To the bloody end: Lucaspa, science, and atheism

As promised, I am starting a new thread to hash out this non-sense about atheism being faith. I have my own reasons for posting this in Science instead of in Apologetics - but in addition to those, Lucaspa thinks that science is somehow intertwined with this issue. In a remote sense, it is. Part of what I hope to do here is to finally disentangle science from what is chiefly a philosophical debate.

First, Morat: HUGE thumbs up fo your last post in Do evolutionists silence the critics?! You have probably made my work here redundant. Still, I will have my own say in response to Lucaspa.

Second, Lucaspa: See above. If you haven't read Morat's last post there, please do so now!

Now, on to the debate:

So, your criteria of eliminating hypotheses also applies to science.  We are supposed to eliminate any and all hypotheses without empirical support, according to your criteria.  If we follow your criteria, then no one does science. Since science is done, then your criteria is falsified.

On what basis? Is this an example of the pedantry that Morat complained about in his last post? Are you pretending that it must not be acceptable to put forth an hypothesis in hopes that it is true and to test it, in hopes that it may be found meritorious - simply because we are equally well allowed to dismiss it?

Science could not work if every hypothesis offerred carried an obligation to any other than its own proponents that it must be tested before dismissed. I have explained this before, but you disagree:

You are also worried because there are an infinite number of wrong hypotheses out there and we are not supposed to consider them.  Again, science does not agree.  You have heard that science is tentative.  That is, its conclusions are not final.  One reason for this is that one of the infinite hypotheses out there might explain the data better. Therefore we can't dismiss them out of hand.

Now, when you provide a reference that clearly demonstrates "science's" opinion on this, I will possibly accept that "science" does not agree with me. Right now, it is obvious to me only that you disagree.

Indeed science is tentative. Indeed, I have heard that.

Indeed, its conclusions are not final.

One reason for this is truly that one (a finite number) of the infinite (a much larger number) of the possible hypotheses out there might better explain the data. Therefore, we must continue to do science: that is, we must continue to propose and test hypotheses from this loaded-dice search space, and me must constantly re-evalutate our theories with new data.

Still, you have not countered my argument. The argument is not that we are forbidden from working with unproven hypotheses: it is only that we are allowed to dismiss any that are untested unless we choose not to! The force of this statement becomes far more powerful when we begin discussing those hypotheses that are, in principle, unfalsifiable.

As you have mentioned, no test of an hypothesis carries any weight unless there is the possibility of falsifying that hypothesis. Since we will never be able to take a whole class of hypotheses to the scientific method for potential falsification, then we cannot do science with these hypotheses. They are worthless to science, and must be dismissed - out of hand. This is the view of methodological naturalism, and that is one of the cornerstones of science.

Philosophical naturalism (which generally can be divided into the different types of atheism) is merely the observation that it cannot demonstrated that we lose any valuable knowledge by extending the principles of science to the principles of knowledge, as a metaphysics or epistemology. It can only be demonstrated that it is conceivable that we could lose valuable knowledge by doing this. Since no metaphysics, and no epistemology can be shown to be more effective at maximizing our ability to accurately know, then philosophical naturalism is a perfectly good metaphysics for those of us without the desire for faith in things that are beyond empirical knowledge.

Until an idea is falsified, no matter how outlandish it may seem to you, it can't be dismissed.

You have shown no grounds for this statement. You have not shown that by dismissing the undemonstrable, or even the undemonstrated, as we see fit, we stand to lose anything of value.

You seem to be horrified by the idea that we may dismiss a good hypothesis, merely because it is uncertain. The fact is, though, that we trade our uncertainty on an idea for uncertainty in our accepted theories. Instead of remaining obtusely agnostic on any given hypothesis (I remain agnostic on the matter of a Northern-dwelling magic elf), no matter how outlandish, we disbelieve them, and remain agnostic about our current understanding of the world. (I disbelieve in the existence of a Northern-dwelling magic elf, but I constantly re-evaluate my theories, and look for new data to improve them. If I am wrong in my disbelief in the Northern-dwelling magic elf, there is as good a chance that I will correct that mistake as that I will correct any other mistake).

.....On to the real meat of the matter.

Your biggest mistake, lucaspa, is this false dichotomy:

Yet atheism claims not to be a faith, which means it must be knowledge.

Cottage cheese is not faith - must it therefore be knowledge?

Atheism is not cottage cheese: it is disbelief. Disbelief (without cause to believe) is neither faith nor knowledge. We believe an hypothesis out of a sense of faith or out of a sense of knowledge. We disbelieve the same hypothesis because we lack either of the other two senses of it. We disbelieve because we have no knowledge of its truth, and because we also have no faith that it is true.

Agnosticism, is the position of great caution. Agnosticism would prefer to remain uncertain - neither believing or disbelieving - in spite of the lack of a compelling reason (either faith or knowledge) to believe. The outcome is that the agnostic can claim not to believe or disbelieve falsely (on questions of knowledge), but is left in the untenable position of having to remain "uncertain" of the existence of Northern-dwelling magic elves.

The biggest point here is that faith/knowledge is a false dichotomy. Other positions are available and tenable: disbelief is one, and is a matter of neither faith nor knowledge but instead their absence. Complete uncertainty is another option - the agnostic position - it is also the absence of faith or knowledge. So instead of the dichotomy faith vs knowledge (which is probably a true dichotomy where it concerns positive beliefs), you have a dichotomy of faith or knowledge on the one side and uncertainty or disbelief on the other.

When you consider where weak atheism belongs on this better dichotomy, you find that it obviously is neither faith nor knowledge (as it is not a positive belief), but it is disbelief.

Weak atheists prefer to hold their positive beliefs from a sense of knowledge, and their negative ones from a sense of disbelief.

I certainly hope this is clear now.

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Jerry Smith
As promised, I am starting a new thread to hash out this non-sense about atheism being faith.

You can have faith in a sugar pill and get results at least 33% of the time. It has even been proposed you can get results up to 66% of the time using a placebo.

As Norman Vincent Pearl and now Robert  Schuller will tell you, there is power to positive thinking. If nothing else, just because it is steadfast and consistant.

But the results you get with human faith is nothing compared to the results you get with God's divine faith.

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
So we might get more results from atheism if it were faith? 

Christianity is a faith, because we have God's divine faith in us. There are people who put their faith in atheism. But they will find out soon enough that was a mistake.

Upvote 0
Christianity is a faith, because we have God's divine faith in us.

True, Christianity is a faith.

There are people who put their faith in atheism.

There are people who do not have faith in God (etc.) - these people are called atheists. Atheism (as has been discussed at length) is not a faith, but rather the absence thereof.

But they will find out soon enough that was a mistake.

At which point (assuming this comes to pass) faith will become redundant. They will have knowledge of God. Atheists, in general, are no less open to correcting their own mistakes than others. Should it come to be that I realize my atheism is a mistake, I will gladly adopt belief in God (or whatever other supernatural entities have turned up to show my error).

Upvote 0

JohnR7

Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There are people who do not have faith in God (etc.) - these people are called atheists. Atheism (as has been discussed at length) is not a faith, but rather the absence thereof. 

You have to have faith or trust that there is no God. Because if there were a God, then you will be held accountable for everything you say, think or do, and it will effect the way you live.

Atheists have faith that they will not go before the judgment throne of God to be judged for what they did with their life.

They may have faith in something else. A lot of people seem to have faith to believe that as long as they are a good person, then even if there were a God, they would be alright, because they did their best to live a good life. But they are dependant on Christians to set the standard for them.

Or you can have a Jerry Springer sort of faith. As long as I can put someone down, or find someone worse then me. Then that makes me look good and I can deceive myself into thinking I am a good person.

Upvote 0
You have to have faith or trust that there is no God.

No, that would be a positive belief. What I have is a disbelief that there is a God. Disbelief requires no faith.

Because if there were a God, then you will be held accountable for everything you say, think or do, and it will effect the way you live.

If there is no God, I hold myself accountable for everything I say, think, and do. It very much affects the way I live. But even if I didn't, that wouldn't change the fact that my disbelief is not positive faith, but rather the absence of it.

They may have faith in something else.

They very well may, and they very well may be right to (or they may be wrong to).

A lot of people seem to have faith to believe that as long as they are a good person, then even if there were a God, they would be alright, because they did their best to live a good life.

Thus begins an entirely different philosophical discussion. Let it be enough to say that if God exists, They must either be Good or not Good, and Just or Not Just. Reason shows us that a Good and Just God will not be more harsh on the unbeliever simply because they remained unconvinced while others were convinced. Reason shows us that the believer must fear the unjust or evil God just as much as the unbeliever.

But they are dependant on Christians to set the standard for them.

This self-important thought is merely wishful thinking.

Or you can have a Jerry Springer sort of faith. As long as I can put someone down, or find someone worse then me. Then that makes me look good and I can deceive myself into thinking I am a good person.

You are right. It is something that I teach my kids: the possibility of a worse action does not justify a bad one, and the fact that others do wrong more often than I does not make it ok for me to do wrong. But this has nothing to do with atheism being a faith.

Please read the thread under "Do evolutionists silence the critics?" Most of the last few pages are committed to exactly this discussion: Is atheism faith? It turns out that the answer is no, and that is why this thread is here.

The topic of this thread is "Atheism isn't faith". If you still believe atheism is faith, and have an argument to support your position, then please present it. If you agree with me that atheism is the absence of a particular kind of faith, then I would welcome a statement of agreement from you. If you have tangential topics to discuss, I would appreciate it you posted them to another thread.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think a lot of the problem is caused by a few malcontents who are angry enough at religion that they actively *do* pursue atheism in a way consistent with religion; they adhere rigidly to a dogma, they reject things associated with competing dogmas, they actively try to convert people... Somewhere around there, these people have managed to create a religion. Furthermore, these people are often *very* pushy about the "not a religion" thing, which rather poisons the well for all the people who simply don't believe.

Strong atheism is faith. Weak atheism is either strong agnosticism or a lack of opinion.

Upvote 0

Morat

Untitled One
Jun 6, 2002
Visit site
✟12,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Good post, Jerry. (Specifically, the first one). Why is it that we always see other's words as far clearer than our own?

I found your post a far clearer explanation of what I was trying to say than anything I could pound out.

Admittedly, your's contains far fewer grammer and spelling mistakes. The perils of typing fast.....

Seebs:
Strong atheism is faith. Weak atheism is either strong agnosticism or a lack of opinion.
Strong atheism can be faith, I agree. It's definetly a "There is no God" sort of position. No always, however. It really depends on the nitty-gritty of how you define faith.

However, if you're looking for faith in atheists, the strong ones are were to start searching. They can defend their own faith (or lack of) themselves.

Weak atheism as lack of opinion or strong agnositicism? I don't know about that one. Neither Jerry or I believe, because we lack knowledge or faith. I, at least, have an opinion, based on my lack of knowledge and faith.

I guess it depends on what "strong agnosticism" means.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
You know, when you said you were starting a new thread, I naively thought it would have some neutral title. 

Originally posted by Jerry Smith As promised, I am starting a new thread to hash out this non-sense about atheism being faith. I have my own reasons for posting this in Science instead of in Apologetics -

Well, that certainly states the issue in neutral terms, doesn't it?  So before we start my position is "non-sense". 

The reason this isn't in Apologetics is because I'm not making any statements about the ultimate validity of theism or atheism.  First,

Morat: Do evolutionists silence the critics?! You have probably made my work here redundant. Second, Lucaspa: See above. If you haven't read Morat's last post there, please do so now!

Been there, done that, and responded there. However, I think I should repeat that post here.  But before I do, let's clarify one thing: Now, on to the debate:

This is not a debate. It's a discussion of the statement: atheism is a faith.  Is that an accurate description of atheism or not?  A debate is a contest with rules and a declared "winner" and "loser".  Such a winner or loser has no bearing on whether the statement is true or not.  It only decides who is a better debator. 

Originally posted by Morat To believe in something without reason is faith. ... <I>If believing in something without reason is faith, and not believing in something without reason is also faith, then you can't avoid faith</I>

Ah, here's the problem.&nbsp; I got to this in the last post, but here you state it clearly.&nbsp; GIGO. If you start off with the wrong premise, you will, of course, end up with the wrong conclusion.&nbsp; Faith is <B>not</B> believing something without <B>reason; </B>faith is believing in something without <B>proof</B>.&nbsp;&nbsp; From Merriam-Webster: "2 a (1) : belief and trust in and loyalty to God (2) : belief in the traditional doctrines of a religion b (1) : firm belief in something for which there is no proof" Now, go to "belief" "3 : conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence "&nbsp; Now go to "proof"&nbsp; "1 a : the cogency of evidence that compels acceptance by the mind of a truth or a fact"

The short answer to your complaint is: Yes, most of our existence involves faith statements; we can't avoid them.&nbsp; For the simple reason that we almost never have the totality of evidence necessary to compel acceptance.

So, when atheism says deity does not exist, then it is faith because there is no compelling evidence for that.&nbsp; When theists say deity does exist it is faith because, although they have reason and evidence, they don't have the evidence necessary to compel acceptance.

One last note: I see you are still trying to use the semantic sleight of hand "not believing in something".&nbsp; That is equivalent to saying "believing something does not exist".&nbsp;

Some of the myths that have infiltrated atheism are clearly evident now.&nbsp; One is the myth that faith involves no reasons.&nbsp; Yet any theist will give you his/her reasons for believing as they do.&nbsp; You and I disagree with the reasons but they are reasons.

Now, once again let's look at <B>your</B> major reason for your faith:&nbsp;<I>My existance and experience does not give me any reason to believe God exists</I>.&nbsp;&nbsp;Your experience does not include any experience of deity, as it includes experience of diners.&nbsp; <B>Your</B> experience (and mine) is no experience of deity.&nbsp; Therefore you&nbsp;hypothesize from that&nbsp;that deity does not exist. A logical hypothesis.&nbsp; A reasonable hypothesis.&nbsp; But is it the <B>only</B> hypothesis you and I can make?&nbsp; No.&nbsp; I already listed some alternative hypotheses:&nbsp; we lack the deity detecting module in our brain; deity doesn't choose to contact us; we have been contacted but didn't recognize it for what it was.

Since the alternative hypotheses have not been falsified and, even by your standards we don't have verification that our untested hypothesis is correct, we have no compelling evidence (or any evidence) to say it's true.&nbsp; Belief without compelling evidence is faith.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Jerry Smith&nbsp; The argument is not that we are forbidden from working with&nbsp;unproven hypotheses: it is only that we are allowed to dismiss any that are untested unless we choose not to!

This is worse.&nbsp; Who does the choosing? What criteria is the choosing based upon?&nbsp; You are saying that we get to throw out hypotheses on personal whim?&nbsp; When we "dismiss" them, how do we know they were wrong?&nbsp; You do realize that nearly all the currently accepted major theories were dismissed at one time or another by some scientists. For instance, what would have happened if Special Relativity would have been chosen to be dismissed when it was untested? Right now ekpyrotic theory is untested.&nbsp; Are we allowed to dismiss it?

Let's bring this close to home.&nbsp; An argument used&nbsp;to "prove"&nbsp;theism that we have seen on this board is First Cause to get&nbsp;the universe.&nbsp;The hypothesis is deity had to create the universe.&nbsp; I have countered&nbsp;that "proof" by pointing to 3 alternative hypotheses for First Cause: logical and mathematical necessity, quantum fluctuation, and No-Boundary.&nbsp; NONE of them have been tested. And, in principle, they don't appear to be testable (and therefore unfalsifiable).&nbsp; Now you say we can dismiss untested hypotheses!&nbsp; OK, we dismiss all 3 of them and now there is no alternative to deity creating the universe.&nbsp; The data says that the universe could not have existed forever.&nbsp; Theism has just been "proven".

The force of this statement becomes far more powerful when we begin discussing those hypotheses that are, in principle, unfalsifiable.

[lucaspa] So, your criteria of eliminating hypotheses also applies to science.&nbsp; We are supposed to eliminate any and all hypotheses without empirical support, according to your criteria.&nbsp; If we follow your criteria, then no one does science. Since science is done, then your criteria is falsified.

Is this an example of the pedantry that Morat complained about in his last post? Are you pretending that it must not be&nbsp;acceptable to put forth an hypothesis in hopes that it is true and to test it, in hopes that it may be found meritorious - simply because we are equally well allowed to dismiss it
?

&nbsp;:scratch: It was your criteria.&nbsp; I'm stating the logical consequences of that criteria.&nbsp;You were stating that we couldn't put hypotheses forward without evidence.&nbsp; Well, since&nbsp;nearly all hypotheses are put forward without evidence, your criteria stopped science.

Now you are claiming that that we get to dismiss hypotheses before testing. Well, if we do that, then how do we do science?&nbsp; It's the same thing as before.&nbsp; It's valid to declare a hypothesis wrong -- dismiss it -- prior to testing.&nbsp; Yet without testing, how do you know it's wrong?

Science could not work if every hypothesis offerred carried an obligation to any other than its own proponents that it must be tested before dismissed.

Why not?&nbsp; Most theorectical physicists don't do their own testing. Einstein and Hawking do not.&nbsp; They rely on others to test the hypothesis before dismissal.&nbsp; Physics doesn't seem to have suffered.

Now, what appears to have happened is that you have confused testing itself with who does the testing. All hypotheses get tested. The sequence of events is usually:
1. The scientist formulates the hypothesis.
2. The science mentally checks the hypothesis against the database of known data in his memory.&nbsp; Most hypotheses are refuted right there.
3. If the hypothesis survives the first check, the scientist does a literature search and verbally discusses the hypothesis with colleagues and they test the hypothesis against knowledge they have.&nbsp; Most of the surviving hypotheses die at this step.
4. The scientist can either 1) put the hypothesis out in journals devoted to this (Journal of Theoretical Biology, for example), give it to a colleague who wants to test it, or test it himself.&nbsp; The latter is preferred since there is more personal gain.
5.&nbsp; The scientists does the experiment. Either the hypothesis is refuted or it is supported. If it is refuted the scientist may or may not publish, depending on whether refutation was conclusive.&nbsp;Supported hypotheses go for publication.
6. The peer-reviewers test the hypothesis.&nbsp; Some hypotheses die here as the paper is rejected.
7. After publication one of two things happen. Either the hypothesis is in a field that no one cares about and it is never tested again or it is noteworthy and it is either tested directly by others or it is tested indirectly by becoming one of the bundle of supported hypotheses in the new experiment.

[lucaspa] You are also worried because there are an infinite number of wrong hypotheses out there and we are not supposed to consider them.&nbsp; Again, science does not agree.&nbsp; You have heard that science is tentative.&nbsp; That is, its conclusions are not final.&nbsp; One reason for this is that one of the infinite hypotheses out there might explain the data better. Therefore we can't dismiss them out of hand.

Now, when you provide a reference that clearly demonstrates "science's" opinion on this, I will possibly accept that "science" does not agree with me

I did this in the post where this appeared. Apparently you didn't read the quote from Eldredge.&nbsp; I will post it again with an additional one from Davies showing the position of science.

"1.&nbsp; Tachyons:&nbsp; can we rule them out.

The special theory of relativity has been tested to unprecedented accuracy, and appears unassailable.&nbsp; Yet tachyons are a problem.&nbsp; Though they are allowed by the theory, they bring with them all sorts of unpalatable properties.&nbsp; Physicists would like to rule them out once and for all, but lack a convincing nonexistence proof.&nbsp; Until they construct one, we cannot be sure that a tachyon won't sudently be discovered.

3.&nbsp; Time travel:&nbsp; just a fanstasy?

The investigation of exotic spacetimes that seem to permit travel into the past will remain an active field of research.&nbsp; So far, the loophole in the known laws of physics that permits time travel is very small indeed.&nbsp; Realistic time-travel scenarios are not known at the time of writing.&nbsp; But as with tachyons, in the absence of a no-go proof, the possibility has to stay on the agenda.&nbsp; So long as it does, paradoxes will haunt us.''&nbsp; Paul Davies, About Time, 1994.

"On the other hand, the basic prediction of evolution, as we have just seen, is abundantly confirmed.&nbsp; Does this mean that we have proven evolution to be "true"?&nbsp; It is more accurate to say that, thus far, we have failed to *falsify* the notion of evolution, but it is always possible that new observations will show the apparent pattern of progressive similarity that seems to link up all of life is, in some sense, false.&nbsp; Also, it is possible that someone in the future will come up with an idea other than evolution that will also predict the patterns of similarity we see in the organic realm."&nbsp; Niles Eldredge, The Monkey Business, A Scientist Looks at Creationism, 1982, pg. 38
Indeed science is tentative. Indeed, I have heard that.

As you have mentioned, no test of an hypothesis carries any weight unless there is the possibility of falsifying that hypothesis.

I didn't mention that. Please provide the quote.

Since we will never be able to take a whole class of hypotheses to the scientific method for potential falsification, then we cannot do science with these hypotheses.

This is the idea that ideas are not science unless they are falsifiable. That is not true.&nbsp; Science works by falsification. But being unfalsifiable does not exclude a hypothesis from what we consider science. And being falsifiable does not necessarily mean that a hypothesis is scientific.&nbsp; Falsifiability is NOT a criteria to distinguish what is science from what is not science.&nbsp;

Also, being unfalsifiable does not mean it is wrong.&nbsp; Remember those 3 alternatives for First Cause?&nbsp; None of them are falsifiable.&nbsp; But that has nothing to say whether they are First Cause or not.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
There are people who do not have faith in God (etc.) - these people are called atheists. Atheism (as has been discussed at length) is not a faith, but rather the absence thereof.&nbsp;

Jerry, this is where the thread started.&nbsp; Atheism as stated this way is
1. Incorrect semantics
2. Unstable.

"Do not believe a deity exists" is the same as saying "believe a deity does not exist".&nbsp; The only&nbsp;purpose is to allow the speaker to pretend atheism is not a faith.

A simple lack of faith doesn't hold testing. You can't stay at simply negative statements.&nbsp; And you don't.

For instance, look at this:They [unfalsifiable hypotheses] are worthless to science, and must be dismissed - out of hand. This is the view of methodological naturalism, and that is one of the cornerstones of science.

You have just made a very positive statement about what is true and not true.&nbsp; Of course, you have completely misstated methodological materialism, and I will go into that in the next post.

Again, the problem comes down to Butler's hypothesis:

"The only distinct meaning of the word 'natural' is stated, fixed, or settled; since what is natural as much requires and presupposes an intelligent agent to render it so, i.e., to effect it continually or at stated times, as what is supernatural or miraculous does to effect it for once."&nbsp; Butler:&nbsp; Analogy of Revealed Religion

Now atheism is faced not with a general "lack of belief" in deity, but a position on the nature of the physical universe.&nbsp; If you say "Butler is wrong and natural works all by itself" then you are making a statement that isn't backed by science. That is where we got into the whole thing of dismissing hypotheses.&nbsp; You have to dismiss this hypothesis and say it is wrong without the data to do so.&nbsp; Now you have a very definite faith statement: natural = without deity.&nbsp; No evidence at all and no reason to suppose you are correct.

If you say Butler is correct you are a theist.&nbsp; If you say you don't know if Butler is correct at all then you are an agnostic.&nbsp; Weak atheism breaks down. It survives only in those who don't examine closely the consequences of what they are saying.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by lucaspa

"Do not believe a deity exists" is the same as saying "believe a deity does not exist".&nbsp; The only&nbsp;purpose is to allow the speaker to pretend atheism is not a faith.

This is not so. Lack of opinion is an option.

I believe that Mary, mother of Jesus, was a real person. I have a clear belief here.
I believe that Mary was not a blonde, blue-eyed, woman. I have a clear belief here.
I do not believe that Mary was over 5' tall. I also do not believe that she was under 5' tall, or exactly 5' tall. I have *no opinion* on that question.

The position generally called "agnosticism" or "weak atheism" is "I have no opinion on the existance of deities". This precludes making any decisions predicated on their existance, and in that respect, acts a lot like dis-belief, but also precludes any firm assertion that such beliefs are false - and in that sense, is *different*, and is not a truth claim.

There are many issues on which most people have no opinion. My wife is working on a fantasy universe. I suspect you have no opinion on whether or not the fantasy universe in question has a continent called "North Umbria". You do not *deny* that there could be such a continent; you just have no reason to believe there is one.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
As you have mentioned, no test of an hypothesis carries any weight unless there is the possibility of falsifying that hypothesis. Since we will never be able to take a whole class of hypotheses to the scientific method for potential falsification, then we cannot do science with these hypotheses. They are worthless to science, and must be dismissed - out of hand. This is the view of methodological naturalism, and that is one of the cornerstones of science.

Philosophical naturalism&nbsp;(which generally can be&nbsp;divided into the different types of atheism)&nbsp;is merely the observation that&nbsp;it cannot demonstrated that we lose any valuable&nbsp;knowledge by extending the principles of science to the principles of knowledge, as a metaphysics or epistemology.&nbsp;

Methodological materialism arises directly from how we do experiments.&nbsp; MM (or methodoligical naturalism) is simply that science is incapable of testing anything other than material causes.&nbsp; Here's why:

You want to find ALL causes/entities necessary for plant growth.&nbsp; So you go out and get a number of plants.&nbsp; You put them in the following conditions:
1. Sunlight, water, soil, air
2. Sunlight, water, soil, but in a clear box where the air has been pumped out.
3. Sunlight, water, no soil, air.
4. Sunlight, no water, soil, air
5. A darkened box with no sunlight, water, soil, air.

This scientific protocol will tell you if these 4 entities/causes are necessary for plant growth.&nbsp; You can add others if you wish but you will follow the same scientific protocol of having a control where you KNOW the entity is absent and compare it to an experimental where you KNOW the entity is present.

Now comes the kicker.&nbsp; How about the supernatural? Where is my control for that?&nbsp; Which plant can I point to and say "this one has NO supernatural in it?"&nbsp; I can't. Therefore I am limited to looking at only material causes that I can set up "controls" for.

What this leads to is that science is unable to comment on the possible superintendence of nature by deity. We can't test Butler's statement because we simply don't have the methodology to do so.

Philsophical naturalism is the belief that there are no other causes in nature but the material ones.&nbsp;

Eugenie C. Scott in review of Johnsons's book.&nbsp; On the WWW at http://natcenscied.org/aladont.htm

"Science as practiced today is methodologically naturalistic: it explains the natural world using only natural causes. Science cannot explain (or test explanations about) the supernatural. There is also an independent sort of naturalism, philosophical naturalism, a belief (not science, but belief) that the universe consists only of matter and energy and that there are no supernatural beings, forces, or causes."

"

A final form of naturalism is <I>ontological</I> naturalism. This is the opinion that all that exists (Classical Greek: <I lang=el>on-</I> , root form of 'to be', from which 'ontology' is derived, hence, 'the study of that which exists') is natural. Many scientists are also physicalists. They argue that if we do not need to postulate the reality of non-physical processes for science, then we can conclude that there are no such things. This argument is too quick. The claim that 'if A then B' explains B may be true, but there may also be a C that explains B. Moreover, many things in the physical world are caused by many things together rather than just a few. So, we might say that a physical event is caused both by God <I>and</I> by the physical causes, without being logically inconsistent"&nbsp; http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolphil/naturalism.html

"It should come as no surprise that many individual scientists, such as Provine, extrapolate from hard evidence and, as part of their private world view, apply the rules of their profession to reach metaphysical conclusions about what kinds of things do or do not exist.&nbsp; Provine is obvously impressed with the explanatory power of evolutionary theory and sees no justification for invoking surpernatural concepts. ...But there are no generally accepted criteria for when an explanation should be felt to be adequate [emphasis in original]&nbsp; We have no alternative but to consign such judgements to the private world view of each individual. Johnson is right to challenge scientists who, in speaking to the public, fail to distinguish between well-documentd conclusions of science and their own metaphysical extrapolations."&nbsp; K.D Fezer, Is Science's Naturalism Metaphysical or Methodological? in Creation/Evolution, vol 39, pp31-33, 1996.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
In an effort to get this all in one thread, I will move my replies to the "Semantic Holism" thread. Please look for them there.

What is this&nbsp;move and dance?&nbsp; This is the second time you've moved threads. What, hoping I won't follow one time?&nbsp;

Sorry, you started this thread. I'm not moving again.&nbsp; Come on back or give it up.

Upvote 0

lucaspa

Legend
Oct 22, 2002
New York
✟32,309.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by seebs
This is not so. Lack of opinion is an option.

I believe that Mary, mother of Jesus, was a real person. I have a clear belief here.
I believe that Mary was not a blonde, blue-eyed, woman. I have a clear belief here.
I do not believe that Mary was over 5' tall. I also do not believe that she was under 5' tall, or exactly 5' tall. I have *no opinion* on that question.

The position generally called "agnosticism" or "weak atheism" is "I have no opinion on the existance of deities".&nbsp;

Oh, boy. Now we have yet another attempt to redefine weak atheism!&nbsp; Now&nbsp;you want to equate it to agnosticism.&nbsp; Sorry,&nbsp;but that has already been rejected by Morat,&nbsp;Jeffrey, and others.&nbsp; I&nbsp;have shown that, upon examination, weak atheism will reduce to either strong atheism&nbsp;or agnosticism.&nbsp;

Let's gloss your examples:

"I believe that Mary, mother of Jesus, was a real person. I have a clear belief here.
I believe that Mary was not a blonde, blue-eyed, woman. I have a clear belief here. "

So far, so good.&nbsp; However, your last statement can also be stated:
"I do know whether Mary was over 5' tall. I also do know that she was under 5' tall, or exactly 5' tall."

Now you've indeed got agnosticism.&nbsp; What you have done is substitute "belief" for "know".&nbsp; In fact, you don't know whether Mary was a real person nor do you know her hair and eye color.&nbsp; So you make a statement of belief in the absence of knowledge.&nbsp; Your last statement isn't one of "belief", but rather a statement of your knowledge: none.

But that statement of knowledge is indeed the neutral one.&nbsp; The one I've been trying to get Morat and Jerry to acknowledge exists. Wouldn't you say that it is possible for Mary to have any of those ranges of heights?&nbsp;

What I was pointing out was that "do not believe" as they are stating it is the same as "believe does not".&nbsp; If they want to state their knowledge, then do so.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by lucaspa
Oh, boy. Now we have yet another attempt to redefine weak atheism!&nbsp; Now&nbsp;you want to equate it to agnosticism.&nbsp; Sorry,&nbsp;but that has already been rejected by Morat,&nbsp;Jeffrey, and others.&nbsp; I&nbsp;have shown that, upon examination, weak atheism will reduce to either strong atheism&nbsp;or agnosticism.&nbsp;

So far as I can tell, weak atheism is indeed equivalent to weak agnosticism. (It is not the same as strong agnosticism, the active belief that no one knows.) So? Lots of words share meanings.

"Lack of belief" is one of the two common definitions.

Now you've indeed got agnosticism.&nbsp; What you have done is substitute "belief" for "know".&nbsp; In fact, you don't know whether Mary was a real person nor do you know her hair and eye color.&nbsp; So you make a statement of belief in the absence of knowledge.&nbsp; Your last statement isn't one of "belief", but rather a statement of your knowledge: none.

No, it's a statement of belief. In the former cases, I do not know, but I have a belief. In the latter case, I do not know, and I *also* do not have a *belief*.

What I was pointing out was that "do not believe" as they are stating it is the same as "believe does not".&nbsp; If they want to state their knowledge, then do so.

I don't think this is strictly true. I will grant, there is often a substantial degree of confusion, because some people play that game, but I do not believe that Jerry and Morat are among them.

Upvote 0