Titus 2:6-8 Instructions for Younger Men

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Instructions for Younger Men

Titus 2:6-8 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.

Christian Leadership should set the example. Jesus himself said, "I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you." John 13:15 and Paul, "Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ." 1Cor 11:1 Setting an example is a powerful teaching method. What have you been teaching others by your example?

Self-control is first on the list, particularly with regards to young men. And young men look to older men as an example. What do they learn of self-control from, for example, the waistline of those in Christian leadership? What do they learn of control sexual passions by the example of leadership? What do they learn of the disciple of hard-work and diligent study?

Leadership should also set the example in doing good. But with leadership comes the temptation to become conceited. Thus notice in John 13:15 mentioned above Jesus attempted to train his disciples in the humility of service by example, though time and again they tried to inflate themselves above others. (Lk 9:46; Acts 6:2)

Teaching the Word is a serious matter. "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him. Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar." Pr 30:5,6 It should be taught clearly and with integrity, not mishandling the scriptures or using them as a springboard to say whatever one wants to say. Teach as if your every word was to be scrutinized in a courtroom, being brought to trial by your enemies who desperately seek to find something to accuse you of.

• Useful
Reactions: Brother-Mike