Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Disclaimer: This is one of those mornings where I'm hyped on caffeine and my brain is going 3000 ideas/minute. I might just be looking too much into it and if so, just tell me to stop overthinking. Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just finally getting the revelation of it and I hope I make sense here, but:

So I was rereading Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High

And what jumped out at me this morning was Satan endeavored to be like the Most High. I checked all the lexicons and it appears to be exactly that.

'Like' can mean to be likened to, resemble, comparable to--and it can go further in some definitions to mean Image, Effigy, Idol.

Anyway, Satan wanted to be like God and we know he wants to be an idol of worship, and I started thinking, so did Satan want to be God in the form of an idol? His representation; his image? We read in Revelation that all those who have the mark were made to worship the image of the beast. Images and idols seem to be very important to Satan. 'Kay, but the more I thought about this, I realized does it go deeper than just that?

God made man in His image; Satan wanted to be like God; to be the image of God. We are made from the dust and bear God's physical likeness, but upon receiving the Holy Spirit, we bear his spiritual likeness. When Satan rebelled against God, was he trying to usurp God, himself, or was he trying to usurp the Holy Spirit? In a sense, you can say that God the Father and the Holy Spirit are one and the same, because God is Spirit and the Holy Spirit, is His Spirit. To usurp God the Father is to inevitably usurp the Holy Spirit.

In verse 13 Satan says he will sit on the mount of assembly or meeting. An assembly implies more than one divine being is there. So was his goal to sit among and be comparable to God, among the assembly? One of the three?

As far as I understand the unpardonable sin, those who Blaspheme the Son of God can be forgiven, but it's silent about blaspheming God the Father. My previous notion was that if an individual doesn't have a relationship with God the Father, they can't know His Holy Spirit, and thus they can't entirely blaspheme it. A relationship is needed between the individual and God, before the Holy Spirit can be blasphemed. (At least, as I understand it; someone DO correct me if I am wrong)

So Satan's Rebellion, seems to me, more than just him wanting to be God; it was the ultimate blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. He didn't want mankind to have the Spirit of God; he wanted mankind to have his spirit. He wanted to be comparable to God. Which is why there are Children of God and Children of the Devil. God of course refused that Satan's spirit would prevail.

So my very long, possibly hodge-podge incoherent post (forgive me) summarizes as this: I think even Satan knows you can't kill God. So was the war in Heaven against God the Father as a personal deity, or was this a war over what spirit would hold power over men and over the world? You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe--and tremble. Was Satan vying to be part of the God-head? Not the sole God, but one of the three? If so, then when he was finally cast down, it was because he (and his angels) had committed the unpardonable sin and solidified their fate.

Last edited:

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Disclaimer: This is one of those mornings where I'm hyped on caffeine and my brain is going 3000 ideas/minute. I might just be looking too much into it and if so, just tell me to stop overthinking. Maybe this is common knowledge and I'm just finally getting the revelation of it and I hope I make sense here, but:

So I was rereading Isaiah 14:14 I will ascend above the heights of the clouds, I will be like the Most High

And what jumped out at me this morning was Satan endeavored to be like the Most High. I checked all the lexicons and it appears to be exactly that.

'Like' can mean to be likened to, resemble, comparable to--and it can go further in some definitions to mean Image, Effigy, Idol.

Anyway, Satan wanted to be like God and we know he wants to be an idol of worship, and I was like, so did Satan want to be God in the form of an idol? Hid representation; his image? We read in Revelation that all those who have the mark were made to worship the image of the beast. Images and idols seem to be very important to Satan. 'Kay, but the more I thought about this, I realized does it go deeper than just that?

God made man in His image; Satan wanted to be like God; to be the image of God. We are made from the dust and bear God's physical likeness, but upon receiving the Holy Spirit, we bear his spiritual likeness. When Satan rebelled against God, was he trying to usurp God, himself, or was he trying to usurp the Holy Spirit? In a sense, you can say that God the Father and the Holy Spirit are one and the same, because God is Spirit and the Holy Spirit, is His Spirit. To usurp God the Father is to inevitably usurp the Holy Spirit.

In verse 13 Satan says he will sit on the mount of assembly or meeting. An assembly implies more than one divine being is there. So was his goal to sit among and be comparable to God, among the assembly? One of the three?

As far as I understand the unpardonable sin, those who Blaspheme the Son of God can be forgiven, but it's silent about blaspheming God the Father. My previous notion was that if an individual doesn't have a relationship with God the Father, they can't know His Holy Spirit, and thus they can't entirely blaspheme it. A relationship is needed between the individual and God, before the Holy Spirit can be blasphemed. (At least, as I understand it; someone DO correct me if I am wrong)

So Satan's Rebellion, seems to me, more than just him wanting to be God; it was the ultimate blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. He didn't want mankind to have the Spirit of God; he wanted mankind to have his spirit. He wanted to be comparable to God. Which is why there are Children of God and Children of the Devil. God of course refused that Satan's spirit would prevail.

So my very long, possibly hodge-podge incoherent post (forgive me) summarizes as this: I think even Satan knows you can't kill God. So was the war in Heaven against God the Father as a personal deity, or was this a war over what spirit would hold power over men and over the world? You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe--and tremble. Was Satan vying to be part of the God-head? Not the sole God, but one of the three? If so, then when he was finally cast down, it was because he (and his angels) had committed the unpardonable sin and solidified their fate.
First we should keep in mind that Revelation most often speaks in symbolic language. Second the fight was between Michael and the angels and Satan and his angels, these are all messengers. No war was directly with God as He created all things including these groups. This war was over the souls of the earth. If there is anything to garner from this symbolic war, it is a reminder that evil exists, but that God is ultimately victorious and through Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the war is now over. Blessings.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The sin of Eve was to be "a god," knowing good and evil.

We are made in the image of God. When we create a god made
in our image, we move toward paganism as the Israelites did
when they made the golden ox, which they worshiped.

Jesus also taught, "be perfect as your father is perfect."
Again, Jesus was not teaching us to become God, but
to be Holy, as God is Holy.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
The sin of Eve was to be "a god," knowing good and evil.
Genesis 3:5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Hebrew of be like God is kelohim which is to be like god; the word is slightly different with the [k] before [elohim]. Yes individuals can be their own gods and deny the true God, but that doesn't replace God the Father who is eternal. In this instance, Satan was mixing truth with error.
We are made in the image of God. When we create a god made
in our image, we move toward paganism as the Israelites did
when they made the golden ox, which they worshiped.
Agreed. But all idol worship is demon worship. As said before Satan has this thing with images and idols and instills it on the world that he might be worshiped.
Jesus also taught, "be perfect as your father is perfect."
Again, Jesus was not teaching us to become God, but
to be Holy, as God is Holy.
John 10:33 “We are not stoning You for any good work,” said the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because You, who are a man, declare Yourself to be God." [34] Jesus replied, “Is it not written in your Law: ‘I have said you are gods’a? [35] If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken—[36]then what about the One whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world? How then can you accuse Me of blasphemy for stating that I am the Son of God?

Ephesian 1:4-6 according as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Romans 8:9, 14-15 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. [14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Romans 8:29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

God intends to build a family through Jesus Christ by giving us His spirit which turns us into gods -- that doesn't make us have preeminence over the Father or Christ. So if Satan wanted to be like god, he would need the Spirit of God; which then begs the question do angels have the Holy Spirit?

1 Peter 1:11-12 searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.

If angels had the Holy Spirit, would they need to look into that which has been reported and preached?

So my question remains: was the usurption to become like God, an assertion of his own perverted spirit on mankind in competition to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Genesis 3:5 For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

Hebrew of be like God is kelohim which is to be like god; the word is slightly different with the [k] before [elohim]. Yes individuals can be their own gods and deny the true God, but that doesn't replace God the Father who is eternal. In this instance, Satan was mixing truth with error.

Agreed. But all idol worship is demon worship. As said before Satan has this thing with images and idols and instills it on the world that he might be worshiped.

John 10:33 “We are not stoning You for any good work,” said the Jews, “but for blasphemy, because You, who are a man, declare Yourself to be God." [34] Jesus replied, “Is it not written in your Law: ‘I have said you are gods’a? [35] If he called them gods to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken—[36]then what about the One whom the Father sanctified and sent into the world? How then can you accuse Me of blasphemy for stating that I am the Son of God?

Ephesian 1:4-6 according as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love: having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will, to the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved.

Romans 8:9, 14-15 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. [14] For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.

Romans 8:29 For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

God intends to build a family through Jesus Christ by giving us His spirit which turns us into gods -- that doesn't make us have preeminence over the Father or Christ. So if Satan wanted to be like god, he would need the Spirit of God; which then begs the question do angels have the Holy Spirit?

1 Peter 1:11-12 searching what, or what manner of time, the Spirit of Christ who was in them was indicating when He testified beforehand the sufferings of Christ and the glories that would follow. To them it was revealed that, not to themselves, but to us they were ministering the things which now have been reported to you through those who have preached the gospel to you by the Holy Spirit sent from heaven—things which angels desire to look into.

If angels had the Holy Spirit, would they need to look into that which has been reported and preached?

So my question remains: was the usurption to become like God, an assertion of his own perverted spirit on mankind in competition to the Holy Spirit.
To be "like" God meant to be as God is, creator and supreme of all that exist. To be worshiped because you will be "like" God.

It's why the very first of the Ten Commandments given by God, was the prohibition in having other gods besides Him. This
includes yourself.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Anyway, Satan wanted to be like God and we know he wants to be an idol of worship, and I started thinking, so did Satan want to be God in the form of an idol? His representation; his image? We read in Revelation that all those who have the mark were made to worship the image of the beast. Images and idols seem to be very important to Satan. 'Kay, but the more I thought about this, I realized does it go deeper than just that?

No created being can ever be equal to the Creator-or anywhere close to it. But we're made in His image and our created potential is to be increasingly like Him, made possible as we turn to Him in faith, uniting with Him in a union bound by love. A teaching I'm familiar with puts it this way:

398 In that sin man preferred himself to God and by that very act scorned him. He chose himself over and against God, against the requirements of his creaturely status and therefore against his own good. Constituted in a state of holiness, man was destined to be fully "divinized" by God in glory. Seduced by the devil, he wanted to "be like God", but "without God, before God, and not in accordance with God".279

The nearer we draw to God the more like Him we become. Adam chose the path away from God and we're here now to learn how devastating a path that is-by directly experiencing this life of alienation from Him.

Upvote 0

Benjamin Müller

May 19, 2018
Western New York
✟43,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
@fhansen - thank you for the response. But it didn't quite answer my question. I'll repost it since I did chatter away and perhaps it got lost in the shuffle of words:

I've been reading further, trying to study this and Jesus Christ is the image of the Father. So I've also been wondering if Satan wanted to be the Image or Representation of the Father; to have the role of Christ. Because even when Christ was tempted of the devil in the wilderness, Satan said that he would give him all the kingdoms of the world, if He bowed down to worship him. So even in that regard, he wasn't particularly set on killing Christ but being supreme to Christ.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
@fhansen - thank you for the response. But it didn't quite answer my question. I'll repost it since I did chatter away and perhaps it got lost in the shuffle of words:

I've been reading further, trying to study this and Jesus Christ is the image of the Father. So I've also been wondering if Satan wanted to be the Image or Representation of the Father; to have the role of Christ. Because even when Christ was tempted of the devil in the wilderness, Satan said that he would give him all the kingdoms of the world, if He bowed down to worship him. So even in that regard, he wasn't particularly set on killing Christ but being supreme to Christ.
I think satan simply wanted no God above himself, and that's the essence of pride, to exalt oneself above God..

Upvote 0