Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
nephilimiyr said:
I'm not going to go to church just for the sake of going to church.

Jeremiah 51:45, My people, go ye out of the midst of her, and deliver ye every man his soul from the fierce anger of the Lord.

"go ye out of the midst of her", I believe this is referring to the apostate church.

Well, of course it's talking about Babylon and could arguably be prophetically applied to the apostate church.......

Thank goodness I don't attend one of those ....... ;)

blessings
tal

Upvote 0

sitebuilder

May 10, 2005
✟263.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I've recently left a church I attended for 20 years. The decision was hard and took many months to reach. In reality, it was a pattern that was established for years where things just became glaringly obvious recently.

I don't believe every church, as in brick and mortar church, is a bad thing. However, because of this experience I have re-examined the traditional way chruch seems to be and I'm not sure it is what best represents our NT examples.

This is why I am currently looking into home chruch with a few other like-mind families. It seems to be the best representation that I can find thus far.

I've also concluded that preaching, in the traditional sense, is really meant for the unbeliever and not the believer. What we see in the pulpit seems to be an attempt combine teaching and preaching. But it seems the purpose for church is for the believer (instruction, fellowship and doctrine), and preaching is meant for the unbeliever (reaching the lost, spreading the gospel).

In the Home Church (HC) setting, teaching and doctrine can be discussed openly. It's a conversation, not a speech. It's fellow believers working together to both understand and know the Lord, in a spirit of fellowship and generosity towards each others in their homes.

Preaching in my limited and learning perspective, would be more akin to "missionaries". Those people we actually do send out. Evangilism is everyone's responsibility and something that should be part of both our daily lives with unbelievers and possibly also done in the course of being Christ in the community (feeding the poor, clothing the naked).

I don't have all this figured out. But it's a new perspective and a paradigm shift for me personally about the traditional church. But the Bible is the living word of God and I am enjoying the process that God has me going through.

Upvote 0

Extirpated Wildlife

Wanted: Room to Roam
Oct 3, 2002
Fort Worth
Visit site
✟17,091.00
Faith
Protestant
Question:

Was the "church" that is refer to in the Bible a body of believers that nestled inside the walls of a structure we would call a church with a pastor pounding on his block of wood to tell the others within those walls to repent?

I think there is need for tradition of teachings to be held as true within a group of christians gathering anywhere around the world. Believing anything doesn't equate to Christian. But there is no such thing as a church building in some places in the world. Some places people are Baptized in waterproof tarps layed on the ground where people pull the sides up to help submerse the individual in the water. And if someone is coming that may turn them in they get out and let the kids play in the water to make it look like something for the kids.

Most churches aren't working in America. Just look at the divorce rate among "Christians".

Upvote 0

deu58

Senior Veteran
Dec 12, 2003
Philippines
Visit site
✟11,169.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hi all

StevenL said:
I was in much more danger of not hearing Truth or of not being taught about holiness, righteousness, the judgment to come, self control....etc....when I was going to "churches" than I am now that I meet with believers and with Yeshua in my home and study and worship the Word of God (Yeshua.) I did as directed by the Letters and studied the outcome of the "faith" of those who "led" me and GOT AWAY FROM THEM. Thank the Lord for His anointing Who dwells within us and personally teaches us all things.

We are actually statring to do the same thing here, We are told in Hebrews not to forsake gathering together but some of us have just had enough of religious corruption an abuse,

So we get together and worship in the home,

yours in Christ
deu 58

Upvote 0

-FOC-

Jun 11, 2005
✟180.00
Faith
Christian
The pentecostal preacher who came across a pew at me, finger shaking in my face, telling me sternly that I was going straight to hell unless I spoke in tongues is the one you can blame for me not calling any building ''church'' again.

We are called to fellowship with out brethren.
A man is a liar and deceiver if he adds to that that it MUST be in a specific place with a specific group.

talitha said:
The following article speaks of an issue that is a biggggg problem in the Church, IMHO. I don't understand how a person can claim to be submitted to God, yet not submitted to the ones

Upvote 0

-FOC-

Jun 11, 2005
✟180.00
Faith
Christian
deu58 said:
Hi all

We are actually statring to do the same thing here, We are told in Hebrews not to forsake gathering together but some of us have just had enough of religious corruption an abuse,

So we get together and worship in the home,

yours in Christ
deu 58
amen.
And there are enough passages in the NT to show that churches were in homes then and therefore not against the teachings of Jesus or His apostles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Godzchild

Jul 23, 2005
✟2,253.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Here's a really great article for you to read so you can be educated as to what the church actually is....

It's called WHAT IS THE NON-INSTITUTIONAL CHURCH?

http://www.loveofchrist.info/church/noninstitutional.html

I've posted a particular paragraph that may be interesting for you.

The church is not represented as a physical building or temple but the people of God, employing images such as the body of Christ, the brotherhood, the household of God. The people themselves are the temple, the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit. Ephesians 2:19–22: Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow-citizens with the saints, and of the household of God; And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord: In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit. Hebrews 3:1: Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus. Colossians 2:19: And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.