W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What are your thoughts on this scripture?

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. 10 Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Titus 3:9 But avoid foolish disputes, genealogies, contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and useless. 10 Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinning, being self-condemned.
It's good to remember Hebrews 7.12 and 7.19; the law was changed and what the New Testament believer under grace now has is better than the law.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's good to remember Hebrews 7.12 and 7.19; the law was changed and what the New Testament believer under grace now has is better than the law.
Thank you.

Hebrews 7:16 who has come, not according to the law of a fleshly commandment, but according to the power of an endless life.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

That's why I avoid an on-going debate about the Bible vs Evolution. Evolution is a spiritual delusion put upon those who stoutly refuse to accept the gospel of Christ to the point where they will never believe it as long as they live. So the delusion is put on them to block any further understanding of the gospel. The relevant scripture is: "The god of this world has blinded the minds of those who believe not lest they should see the light of the glorious gospel of Christ."

Concerning the Law, there are those who are so steeped in Christians having to obey a set of laws, either Mosaic or their own version of it, to keep their salvation. This is a delusion, and if those people believe it so strongly, it might be a waste of time trying to reason with them. This could be because it is a spiritual "strong delusion" (mentioned elsewhere in the scripture for those who are stoutly unbelieving), and therefore any intellectual debate would be useless and ineffective. Maybe "some demons don't come out except by prayer and fasting" might be more applicable here.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's why I avoid an on-going debate about the Bible vs Evolution. Evolution is a spiritual delusion put upon those who stoutly refuse to accept the gospel of Christ to the point where they will never believe it as long as they live. So the delusion is put on them to block any further understanding of the gospel. The relevant scripture is: "The god of this world has blinded the minds of those who believe not lest they should see the light of the glorious gospel of Christ."

Concerning the Law, there are those who are so steeped in Christians having to obey a set of laws, either Mosaic or their own version of it, to keep their salvation. This is a delusion, and if those people believe it so strongly, it might be a waste of time trying to reason with them. This could be because it is a spiritual "strong delusion" (mentioned elsewhere in the scripture for those who are stoutly unbelieving), and therefore any intellectual debate would be useless and ineffective. Maybe "some demons don't come out except by prayer and fasting" might be more applicable here.
Thanks for your thoughts Oscarr. I avoid evolution debates as well.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I hoped to get more replies.
I think that Paul is instructing Titus to keep his focus on making disciples for Christ and not to get into arguments about the Jewish law with those who just want to debate the issues, as did the Greek Philosophers who loved a good debate and discussion which mainly led to nothing substantive.

Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that Paul is instructing Titus to keep his focus on making disciples for Christ and not to get into arguments about the Jewish law with those who just want to debate the issues, as did the Greek Philosophers who loved a good debate and discussion which mainly led to nothing substantive.
I agree. Thanks Oscarr.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What changed was the priesthood, in which Jesus became our high priest and his blood covers our sins now instead of the blood of animals under the Old Covenant.

We have grace because we break the law, so the commands of God didnt go anywhere. Some are no longer needed like the animals sacrificial system and the stuff that requires a temple or just doesnt apply to you (ex: kings, priest, farmer, woman only type thing), but Gods commands still stand.

Most of the debates on here seem to be on 5 topics

The Sabbath vs Sunday
The Feast Days vs Man Made Holidays
The Dietary Laws vs Eating Unclean Foods
The Law of God still stands vs Law was abolished
That was for the Jews/Israel vs For the Church/Christians

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What changed was the priesthood, in which Jesus became our high priest and his blood covers our sins now instead of the blood of animals under the Old Covenant.

We have grace because we break the law, so the commands of God didnt go anywhere. Some are no longer needed like the animals sacrificial system and the stuff that requires a temple or just doesnt apply to you (ex: kings, priest, farmer, woman only type thing), but Gods commands still stand.

Most of the debates on here seem to be on 5 topics

The Sabbath vs Sunday
The Feast Days vs Man Made Holidays
The Dietary Laws vs Eating Unclean Foods
The Law of God still stands vs Law was abolished
That was for the Jews/Israel vs For the Church/Christians
Thanks for participating in this discussion. What are your thoughts on the Titus 3:9 ?

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for participating in this discussion. What are your thoughts on the Titus 3:9 ?
My answer is my thoughts, if you are debating to come to the truth of the scripture, fine, but if its over stupid stuff like how to pronounce the name in Hebrew, which version of the name is correct, arguing over a Full Moon or Sliver of a moon, Mary's linage, and more, thats where I see that verse makes sense.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
But it also says in Hebrews 7.12 that the law, as well as the priesthood, changed.

As a dispensationalist I can well see how some of Hebrews causes proponents of the idea of an Israel-church monolith a lot of heart-searching.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My answer is my thoughts, if you are debating to come to the truth of the scripture, fine, but if its over stupid stuff like how to pronounce the name in Hebrew, which version of the name is correct, arguing over a Full Moon or Sliver of a moon, Mary's linage, and more, thats where I see that verse makes sense.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Since this is the law forum I will address that portion of the verse. Jesus fulfilled the law at Calvary yet some want to put Christians back under the laws that could only bring death. I, for one, will not sit back and allow law promoters to have an open forum to spread falsehood. The truth is that Jesus ended the law Gal 3:19 and the 10 commandment part of the law was transitory and was replaced by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. 2Cor3:7-11. The plan of salvation is so simple and some try to make it so hard. It is my privilege and duty to help others to see the Light.

Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since this is the law forum I will address that portion of the verse. Jesus fulfilled the law at Calvary yet some want to put Christians back under the laws that could only bring death. I, for one, will not sit back and allow law promoters to have an open forum to spread falsehood. The truth is that Jesus ended the law Gal 3:19 and the 10 commandment part of the law was transitory and was replaced by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. 2Cor3:7-11. The plan of salvation is so simple and some try to make it so hard. It is my privilege and duty to help others to see the Light.
The law "was" glorious, which is past tense, meaning its gone.

2 Corinthians 3:11 For if what is passing away was glorious, what remains is much more glorious.

Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

well if Paul's "New Gospel" was a Gospel of the form "The LAW is dead let's go argue that point all across the world" -- then HE would be PROMOTING the dispute about the LAW as the one discussion "to always be sure to have".

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
well if Paul's "New Gospel" was a Gospel of the form "The LAW is dead let's go argue that point all across the world" -- then HE would be PROMOTING the dispute about the LAW as the one discussion "to always be sure to have".
Thanks Bob. Im not sure i understand though.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Since this is the law forum I will address that portion of the verse. Jesus fulfilled the law at Calvary yet some want to put Christians back under the laws that could only bring death. .

Jesus fulfilled the predictive law about the coming Messiah "Christ our PASSOVER has been slain" 1 Corinthians 5.

But though he perfectly fulfilled and obeyed the law "Do not take God's name in vain" -- He did not "delete it" or "abolish it" rather we all continue to be required do comply with it.

Obviously.

Moral law is not deleted - as soon as someone obeys it.

Upvote 0