To what purpose...the dream of Pilates wife?

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist

To what purpose...the dream of Pilate's wife?

When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him...[Matthew 27:19]

While the scripture does not elaborate on the nature of Pilate’s wife’s dream...I think that it will be accepted that the receiving of this portend from his wife while sitting on the judgement seat of Rome’s authority would have done little to ease his perterbation in regards Jesus...indeed, her husband’s degree of trepidation could only increase upon the hearing of it.

What purpose, than, in God’s providential oversight (decrees) of the wife receiving the dream ?

And than, what purpose, in God’s providential oversight (decrees) the relaying of that dream to Pilate ?

abacabb3

Jul 14, 2013
✟82,284.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it gives us a window how behind the scenes, God was already preparing the hearts of the gentiles for conversion. It also certainly explains why Pilot, who by historical accounts was a cruel man, appeared to tarry in executing Jesus while usually he probably would have not cared. His wife was probably tugging at his heart strings, so it helps us see how Pilot that one day did not exactly act like the Pilot of recorded history.

Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
The contemplation of these kinds of queries...i.e. those posed in the OP... especially as logical deductions are extrapolated out from such a simple and singular example... and when scriptures are utilised such as Acts 2:23; and are superimposed in an overarching principle, exemplifying God’s transcendent sovereignty.

Help to illustrate that the exhaustive determinism, fatalism if you will, of the Father’s decrees sequentially unfolding... and being actualized (BEING - I AM)... is the personification of real dynamic vitality... and never static, or uninspiring, or uncreative... as those who despise robotics will claim.

Him, being delivered by the determinate counsel and foreknowledge of God, ye have taken, and by wicked hands have crucified and slain:..[Acts 2:23]

The reciting [below] by Ravi Zacharias of a fictitious conversation between Pontius Pilate and Gaius will illustrate the intended point.

http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM8E8v5R6DA#t=32

… “It suddenly closed in on me Gaius, the impact of how trapped I was. The proud arm of Rome with all its boast of justice was to be but a dirty dagger in the pudgy hands of the priest. I was waiting in the room, Gaius, the one I use for court, officially enthroned with cloak and guard when they let this Jesus in. Well Gaius, don’t smile at this, as you value your jaw, but I have had no peace since the day he walked into my judgment hall. It’s been years but these scenes I read from the back of my eyelids every night.

You have seen Caesar haven’t you? When he was young and strapping inspecting the legion. His arrogant manner was child like compared to that of the Nazarene. He didn’t have to strut, you see. He walked toward my throne; arms bound but with a strident mastery and control that by its very audacity silenced the room for an instant and left me trembling with an insane desire to stand up and salute.

The clerk began reading the absurd list of charges. The priestly delegation punctuating these with palm rubbings and beard strokings and the eye rollings and the pious gutturals I had long-since learned to ignore. But I more felt it, Gaius, than heard it. I questioned him mechanically. He answered very little but what he said and the way he said it, it was as if his level gaze had pulled my naked soul right up into his eyes and was probing it there. It seemed like the man wasn’t even listening to the charges brought against him as a voice deep within me seemed to say `You are the one on trial, Pilate.’ You would have sworn, Gaius, that he had just come in out of a friendly interest to see what was going to happen to me. The very pressure of his standing there had grown unbearable when a slave rushed in all a tremble, interrupting court to bring a message from Claudia. She had stabbed at the stylus in that childish way that she does when she is distraught. ‘Don’t judge this amazing man, Pilate,’ she wrote. ‘I was haunted in dreams of him this night.’

Gaius, I tried to free him. From that moment on I tried and I always will think he knew it. He was a Galilean so I delivered him out of my jurisdiction, but the native King Herod discovered he was born in Judea and sent him right back to me. I appealed to the crowd that had gathered in the streets, hoping that they were his sympathizers, but Caiaphas had stationed agitators to whip up the beast that cry for blood and you know how any citizen here just after breakfast loves to cry for the blood of another. I had him beaten, Gaius, a thorough barracks room beating. I’m still not sure why. To appease the crowd, I guess. But do we Romans really need reasons for beating? Isn’t that the code for anything we don’t understand? Well, it didn’t work, Gaius. The crowd roared like some slavering beast when I brought him back.

If only you could have watched him. They had thrown some rags of purple over his pulped and bleeding shoulders. They jammed a chaplet of thorns down on his forehead and it fit, it all fit! He stood there watching them from my balcony; lame from weakness by now but royal I tell you. Not just pain but pity shining from his eyes and I kept thinking somehow this is monstrous; this is all up-side-down. That purple is real, that crown is real, and somehow these animal noises the crowd is shrieking should be shouts of praise.

Then Caiaphas played his master stroke on me. He announced there in public that this Jesus claimed a crown and that this was treason to Caesar. And then the guards began to glance at each other and that mob of spineless filth began to shout, hail Caesar, hail Caesar. I knew I was beaten and that’s when I gave the order. I couldn’t look at him, Gaius. And then I did a childish thing. I called for water and there on the balcony I washed my hands of that whole wretched affair, but as they led him away I did look up and he turned and looked at me. No smile, no pity, he just glanced at my hands and I have felt the weight of his eyes upon them ever since.

But you’re yawning, Gaius, I’ve kept you up. And the fact of the matter is you are in need of some sleep and some holidays. Yes, sleep. Claudia will be asleep by now. Rows of lighted lamps line her couch. She can’t sleep in the dark anymore. No, not since that afternoon you see, since the afternoon when the sun went out and my guards executed him. That’s what I said, I don’t know how or what or why—I only know that I was there and though it was the middle of the day it turned as black as the tunnels of hell in that miserable city and while I tried to compose Claudia and explain how I had been trapped she railed at me with her dream. She has had that dream ever since when she sleeps in the dark—or some form of it—that there was to be a new Caesar and that I had killed him.

Oh, Gaius we have been to Egypt to their seers and magicians. We have listened by the hour to the oracles in the musty temples of Greece chattering their inanities. We have called it an oriental curse that we are under and we have tried to break it a thousand ways, but there is no breaking it.

Do you know why I kept going, Gaius? Deep within the curse is the haunting, driving certainty that he is still somewhere near, that I still have some unfinished business with him, and that now and then as I walk by the lake he is following me and as much as that strikes terror I wonder if that isn’t the only hope. You see, Gaius, if I could walk up to him this time and salute him and tell him that now I know that whoever else he was he was the only man worthy of his name in Judea that day. Tell him that I know I was entrapped—that I trapped myself. Tell him that here is one Roman that wishes he were Caesar. I believe that would do it wouldn’t it Gaius? I believe he would listen and know I meant it and at last I would see him smile.

Quiet tonight isn’t it Gaius? Not a breeze stirring by the lake. Yes, goodnight. You had better run along. Would you please waken the slave outside the door and tell him to bring me a cloak, my heavy one please. I believe I will walk by the lake. Yes, its dark there, Gaius but I won’t be alone. I guess I really haven’t been alone—not since that day. Yes goodnight, Gaius.”

Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” [2 Timothy 3:16]

In regards to the dream which troubled Pilate’s wife to such a degree that she sent an urgent message to her husband while he sat on the judgement seat of Rome about to pass sentence upon Jesus.

Was her dream an attempt to influence her husband’s decision so as to effect Jesus release?

That clearly was her intent.

The attempt failed...therefore the attempt was decreed to fail.

Why was the attempt decreed to be made than?

What benefits derived from the result in regards Pilate and his wife?

What thoughts were raised in the minds of those led to make the attempt?

What thoughts were raised in those same minds following its failure?

Upvote 0

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:” [2 Timothy 3:16]

In regards to the dream which troubled Pilate’s wife to such a degree that she sent an urgent message to her husband while he sat on the judgement seat of Rome about to pass sentence upon Jesus.

Was her dream an attempt to influence her husband’s decision so as to effect Jesus release?

That clearly was her intent.

The attempt failed...therefore the attempt was decreed to fail.

Why was the attempt decreed to be made than?

What benefits derived from the result in regards Pilate and his wife?

What thoughts were raised in the minds of those led to make the attempt?

What thoughts were raised in those same minds following its failure?

In comparison to theologians, I'm just an ignorant country bumpkin with no credentials. But maybe I'll take a stab at it.

It occurred to me that Jesus performed miracles in the sight of the Jewish leaders who rejected Him. Their rejection of Christ seemed to confirm the fact that if God is not working in someone's heart to submit to His authority, then even seeing miracles won't change their attitude.

So then, Pilate's wife's dream was clearly a supernatural event, and it is likely that Pilate recognized it as such. Although he would likely have believed her report, and that it was a supernatural event, it may be surmised that he ignored it due to several factors:

1. The tendency of people in general to think that the "common sense" idea leads one to believe that the supernatural, dreams, visions, and things like these are merely superstitions or vain imaginations.
2. The peer pressure of those in the Roman system to believe in the Roman gods and reject the Jewish God (or any other for that matter). He may have feared ridicule from his peers, which may have been a greater fear than of knowing that Jesus might actually be the Son of God.
3. The political pressure to appease the Jews so as not to provoke rioting or insurrection, as the Jews had a reputation for. He possibly had pressure from his superiors about it.

There may have been other factors. But my point is that human reasoning along with these pressures are strong influences to suppress a belief or intuition. Pilate certainly knew that the Jews wanted Jesus dead out of envy, and he tried to reason with them, but failed miserably.

So then, why would God give the dream and communicate it to Pilate? A similar question would be why would God put the unbelieving Jews in a position to see the miracles of Christ, only to result in their rejection of Christ? I think it requires the same answer.

In order to show that education, human reasoning, popularity, politics, wealth, human influence, and all that people think is noble, doesn't cause a change in attitude of a person who is bent on making the world his home, and thus being unwilling to abandon his possessions, position, and pride for embracing the truth about who God is.

Such is the nature of the sin principle that people are saturated in. I think that God offers a glimpse of Himself and His power and influence to unbelievers, in order to show them just how steeped in sin they are, perhaps to increase their judgment in the final day. Thus did Jesus declare that He spoke in parables so that "hearing, they would not hear..." and in the same way, in seeing miracles, they still would not see the truth about who Christ was.
TD:)

Upvote 0