To those who doubt "Christian" bands on secular airwaves...

Nanee5

Master of all I survey
Feb 2, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟19,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I happened upon this article, and it really touched my heart. It stated just what I always wanted to say to people who have negative things to say about "Christian" artists playing on secular radio... hope it touches you all also...

http://www.brokenmasterpieces.com/archives/000098.html

Reactions: 6string

steverock

Veteran
Mar 15, 2004
✟9,039.00
Faith
Christian
that is brilliant!
good find!

i like this bit:
Jon Foreman said:
You see, a song that has the words: “Jesus Christ” is no more or less “Christian” than an instrumental piece. (I've heard lot's of people say jesus christ and they weren't talking about their redeemer.) You see, Jesus didn’t die for any of my tunes.

spot on.

Upvote 0

Daisysqueaks

Thank You for Your blessings, Lord
Sep 20, 2004
Missouri
✟10,528.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
That is a great article! Thanks for posting it! Also some people are just scared away by the depth of some of the CC songs that are out there. I applaude the fact that there are groups like Switchfoot that can atleast plant a seed without scaring away someone who may otherwise be skeptical. Only the Lord knows how many have started searching for Truth because of the intregue that a group like this one has. Besides, looking at what's out there as far as secular music it nice to see people listen to a "positive" group.

Upvote 0

6string

Sep 26, 2003
Wilmington DE
Visit site
✟518.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Great article. :thumbsup: I'm gonna share this with my worship group in my next devotional.

I have been saying, too, that a lot of it is perception. Now that I know Jesus, and am aware of what was done for me, I hear his voice everywhere. For instance, the Who's "Reign O'er Me" has become a huge Christian song in my ears! When I hear a song about love now, it is not the physical or worldly love that the writer may have had in mind, but the spiritual love for all of my brothers and sisters - especially those who don't know Christ yet - and for the Father and the Son.

What I'm saying is, even if an artist isn't Christian, it doesn't mean God won't work through them - it's all in our perception.

Upvote 0

Nanee5

Master of all I survey
Feb 2, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟19,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Glad you all liked it! I thought it was awesome. One of the first things I do with a group I like, is see who wrote the songs and read the lyrics. The bible says, paraphrased.. "What is in your heart will come out of your mouth." If Christ is in their hearts,, He is gonna come out of them, in one way or another, whether they use Christ's name or not.. the Spirit is there, and will get the message to people!

Upvote 0

Link214

Jul 28, 2005
✟7,651.00
Faith
Messianic
"I think that it's great that christian music is starting to be on the secular air waves... but, I personally do not like songs that do not mention Christ's name or praise him."

Why is that? I'm not trying to flame or anything, but that's a little silly in my opinion.

And that's a great article. Finally a Christian* band that doesn't sing about God or Jesus. Not that it's wrong, but that's all Christian bands seem to sing about and it gets boring.

*Are they considered a Christian band?

Upvote 0

Nanee5

Master of all I survey
Feb 2, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟19,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Link214 said:
"I think that it's great that christian music is starting to be on the secular air waves... but, I personally do not like songs that do not mention Christ's name or praise him."

Why is that? I'm not trying to flame or anything, but that's a little silly in my opinion.

And that's a great article. Finally a Christian* band that doesn't sing about God or Jesus. Not that it's wrong, but that's all Christian bands seem to sing about and it gets boring.

*Are they considered a Christian band?

Yes, they are a Christian band, and they DO sing about Christ and salvation and all that,, they just don't mention him by name necessarily. But the messages of salvation and redemption is in their songs most definatly. You can't always reach the lost by shoving Jesus down their throats.. you have to love them and meet them where they are, and give them what they need.. Hope.. and who needs hope?? The hopeless... :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Nanee5

Master of all I survey
Feb 2, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟19,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I know what you mean. God calls different bands to do different things. Those He calls to be blatently worshipful.. they have their place. And those He calls to reach the dying and the lost thru more subtle means.. they need to do what God calls them to do! Thanks for your imput!

Upvote 0

6string

Sep 26, 2003
Wilmington DE
Visit site
✟518.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I do want to say that, although I agree with him completely, that it doesn't mean that mentioning Jesus in your music is a bad thing - it's just not every artist's way of witnessing. He doesn't say that no bands should be overtly Christian, just that he feels his lyrics and his life say that for him without the need to use His name.

Does that make any sense?

Upvote 0

steverock

Veteran
Mar 15, 2004
✟9,039.00
Faith
Christian
6string said:
I do want to say that, although I agree with him completely, that it doesn't mean that mentioning Jesus in your music is a bad thing - it's just not every artist's way of witnessing. He doesn't say that no bands should be overtly Christian, just that he feels his lyrics and his life say that for him without the need to use His name.

Does that make any sense?

complete sense.

nail on head :thumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BeautyForAshes

Senior Veteran
Sep 19, 2004
Kansas
✟20,736.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I will just say there is one thing that I don't like about some Christian artist and it has not hing to do with whether or not the name of "Jesus" is spoken in their music.

Back when an artist/band is first starting out making a name for themselves, they have no problem whatsoever identifying themselves as a Christian artist/music in the media or at their live concerts. However (and this is what bothers me) is that once the secular/general media takes notice of them, all of a sudden in interviews and the such, they are like "oh no, we're not a Christian artist/band - we just like to make good music" and I think that's shameful. :( There is a Christian artist that I love who has done this and its so disappointing because its like she's ashamed of Christ now.

Upvote 0

Nanee5

Master of all I survey
Feb 2, 2005
Arkansas
Visit site
✟19,112.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is a Christian artist that I love who has done this and its so disappointing because its like she's ashamed of Christ now.

I know exactly what you mean,, and probably who you are talking about. Yes. that is sad. The group Evanessence did the same thing. They were a Christian band,, and their first song that came out was so good and annointed... then once they got the bighead... "Oh we aren't a Christian band..." Makes me so sick...

Upvote 0