To married, Jesus-loving Christian guys only.

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I actually agree with you on the scripture could very well apply to "for the sake of the poor". Im only saying it is not in the text. Here are a few translations that seem to agree with the thought that women should not dress in an indecent manner. But I agree I would have to put my "opinion" in to get a certain dress code "out" of the text.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 GOD’S WORD Translation (GW)
9 I want women to show their beauty by dressing in appropriate clothes that are modest and respectable. Their beauty will be shown by what they do, not by their hair styles or the gold jewelry, pearls, or expensive clothes they wear. 10 This is what is proper for women who claim to have reverence for God.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
9 Also, the women are to dress themselves in modest clothing, with decency and good sense, not with elaborate hairstyles, gold, pearls, or expensive apparel, 10 but with good works, as is proper for women who affirm that they worship God.

1 Timothy 2:9-10 English Standard Version (ESV)
9 that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

Before you go quoting all the various translations, you really should read my article...

One of the errors that everyone seems to make is ignoring 1 Tim. 2:8...

Therefore I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and dissension.

The very next word Paul uses is "Likewise..." meaning that the instructions to women has a similarity to what he just told the men. But the fact is that "Pray and don't be contentious" has nothing at all to do with "Keep your body parts covered."

And that should alert us to the fact that we don't correctly understand Paul if we can't understand how these two commands to men and women are related.

David

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The context of the verse itself makes clear that the point is to avoid ostentation (flaunting one's wealth)... and in that meaning only does the word "modest" apply (I live in a modest house on a modest income, and I drive a modest car). That meaning of "modest" has nothing to do with sexual propriety.
This!!!! Say it again!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Furthermore, I would suggest that for that an other reasons, the current translation we have from the Greek is flawed. I've done an extensive study and review of this passage, and I've written my findings in this document:

Rightly Dividing 1 Timothy 2:9
Very interesting article. Have you checked the LXX for usage of the usage of the words kosmos and kosmeo?

Upvote 0

MyChainsAreGone

Image Bearer
Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
✟36,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting article. Have you checked the LXX for usage of the usage of the words kosmos and kosmeo?
Thanks.

I think I looked a little into it, but as I recall, there was not much clarity to be found there. I wish I had a better tool resource to research LXX information... do you know of a free online tool?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics