To all athiests out there: bring it on

To any athiests or agnostics,
I challenge anyone who thinks that science disproves the bible. Because it doesn't, and I'm willing to back up that statement. Reply to this message if anyone thinks there is evidence for The Big Bang, evolution, or anything else that is anti-bible and anti-science and I will personally make sure that you never use that against a new christian who doesn't absolutely know every little trick that you use on the likes of them. And to any christian that has a question about bible-science, feel free to ask me. I'll do my best to answer your question. And (to you athiests again) don't waste my time with rediculous questions like: what if nothing exists, what if this life is all one big dream and other things. I hope that I can clear up any misunderstandings about how science and the bible conradict each other. Later

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Well, let's see. How literally do you feel I should take the Bible? Always literal? Sometimes literal?

I mean, obviously, God could have poofed everything into existance five minutes ago, creating us with memories and everything. However, it seems to me that I should assume that the evidence I find in the world around me is true evidence.

Upvote 0

David Gould

Pearl Harbor sucked. WinAce didn't.
May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Evidence for the Big Bang:

cosmic background radiation, the fact that the universe is expanding, the laws of thermodynamics, the fact that one of the three solution sets to Einstein's relativity equations has the universe expanding, the speed of light as a limiting information carrier and the fact that Big Bang cosmology predicts the ratios of hydrogen and helium in the observable universe.

Upvote 0
To Chuck Darwin,
I don't really know exactly how old the universe is, but we can make a rough estimate of about 6000 years old. Why, because we know (according to Caeser Augustus's census) that Jesus lived about 2000 years ago. Using that information and the information provided by the greatest history book in the world, the bible, we can use the recorded age and recoreded deaths of Jesus's ancestors to add up the years from Jesus all the way to Adam. From there to the creation was only six days. If your confused I will give this example:
Adam was 130 yrs old when he begat Seth
Seth was 105 yrs old when he begat Enosh
Enosh was 90 yrs old when he begat Kenan
and so on and so forth...
all the way to Jesus!
so all we have to do is add up all those years plus the 2000 years since Jesus lived and voila!!! The age of the earth.

I hope that answered your question, and I'd be happy to have more.

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
By the way, are Christians who believe that evolution and the big bang are likely explanations for present observable facts allowed to post in this thread also? They are evidence that the Bible does not contradict science, but I don't think they are quite what you had in mind ....

Upvote 0

Aceldama

You may enter up to 25 ch
Dec 17, 2002
Visit site
✟7,799.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
Originally posted by tacoman528
To Chuck Darwin,
I don't really know exactly how old the universe is, but we can make a rough estimate of about 6000 years old. Why, because we know (according to Caeser Augustus's census) that Jesus lived about 2000 years ago. Using that information and the information provided by the greatest history book in the world, the bible, we can use the recorded age and recoreded deaths of Jesus's ancestors to add up the years from Jesus all the way to Adam. From there to the creation was only six days. If your confused I will give this example:
all the way to Jesus!
so all we have to do is add up all those years plus the 2000 years since Jesus lived and voila!!! The age of the earth.

Yeah thats cool but...isnt this about science? :scratch:

Do you have scientific evidence for your belief in the age of the Earth?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

But I read another creation story which says that the beginning of days was at least a thousand generations ago. As such, not being able to tell one creation story from another without help, it seems to me I should rely, instead, on physical evidence. Could you offer some physical evidence for the age of the earth?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MSBS

Jul 29, 2002
California
✟10,591.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
To Chuck Darwin,
all the way to Jesus!

Well, in my opinion science doesn't disprove the bible. It does, however, disprove this silly notion that the earth is only 6000 (or 5000 or 10000 or whatever, depending on which creationist you talk to).

Upvote 0
To seebs,
That is my definition of a rediculous question. but I'll answer it anyway. in my experience, God doesn't lie. It even says in the Bible that he cannot lie. If he says he created the earth in six days, there was a flood that overran the earth, and Jesus walked in Palestine 2000 years ago, I'll believe it. And if you don't believe in god or the bible, that how did the universe suddenly appear 5 minutes ago without anything to put it there.

Please don't ask me questions that relate to things like this and what I previously stated in my first message because I will ignore them.

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Can we concentrate on the science? I posted some of the evidences for the Big Bang. Now I want to hear what is wrong with them and what they really point to and how it is possible that all those millions of scientists (most of them Christians) who accept the Big Bang theory have made such a mistake. 

Upvote 0
Some lived to be over 900 yrs. old....The bible also says that later God shortened peoples life span to 120 yrs.

You can't trust the bible which is claimed to be inspired words from God, but why do you trust what other men say? The same men you trust in for evolution, science, etc.. are the same men that are capable of lying, cheating, stealing, and killing!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by Warrior FC
Some lived to be over 900 yrs. old....The bible also says that later God shortened peoples life span to 120 yrs.

You can't trust the bible which is claimed to be inspired words from God, So why do you trust what other men say? The same men you trust in for evolution, science, etc.. are the same men that are capable of lying, cheating, stealing, and killing!

The same people who claim the Bible to be the inspired words from God are also all capable of lying, cheating, stealing, and killing!! (note the two exclamation marks - points to me, I feel).

Anyhow, this is not a debate over the Bible - it is a debate over whether the Bible contradicts science. Many Christians who do not believe in YEC say no.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by David Gould
The same people who claim the Bible to be the inspired words from God are also all capable of lying, cheating, stealing, and killing!! (note the two exclamation marks - points to me, I feel).

Anyhow, this is not a debate over the Bible - it is a debate over whether the Bible contradicts science. Many Christians who do not believe in YEC say no.

The difference is, the people believing in the bible are trusting God, not other men.

And science and the bible do oppose each other in may ways!

Upvote 0

David Gould

May 28, 2002
Canberra, Australia
Visit site
✟29,118.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
AU-Labor
Originally posted by Warrior FC
The difference is, the people believing in the bible are trusting God, not other men.

And science and the bible do oppose each other in may ways!

No, they are trusting the men who are telling them to trust the bible. God never told you to trust the Bible, for example - you were told to trust it by other people, people cabable of lying, murder, theft and so on.

Name one way in which science and the bible oppose each other.

If it is in many ways, why do you use the things that science offers? Isn't doing so supporting a thing (science) that is anti-biblical?

Upvote 0