bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Meet Daily Necessities

Titus 3:12-15
As soon as I send Artemas or Tychicus to you, do your best to come to me at Nicopolis, because I have decided to winter there. Do everything you can to help Zenas the lawyer and Apollos on their way and see that they have everything they need. Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives. Everyone with me sends you greetings. Greet those who love us in the faith. Grace be with you all.

Although this is the only time Atemas is mentioned in his letters, Tychicus had been mentioned as accompanying him on his missionary journey in Acts 20:4. It was also apparent that he was the one who delivered the letter to the Ephesians to Ephesus. (Eph 6:21) He was sent again to Ephesus near the end of Paul's life in 2Tim 4:12. He was a faithful and persevering Christian who Paul often used as a messenger. Paul also endorsed the ministry of Zenas, the lawyer. And yes, in Greek he doesn't simply say "a lawyer", but "the lawyer", there being something prominent about his profession. Likely along with Apollos he was a powerful apologist, as lawyers often are who come to Christ. Apollos was a very powerful preacher and the pastor of the Corinthian church. I would infer that Zenas and Apollos teamed up to do evangelism among skeptic Greeks.

As for verse 14, this is a common theme in Titus - namely the purpose of the Christian life is to do good. Now in particular here the emphasis of doing good is with regards to meeting practical needs. This is not simply about making people feel good. It's about meeting practical necessities. The problem with Christians in affluent societies where practical needs are largely already met, is that there is often confusion between desires and needs. Consequently Christians in affluent societies should consider perhaps focusing their generosity towards Christians in the Third World.

"Greet those who love us" is really "greet those who like us". "Phileo" is used rather than "agape". This may sound kind of strange. Greet only those who like us or prefer us. But if they don't like us, then don't greet them. He is referring to the heretics in this, to which he is applying the separation idea of verse 10.

The Berean Christian Bible Study Resources