a stumbling block for me, and it lights me up (no pun intended) when I see people doing this stuff at church. I get it. It’s a struggle. But lay it down at the alter, man!

If that’s the first thing a person does before ever leaving church, it makes me wonder if I should confront the lead pastor about it, but even as I try to get close to him I feel a disconnect.

God bless you all.
Yeah not good at all. One of the reasons most evangelical churches use grape juice instead of wine. It is a stumbling block for former alcoholics. They should not be smoking either in church grounds or those conferences. It is a stumbling block for a lot of people and they should know better not to put a brother or sister in such a situation.

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟698,207.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
If it is not against the church policy, then there is really no way to stop them. However, you could always pull those people aside and explain your struggle and how seeing them partake in the tobacco affects you. Failing that, you could discuss the issue with the pastor and suggest a tobacco policy be put in place.

Upvote 0

KyleSpringer

Feb 13, 2018
Canton
✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let it go.
I know the destruction it caused in my life, so to let it go is to turn a blind eye to a deeper rooted problem, maybe not even with the individuals, but the church itself. Ive been the victim of gossip as well and I let that go, but there’s more to it than meets the eye.

At least that’s what the Lord us showing me.

Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Some church denominations want everyone(smokers and non-smokers) to feel welcome. Maybe they can request that there be no smoking on church property. ? Some members might be allergic to cigarette smoke.

• Agree
Reactions: sunshine100
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I know the destruction it caused in my life, so to let it go is to turn a blind eye to a deeper rooted problem, maybe not even with the individuals, but the church itself. Ive been the victim of gossip as well and I let that go, but there’s more to it than meets the eye.

Go to another church.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

What do you believe you will gain by pressing the issue?

Upvote 0

KyleSpringer

Feb 13, 2018
Canton
✟12,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What do you believe you will gain by pressing the issue?
Insight and understanding on how to deal with sin in the church? Why does have to be that I’m pushing to gain something? Apparently everything is a political move nowadays. I just want freedom for my brothers anc sisters but I’m not the most qualified. But apparently it only takes a will. No wonder there’s sin in our churches, as everyone is just supposed to live and let live. What happened to exhort one another, rebuke out of love? Being idle is not something we were called to do, brother. Being a tree of life means you’re constantly growing and feeding people, but not this one.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe I’m overreacting, but I’ve seen couple of people smoking cigarettes in the parking lot after church, on multiple occasions.

That's not a crime.

Does your church teach that it's a sin?

I'm not sure how exactly this is your problem. It's a public thing that the church leadership knows about. Either let them handle it, or find another church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi Friends,

God bless you all.
Do you see people smoking in other situations in your day-to-day life? If so, you can’t avoid theses “stumbling blocks” and need to be able to handle them.

People are smoking or chewing tobacco because they are addicted to quite possibly the most addictive drug out there. At least they waited until the church parking lot to light up. Why is it such a big deal, there are people at your church engaged in far more distructive sins - domestic violence, bullying, consumerism. They just hide it better than the smokers in the parking lot.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Insight and understanding on how to deal with sin in the church? Why does have to be that I’m pushing to gain something? Apparently everything is a political move nowadays. I just want freedom for my brothers anc sisters but I’m not the most qualified. But apparently it only takes a will. No wonder there’s sin in our churches, as everyone is just supposed to live and let live. What happened to exhort one another, rebuke out of love? Being idle is not something we were called to do, brother. Being a tree of life means you’re constantly growing and feeding people, but not this one.
Oh, so this is definitely about you wanting to judge the smokers and tell them how sinful they are. Well, good luck with all that.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
That's a strong argument against doing it in church, but the parking lot would still be OK (assuming it's open-air).

Some of the cars are parked within a few feet of the door at my daughter's church. She attends a mega church (Church of the Nazarene).

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Do you see people smoking in other situations in your day-to-day life? If so, you can’t avoid theses “stumbling blocks” and need to be able to handle them.

People are smoking or chewing tobacco because they are addicted to quite possibly the most addictive drug out there. At least they waited until the church parking lot to light up. Why is it such a big deal, there are people at your church engaged in far more distructive sins - domestic violence, bullying, consumerism. They just hide it better than the smokers in the parking lot.

Smoking is banned in public buildings, restaurants, hospitals, and doctors offices where I live.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Smoking is banned in public buildings, restaurants, hospitals, and doctors offices where I live.
Same where I live. So you encounter smokers on the street everywhere you go. I don’t see how anyone could avoid smokers unless you don’t go out.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
And that would include churches too, I expect.
I've been to a lot of denominations and have never seen anyone smoking in church. The only place I've seen people smoking on church property was at an Orthodox church (near the entrance, BTW).

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,025.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Same where I live. So you encounter smokers on the street everywhere you go. I don’t see how anyone could avoid smokers unless you don’t go out.

The young people probably have special places they hang out. Some of the Walmart employees smoke outside. But, no, I don't see people smoking everywhere I go.

Upvote 0