To know Christ is only possible in the Orthodox Church?

questionman

Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I apologize for reposting this- I posted this in another forum before I knew about this one (To know Christ is only possible in the Orthodox Church?).

---

I am only now inquiring/browsing the teachings of the Orthodox Church in my spiritual journey and I came across this and wanted to ask about it.

On the official website of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America website (goarch.org), there is an article called "Teachings of the Orthodox Church" (Teachings of the Orthodox Church - Introduction to Orthodoxy Articles - Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America).

In the second paragraph, the article states:

"Orthodoxy believes that the Christian Faith and the Church are inseparable. It is impossible to know Christ, to share in the life of the Holy Trinity, or to be considered a Christian, apart from the Church. It is in the Church that the Christian Faith is proclaimed and maintained. It is through the Church that an individual is nurtured in the Faith."

My question is to clarify the phrases in bold.

Orthodox Church members, do you believe that this means the official Orthodox Church or the "invisible church" of all believers? Do you believe it is impossible to know Christ or be considered a Christian if you are not a member of the Orthodox Church?

I guess that would include me and all other Protestants, and I guess Catholics too?

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
you can only truly and fully know Christ in the Orthodox Church. every other denomination has a distorted or incomplete view.

this, however, doesn't mean they aren't Christians or by default aren't saved.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
you can only truly and fully know Christ in the Orthodox Church. every other denomination has a distorted or incomplete view.

Just asking Matt... there are no errors at all in the Orthodox faith?

• Useful
Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

questionman

Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
USA
✟56,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for replying, ArmyMatt. What would you say is the most significant aspect missing from every other denomination that makes the other views distorted or incomplete?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟376,644.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Orthodoxy believes that the Christian Faith and the Church are inseparable. It is impossible to know Christ, to share in the life of the Holy Trinity, or to be considered a Christian, apart from the Church. It is in the Church that the Christian Faith is proclaimed and maintained. It is through the Church that an individual is nurtured in the Faith."

This does not seems to agree with Matt...

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for replying, ArmyMatt. What would you say is the most significant aspect missing from every other denomination that makes the other views distorted or incomplete?

that depends on the denomination. what one do you have in mind?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks. My point being, and I know you are an intelligent man and this isn't lost on you.... "So it is with us all." :)

Be blessed!
Ken

thanks! but I dare say that only Orthodoxy can historically back up their claim.

Upvote 0

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married

So according to your statement you believe that a person can be a saved Christian even though they don't truly know Christ? But your sect has the only way to truly know Christ?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So according to your statement you believe that a person can be a saved Christian even though they don't truly know Christ? But your sect has the only way to truly know Christ?

yes, because God is infinitely merciful. and when I said saved, I meant when they die or Christ returns and see Him as He is.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
how does that not agree with me?

Explain how someone cannot be considered to be a Christian., which is what the bit in red said, yet not being considered to be a Christian does not mean that they aren't a Christian which is what you said. The two statements seem to be contradictory . Are you defining The Church in a way that includes more than the Orthodox Church?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TreWalker

Jewish Magen Am
Jul 20, 2019
Pacific Northwest
✟83,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
yes, because God is infinitely merciful. and when I said saved, I meant when they die or Christ returns and see Him as He is.
So what would it matter to be orthodox at all if salvation comes to those who don't truly know Christ? And why does being Christian matter if God will be merciful and save me in the end even though I don't really know him? Do you believe in salvation for all no matter what? What good is it for you to claim the orthodox truly know Christ if it has no bearing on ones own salvation, or position as a Christian?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Explain how someone cannot be considered to be a Christian., which is what the bit in red said, yet not being considered to be a Christian does not mean that they aren't a Christian which is what you said. The two statements seem to be contradictory . Are you defining The Church in a way that includes more than the Orthodox Church?

actually, what I said was:

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So what would it matter to be orthodox at all if salvation comes to those who don't truly know Christ? And why does being Christian matter if God will be merciful and save me in the end even though I don't really know him? Do you believe in salvation for all no matter what? What good is it for you to claim the orthodox truly know Christ if it has no bearing on ones own salvation, or position as a Christian?

Excuse me for butting in but does everything we do need to be done with the goal of obtaining salvation? If God offers you salvation and you accept it why do anything else as you already got what you wanted? Is that your question?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

because coming face to face with Christ is going to be great and terrible for us who are Orthodox. it could very well be worse for those who meet a Christ that they aren't prepared for.

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
actually, what I said was:
ArmyMatt said:

And how does that square with the idea in the red bit that says they cannot be considered Christian? Surely you see the problem we have understanding how both of those things can be true at the same time.

• Agree
Reactions: eleos1954
Upvote 0