To the gentlemen: When considering women's clothing, what is your stumbling block?

ParentofChildren

Wanderer
Nov 4, 2006
✟9,005.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This question goes out to the all the guys out there and I would really appreciate, if you can help me out.

I don't have a problem with modesty per se, but I would like to know what type of clothing causes many of you guys to lust. I ask this because I'll be going through my closet soon, taking stuff out and trying to buy a better wardrobe and I want to keep my brothers in Christ in mind so I won't be a stumbling block for you. Even if you don't know me, I figured since guys are so visual, I can probably take your opinions into consideration and generalize it into the male community.

And if you wondering why I ask this in the general theology forum, it is because of the issue of modesty. God, in His infinite wisdom, gave us women great principles on the way of which we should dress

1 Timothy 2:9-10
9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11
Proverbs 31:17
17 She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.
1 Peter 3:4
but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.
However there really aren't any "rules" or "standards" to go by with those verses, I don't know how to apply them to the actual clothing, so I was hoping if I can get a feel of what causes you guys to lust, I would know what to stay away from, within reason. --I'm not talking about that guy that is turned on by anything as long as the girl is walking and breathing.

Scripture on this subject matter would be absolutely appreciated. :)

Respectful & modest says it all. Both are subjective to; culture, time, function, and use/audience. WWJ Think seeing you... If you were in a cross country meet, shorts of reasonable length are fine. If you are doing yoga, with woman, yoga pants are fine. Yoga pants to youth group, or a night out, not so much.

How about this, communal steam bathing in Finland. Men and woman in towles only? I say yes, but some literalists say, no?

Good thread, thoughtful

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Respectful & modest says it all. Both are subjective to; culture, time, function, and use/audience. WWJ Think seeing you... If you were in a cross country meet, shorts of reasonable length are fine. If you are doing yoga, with woman, yoga pants are fine. Yoga pants to youth group, or a night out, not so much.

How about this, communal steam bathing in Finland. Men and woman in towles only? I say yes, but some literalists say, no?

Good thread, thoughtful
I think I'll skip the communal steam bath.:D

Upvote 0

squint

Jul 23, 2007
Mountain Regions
✟20,405.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This question goes out to the all the guys out there and I would really appreciate, if you can help me out.

I don't have a problem with modesty per se, but I would like to know what type of clothing causes many of you guys to lust. I ask this because I'll be going through my closet soon, taking stuff out and trying to buy a better wardrobe and I want to keep my brothers in Christ in mind so I won't be a stumbling block for you. Even if you don't know me, I figured since guys are so visual, I can probably take your opinions into consideration and generalize it into the male community.

And if you wondering why I ask this in the general theology forum, it is because of the issue of modesty. God, in His infinite wisdom, gave us women great principles on the way of which we should dress

1 Timothy 2:9-10
9 likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, 10 but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works. 11​
Proverbs 31:17
17 She dresses herself with strength
and makes her arms strong.​
but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.​
However there really aren't any "rules" or "standards" to go by with those verses, I don't know how to apply them to the actual clothing, so I was hoping if I can get a feel of what causes you guys to lust, I would know what to stay away from, within reason. --I'm not talking about that guy that is turned on by anything as long as the girl is walking and breathing.

Scripture on this subject matter would be absolutely appreciated. :)

A woman could wear a black robe over her entire body inclusive of head and if I knew there was a woman underneath my mind would still be subject to having a lustful thought and more than like would have one, particularly if the attempt is stifled by a complete black covering.

Such is the deception of sin. And those who are aware of it's deceptions are subject to the more advanced attempts of deceit.

Job: I made a covenant with mine eyes; why then should I think upon a maid?

I have a similar approach. The problem is dealing with the thoughts, not the clothing. The thoughts really have to be controlled, even cut off dead in their tracks, frequently and often continually. The fact is they are not even our own thoughts, but are of the tempter who can be quite adversarial in this particular arena.

s

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Scripture on this subject matter would be absolutely appreciated.

Getting back to the OP:

The scriptural admonistion is to be "modest" and the immediate examples given indicate that "modesty" in the Christian context means "not attempting to be ostentatious in your own flesh."

That could mean avoiding ostentation in a display of wealth (which were the immediate examples given) but also avoiding ostentation by a display in any self-aggrandizing ways, including sexual attractiveness.

So, scripturally, we're avoiding self-aggrandizement...which means for men that if the desire is for more "swag" the answer is "no."

In terms of sexual self-aggrandizement, anthropologists have discovered some truths that cross all cultures. For instance, seeing the "hour glass" of a woman's figure looks good to men all around the world. In some places, they like a thick hour glass, in some places a thinner hour glass, but a nipped-in waist is an attention-getter everywhere.

Upvote 0

Rev Randy

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Aug 14, 2012
Florida,USA
✟25,153.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Getting back to the OP:

The scriptural admonistion is to be "modest" and the immediate examples given indicate that "modesty" in the Christian context means "not attempting to be ostentatious in your own flesh."

That could mean avoiding ostentation in a display of wealth (which were the immediate examples given) but also avoiding ostentation by a display in any self-aggrandizing ways, including sexual attractiveness.

So, scripturally, we're avoiding self-aggrandizement...which means for men that if the desire is for more "swag" the answer is "no."

In terms of sexual self-aggrandizement, anthropologists have discovered some truths that cross all cultures. For instance, seeing the "hour glass" of a woman's figure looks good to men all around the world. In some places, they like a thick hour glass, in some places a thinner hour glass, but a nipped-in waist is an attention-getter everywhere.
Not everywhere. I like 'em big.;)

Upvote 0