Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
"Since baptism is essential there must be an urgent concern to carry the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. That came as a commandment from Him.

"His true servants will be out to convert all who will hear to the principles of the gospel and they will offer them that one baptism which He proclaimed as essential. The preaching of the gospel is evident to one degree or another in most Christian churches. Most, however, are content to enjoy whatever they can gain from membership in their church without any real effort to see that others hear about it.

"The powerful missionary spirit and the vigorous missionary activity in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints becomes a very significant witness that the true gospel and that the authority are possessed here in the Church. We accept the responsibility to preach the gospel to every person on earth. And if the question is asked, 'You mean you are out to convert the entire world?' the answer is, 'Yes. We will try to reach every living soul.' "
The Redemption of the Dead

Well, they can try, but it won't happen.Jesus knows those who are His.

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
I am not LDS and have no intention of ever becoming LDS. However, at the risk of getting attacked, which happens every time that I post even a single favorable sentence to the LDS Church, there is no doubt that the practice of giving up two years of your life to do missionary work for the faith is something that is not done by most Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox. Hence, it is no wonder that the LDS Church is growing and growing at a faster rate than most faith communities.

Upvote 0

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
You can`t convert me so it`ll never happen

Your correct, He can not convert you, only God can, God's spirit enters into you changing you, this is how it happens.

But it can not happen unless you allow it, its a free choice God give's you as a free gift.

• Prayers
Reactions: Loyce KG
Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Since baptism is essential there must be an urgent concern to carry the message of the gospel of Jesus Christ to every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. That came as a commandment from Him.

"His true servants will be out to convert all who will hear to the principles of the gospel and they will offer them that one baptism which He proclaimed as essential. The preaching of the gospel is evident to one degree or another in most Christian churches. Most, however, are content to enjoy whatever they can gain from membership in their church without any real effort to see that others hear about it.

"The powerful missionary spirit and the vigorous missionary activity in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints becomes a very significant witness that the true gospel and that the authority are possessed here in the Church. We accept the responsibility to preach the gospel to every person on earth. And if the question is asked, 'You mean you are out to convert the entire world?' the answer is, 'Yes. We will try to reach every living soul.' "
The Redemption of the Dead

Well, they can try, but it won't happen.Jesus knows those who are His.
What is the LDS Gospel?
And who do they say HE is?

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
What is the LDS Gospel?
And who do they say HE is?
The LDS "gospel" is sometimes called the plan of salvation.

LDS Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual Enrichment G, p. 395.gif

Doctrine and Covenants Student Manual, c. 1981, Enrichment G, p. 395

There is a lot more. Look for threads about Mormonism (LDS) such as Valiant in the Testimony of Jesus.

3 We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the [LDS/Mormon] Gospel.

They must accept Joseph Smith and present day prophets.

Three Mormon gods are in their godhead:

President Joseph Fielding Smith said: “I believe firmly that Jesus Christ is the Only Begotten Son of God in the flesh. He taught this doctrine to his disciples. He did not teach them that he was the Son of the Holy Ghost, but the Son of the Father. Truly, all things are done by the power of the Holy Ghost. It was through this power that Jesus was brought into this world, but not as the Son of the Holy Ghost, but the Son of God. Jesus is greater than the Holy Spirit, which is subject unto him, but his Father is greater than he! He has said it. Christ was begotten of God. He was not born without the aid of Man, and that Man was God!”
(Doctrines of Salvation, 1:18).

If I'm able, I'll post more later including how men become gods, like their gods did.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
The only people who will have eternal life per Mormonism are:

“Those who are just and true!” What an apt expression for those valiant in the testimony of Jesus. They are courageous in defending truth and righteousness. These are members of the Church who magnify their callings in the Church (see D&C 84:33), pay their tithes and offerings, live morally clean lives, sustain their Church leaders by word and action, keep [Sunday] the Sabbath as a holy day, and obey all the commandments of God.

To these the Lord has promised that “all thrones and dominions, principalities and powers, shall be revealed and set forth upon all who have endured valiantly for the gospel of Jesus Christ.” (D&C 121:29.)
Valiant in the Testimony of Jesus

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I am not LDS and have no intention of ever becoming LDS. However, at the risk of getting attacked, which happens every time that I post even a single favorable sentence to the LDS Church, there is no doubt that the practice of giving up two years of your life to do missionary work for the faith is something that is not done by most Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox. Hence, it is no wonder that the LDS Church is growing and growing at a faster rate than most faith communities.

Giving two years to spread false doctrine because your family and church expect it isn't commendable. I am not attacking you, I'm only trying to explain this to you.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Requirements for Exaltation (Exaltation is eternal life and godhood):

The time to fulfill the requirements for exaltation is now (see Alma 34:32-34). President Joseph Fielding Smith said, "In order to obtain the exaltation we must accept the gospel and all its covenants; and take upon us the obligations which the Lord has offered; and walk in the light and understanding of the truth; and 'live by every word that proceedeth forth from the mouth of God' " (Doctrines of Salvation, 2:43).

To be exalted, we first must place our faith in Jesus Christ and then endure in that faith to the end of our lives. Our faith in him must be such that we repent of our sins and obey his commandments.

He commands us all to receive certain ordinances:

. We must be baptized and confirmed a member of the Church of Jesus Christ [of Latter-day Saints]

. We must receive the laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.

. We must receive the temple endowment.

. We must be married for time and eternity.

In addition to receiving the required ordinances, the Lord commands all of us to--

. Love and worship God.

. Love our neighbor.

. Repent of our wrongdoings.

. Live the law of chastity.

. Pay honest tithes and offerings.

. Be honest in our dealings with others and with the Lord.

. Speak the truth always.

. Obey the Word of Wisdom.

. Search out our kindred dead and perform the saving ordinances of the gospel for them.

. Keep the [Sunday]Sabbath day holy.

. Attend our Church meetings as regularly as possible so we can renew our baptismal covenants by partaking of the sacrament.

. Love our family members and strengthen them in the ways of the Lord.

. Have family and individual prayers every day.

. Honor our parents.

. Teach the [LDS]gospel to others by word and example.

. Study the scriptures.

. Listen to and obey the inspired words of the [LDS]prophets of the Lord.

Finally, each of us needs to receive the Holy Ghost and learn to follow his direction in our individual lives...

This is the way our Heavenly Father became God. Joseph Smith taught: "It is the first principle of the Gospel to know for a certainty the character of God. . . . He was once a man like us; . . . God himself, the Father of us all, dwelt on an earth, the same as Jesus Christ himself did"
(Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, pp. 345-46)
Gospel Principles, copyright 1978, 1979, 1981, Exaltation, Chapter 47, p. 291-293

Chapter 47: Exaltation

• Informative
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Upvote 0

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟305,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

frankieberg1985

Feb 17, 2019
Lena
✟10,953.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Your correct, He can not convert you, only God can, God's spirit enters into you changing you, this is how it happens.

But it can not happen unless you allow it, its a free choice God give's you as a free gift.

I would never allow it so

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green
Giving two years to spread false doctrine because your family and church expect it isn't commendable. I am not attacking you, I'm only trying to explain this to you.

Going overseas, being away from family and friends for two years, learning a foreign language well enough to be proficient in conversation, are no small feats. This represents a significant dedication to one's faith. If people that did this were Jews or Muslims or Hindus or Buddhists, they would still be showing a deep dedication to their faith and worthy of admiration and respect. One does not have to agree with another person to admire their dedication to their faith. We might ask the question, how many Evangelical Protestants, Mainline Protestants, Catholics and Orthodox would be willing to give up two years of their life to go overseas to perform missionary activity for their Church? Somehow, I do not think that we want to ask that question, for we would probably not like to hear the answer.

Again, I am not Mormon. I do not wish to become a Mormon. However, it is amazing that so many of their young people donate two years of their life to do missionary work.

• Agree
Reactions: Anthony2019
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat

LDS growth is almost exclusively through births, not conversions.

Upvote 0

Ironhold

Feb 14, 2014
✟201,967.00
Faith
Mormon
Marital Status
Single
That's cute. 'CARM' stands for Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry. Feel free to read the links. ;)

The Gospel According to Mormonism | CARM.org
Hinckley says that Mormons believe in a different Jesus. | CARM.org

You act like I've never dealt with them before.

I have.

Matt Slick has a bad reputation for a reason, and that reason frequently includes "not knowing what he's talking about."

Take, for example, the first link above. Slick is having a massive conniption fit over the fact that we actually hold people to a higher standard. We require people to actually live a life that reflects our beliefs, with the understanding that our mission is to improve ourselves as we go.

Is this unBiblical? No.

Consider, for example, James 2, which is commonly cited in the faith:

14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?

15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,

16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

Does this, or does this not, go right in with the statements on CARM about how we're supposed to help others and uplift them?

Don't want to include this book in your canon? Then you've got Jesus' own words in Mark's Gospel, chapter 5:

13 ¶ Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Again, anyone who is a believer needs to be living in a fashion that people can see what they believe through their deeds. As the saying goes, "Always preach the gospel; use words if necessary".

And the statement that we need to work to avoid engaging in the same sins again after repentance? Did Slick miss the part of John's Gospel (John ch. 8) and Jesus' commandment to the woman taken in adultery?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

See that?

"...and sin no more".

That's pretty explicit.

Why such a push?

Back to Matthew 5 -

48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Even the least interpretation of this verse is still an open admission that we are to be as much like Heavenly Father as possible. That is the end goal of any believer, even if folks don't start out that way.

All of the above verses are common in our teachings, such that any high school student is expected to know them by the time they've graduated. Had Slick been aware of this, he'd have had a fuller context for what we believe in. Instead, he presents a piece which essentially tries to argue for an extreme form of "Once Saved, Always Saved", the kind generally associated with Chick Tracts and the like.

So yeah. Slick's full of hot air.

Upvote 0