mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm new at mutual funds or whatever else might be possible, wanting to switch away from my current managed fund and possibly also the company that manages it. Are there ways to make sure certain companies aren't supported or would I have to opt out of a whole industry, and can I do that either? Funds that avoid or minimize big conglomerates? Something that allows flexibility as I get more informed?

• Useful
Reactions: public hermit

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,233,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I'm new at mutual funds or whatever else might be possible, wanting to switch away from my current managed fund and possibly also the company that manages it. Are there ways to make sure certain companies aren't supported or would I have to opt out of a whole industry, and can I do that either? Funds that avoid or minimize big conglomerates? Something that allows flexibility as I get more informed?
Check out avemariafunds.com for information on an ethical investment firm. There may be others like them too.

• Informative
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
While an INCOMPLETE project at the moment, I hope this helps:

Biblical Financial Advice (INCOMPLETE)

Introduction
“Either the Bible’s financial advice is from God, or the greatest financial genius in history was a Jew.”
~Personal Opinion

The Holy Bible, particularly the Old Testament,contains advice about money management. The Jewish diaspora took these to heart,developing a reputation for being good with money. This stereotype fuels anti-Semitism,becauseGentiles can feel intimidated by Jewish financial success. Jews are disproportionately the wealthiest religious group in the Western world, proving Biblical financial advice should be common sense.[1]

Warning About Finances
“For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil, for which some have strayed from the faith in their greediness, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.”
~1 Timothy 6:10, NKJV

The love of money is a root of evil, opening doorsto temptation.[10]Examples of greed and pride going before the destruction include Theranos,[15] Enron,[16] and Fyre Festival.[17] The decision must be made to serve either God or Mammon,because one cannot serve both. Exploiting others for personal gain is sin, and no one can buy their way into Heaven. Atheists and agnostics tend to be wealthier on average, because they put their trust in Mammon, not God.[1]

(Acts 8:18-23, Eccles. 5:8-20, 1 Tim. 6:2-10, James 5:1-6, Luke 16:19-31, Matt. 6:24, 19:16-30, Prov. 16:18, 16:25)

Dangers of Serving Mammon
“God is love. Mammon does not love, it only demands.”
~The Holy Spirit

“If I could have just a little more, I will be happy…” Even the richest man alive still says this.The quote, “People buy things they don’t need, with money they don’t have, to impress people they don’t like,” is the entire basis of ‘Keeping up with Joneses.’ The quest for social status, fueled by pride, greed, and selfish ambition, has put countless into debt. Even seemingly pure intentions, like pursuit of happiness and charity, can also suffer the same. The Millennial Generation is deep in student loan debt. Entire nations, such as Canada and the United States, are in deep debt on national levels. A deeply indebted country resorted to glorified bank robbery to pay debts. Eventually, we will all pay, both literally and figuratively.

Retail therapy is the most expensive form of therapy. The United States is suffering a profound epidemic of white collar crime. Human trafficking is ruining entire generations. Mass media relying on fear and sex are leading to distrust between people. Social media is ruining the mental health of an entire generation of youths, and the rest of the world.

According to John Glubb’s essay, The Fate of Empires, common signs of a country in decline are an over-bloated welfare system, pursuit of wealth and pleasure, and decline in religion, character, and morality. Decline begins when pursuit of personal wealth overtakes pursuit of wealth for the entire country. Nothing new under the sun.

What good is it if one gains the whole world, yet loses his soul?

Basics
“The answer is not to make more money, but to be wise in managing it.”
~The Holy Spirit

First off, recognize God as the source of everything in life (2 Cor. 9:8, Prov. 8:20-21, Ps. 9:1, 95:2-3). Always be thankful, content, and positive, even in hard times and/or situations (Phil. 4:6-7, Prov. 28:25, 1 Thess. 4:11-12). Gratitude promotes mental health and happiness (1 Chron. 16:34, Col. 3:16-17, Eph. 5:20, Ex. 20:17).[3]Make Biblical ethics, the Greatest Commandment, your treasure in life (Prov. 1:1-17, 16:16, 1 Tim. 6:3-10). Humility is key, because accident of birth is an unfortunate reality. Therefore,trust and serve God, NEVER Mammon(Luke 16:13-15, Matt. 6:19-24)!The latter will eventually abandon you (Heb. 13:5-6, Luke 12:15, 16:1-15, Matt. 6:19-24, Prov. 16:18)

No perfect economic system exists. The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard(Matt. 20:1-16,) can be seen as criticism of both communism and capitalism. For communism, it shows equal pay for unequal work, as enforced by ‘the state’ (the vineyard owner). For capitalism, it shows working hard for long hours not always guaranteeing results, because the business owner (of the vineyard) can still choose to reward less deserving employees. In both examples, the workers gave realistic reactions to the vineyard owner’s decision.

Furthermore, Communism only works if everyone is willing to contribute based on need (Acts 4:32-37, 2 Thess. 3:6-15). This is manageable on smaller scales, but never on larger ones,such as theformer USSR. Capitalism is based mostly on want, even at morality’s expense (Luke 16:1-15, Prov. 28:25, 1 Tim. 6:3-10, 2 Tim. 3:1-17). Not everyone will agree with national policy, especiallywhen it involves pursuit of wealth, power, and prestige (John 11:45-48, Matt. 23:1-12, Luke 16:13-15). Again, serve God, NEVER Mammon (Luke 16:13-15, Matt. 6:19-24)!

Humble yourself. North American culture may frown upon adults living with their parents, but other cultures call it ‘having a strong family unit.’ Baking and sewing are useful money-saving skills, not threats to masculinity. No one is above charity, just unwilling to accept help (Gal. 6:3, Prov. 13:10, 16:25, 22:29, 26:12). Swallow your pride, or be destroyed(James 4:6, Luke 18:9-14, Prov. 3:34, 6:16-19, 8:13, 11:2, 14:3, 15:25, 16:5, 16:18-19, 18:12, 21:4, 21:24, 25:27, 27:2, 29:23). Especially in impoverished areas, do not show any signs of wealth. This only attracts the wrong kind of attention (Ezek. 7:20-21, Prov. 12:9, 16:18, 1 Thess. 4:11-12).

Always plan ahead. Do the research, count the costs, and think long game (Luke 14:28-33, Prov. 21:5-7). Prioritize needs overwants (Prov. 21:17, 24:27). Create a monthly budget and run on surplus (Gen. 41:28-38). Keep record of spending habits, inventory,as well asmake anynecessary changes (Num. 7:1-89, Prov. 21:5). When planning risky investments and major financial decisions, trust credible experts only (Prov. 13:20, 15:22, Ps 1:1)!

Build positive relationships. Honesty, integrity, and common courtesy are required with clients (Acts 20:33-35, Eph. 4:29-32, Luke 16:1-15, Phil. 2:3). They build trust and credibility over time (Luke 16:9-13, Prov. 12:17-19). Otherwise, it only creates short term gain, at the risk of losing credibility, relationships, careers, freedom, and even life (James 5:1-6). Think long term (Prov. 21:5-7).

Give, from family to organizations within reason (Acts 20:33-35). Do not expect anything in return nor under compulsion, but out of genuine willingness (2 Cor. 9:6-9). While taxes are a legal requirement (Deut. 14:23, Rom. 13:1-7), giving is personal and builds stronger communities (2 Cor. 9:10-11, Luke 16:9-13). It is also a form of gratitude towards God, extending His blessings onto others (2 Cor. 9:10-15). Giving can promote happiness, health, gratitude, social connections, and inspire others to give as well.[4][5] Beware of exploitation, though (James 5:1-6, Matt. 7:15-23, 2 Pet. 2:1-3, 1 Tim. 6:1-10, 2 Tim. 3:1-9). If every encounter with ‘friends’ involve requests for money and gifts, walk away. Be generous, but never enable.Relationships should be two-sided, never parasitic (Prov. 30:20, 2 Thess. 3:6-15).

More proverbs on generosity to be found!

Saving

Never co-sign.[18] No oneis responsible for anyone's debts but their own.
(Prov. 6:1-5, 11:15, 17:18, 20:16, 22:26-27, 27:13)

Keep an emergency fund.[19] Keep at least 3 to 6 months worth of income saved for unforeseen events. These include injury, illness, loss of job, property damage, and emergency purchases. The ‘Just World Hypothesis’ has no basis in reality.[20] Just ask Job, the rich man, and Lazarus.
(Gen. 41:34-36, Job, Luke 16:19-31)

Save, save, save!Save as much money as possible for future plans. The belief that money is meant to be spent is unsustainable in the long run. Saving will lead to more comfortable and/or earlier retirements. At retirement age, reduce risk and avoid bad investments. Those funds need to last. Leftover money is greatly beneficial for descendants, giving them a greater chance at life. Think long game and selflessly.
(Eccles. 4:8, 5:13-14, Prov. 13:22, 21:20, 22:3)

Reduce, reuse, and recycle. Saves money, time, and resources. Buy generic brand name products in bulk and use economically. Improvise leftover waste for use such as rice bag luggage, KFC container Tupperware, andopened envelope notepads. Thrift stores are excellent sources of practical trinkets, cheap!
(Prov. 21:20)

Find inexpensive hobbies. Card games, board games, and the like. The best kinds are the ones with many different games using the same product. For example, a standard deck of cards has many games. If video games are desired, find one with high replay value and easy-to-use modding features.
()

Pay your debts and try to keep out of them. Live within your means. Avoid credit card and/or bank loan debt by saving money in advance for large purchases. Patience is a major money saving Fruit of the Spirit. Over time, debt interest will only prove costlier in the long run. Hollywood paints frightening consequences.
(Deut. 15:6, Eccles. 5:5, Prov. 22:7, 22:26-27, Ps. 37:21)

The Debt Snowball[12]

STEP 1: Gather all debt, except for your mortgage.
STEP 2: Make a list and order your debts from the smallest to largest.
STEP 3: Continue making minimum payments on all debts but the smallest.
STEP 4: Find extra money anywhere you can, such as picking up side jobs, having a garage sale, or giving up luxuries.
STEP 5: Get gazelle intense. Put all that extra cash towards the smallest debt. Pay off that first debt as quickly as possible! Knock it out!
STEP 6: When the smallest debt is gone, roll that payment over to the next.
STEP 7: Repeat until you are debt free!

The Debt Avalanche[19]

Dah
Dah
dah

Making
Avoid get-rich-quick schemes. They often involve risky and/or amoral practices to achieve goals. Think long game, work hard, be patient, and avoid unnecessary risks. Gambling is a terrible way of making money, and can be addictive. As a former co-worker said about spending welfare money on lottery tickets, “Spending guaranteed income from the government on income that is not guaranteed.” Avoid these at all costs if found on the internet. As said in a newspaper comic, “On the internet, no one knows you’re a dog!”
(Heb. 13:5-6, Matt. 6:24, Prov. 13:11, 16:33, 22:16, 28:19-22, 1 Tim. 6:10)

Invest in education. The saying, “A fool and his money are soon parted,” are one of many reasons to invest in education. Gain knowledge, skills, and character development. There is a strong correlation between education and income, and some religions put heavy emphasis on the former.[1]
(Proverbs 16:16, 23:23, 24:3-4)

Work hard. Strong work ethic is a key asset in anything. Practice daily by doing small chores, as if using Mr. Miyagi’s ‘wax on, wax off,’ approach. However, always take at least one day off and get plenty of sleep.
(Col. 3:23, Ex. 23:12, Prov. 12:24, 13:4, 14:23, 28:19, Ps. 127:2)

Diversify investments. The saying, “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket” applies. Should one investment go south, other investments proving more stable, even successful, will balance it out. Keeping back-ups of certain items, and copies of documents, digital and physical, are also wise investments.
(Eccles. 4:9-12, 11:1-6)

Gold will eventually lose its value. While there is profit to be made in precious metal investment, you cannot eat it (Ezek. 7:19-22). More practical commodities exist during crisis (Rev. 6:5-6).[21][22]

Wealth inequality is not a good sign. According to John Glubb, wide gaps between rich and poor is a sign of a declining nation (Prov. 22:16).[x]While it is an inevitable part of life (Mark 14:7, Matt. 26:11), Historical events, such as the French and Russian Revolutions, often cite this as their motive for violent uprisings.[x][x][x]

Work

Respect and obey your boss, even if he's cruel. It's a tough pill to swallow but being a good worker in spite of unsavoury management only proves how much more worthy of promotion you are than the abusive boss, both Biblically and worldly. People root for the co-worker they want to work under. However, If your boss is violating federal law then you have full permission to refuse orders. Be sure to pay your income tax and serve as if you are serving God himself.
(Col. 3:22-25, Luke 19:11-27, Matt. 25:14-30, 1 Pet. 2:18-25, Rom. 13:1-7)

Use honesty, integrity, and discernment in your dealings. The sad reality is, some will take advantage of your generosity and work ethic. This is where you need to apply your moral values while still using research, connections, and street smarts to navigate yourself in the sea of agenda-driven individuals. Honesty and integrity are the best policies because even criminal organizations rely on those they can trust to manage their resources.
(Luke 16:1-15, Matt. 10:16)

Have a strong work ethic. It is key in all areas of life. Laziness is a very dangerous vice as the property falls into disrepair and the needs of the entire community are not met. Employment contributes to wellbeing as non-monetary rewards include social status, social relations, daily structure, and goals providing personal happiness.[6] Meaningful work is more important than a high salary.[7]
Employment (Gen. 2:15, Prov. 13:23, 1 Thess. 4:11, 2 Thess. 3:10-12)
Hard work (Col. 3:23, Prov. 12:11, 12:24, 13:4, 14:23, 28:19)
Laziness (Prov. 18:9, 19:15, 20:4, 21:25, 24:30-34, 2 Thess. 3:6-15, 1 Tim. 5:8)

Be sure to get enough rest. You will need at least one day of the week off for leisure, relaxation, and avoiding burnout. The average person needs 7 to 9 hours of sleep each night[8] because sleep deprivation is strongly linked to negative emotions such as worry, anxiety, and depression.[9]
(Gen. 2:1-3, Ex. 20:8-10, 23:12, 34:21, 35:1-3, Mark 2:27, Matt. 11:28, Prov. 3:24, Ps. 4:8, 127:2)

Bear in mind the reality of hard work not always paying off. Despite all your hard work, the boss can still give that promotion to another, less deserving co-worker. The boss is the legal owner of the business and is entitled to manage it however he wants while remaining within federal law. The Kingdom of Heaven works the same way so use this worldly experience as preparation for it. Another thing to keep in mind, some employers will favour results rather than honour.
(Luke 16:1-15, Matt. 20:1-16)

Contribute something to the household. This involves all family members and/or friends living in the household. Adult children living with parents should either pay rent or pay room and board by working around the house. Living with one's parents as an adult is not shameful but living off of them is.
(2 Thess. 3:6-15, 1 Tim. 5:3-8)

Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
PART II:

Charity

Basics
When engaging in charity, have the right motives. Doing it for personal gain will only make you lose your credibility after the cat gets out of the bag. Doing it to glorify God and His teachings will inspire others to accept Christ and become better people. Even with the potential benefits it brings to your resume, do it because you want to, not because you have to. It is far more rewarding that way.
(2 Cor. 9:1-15, Luke 16:9, Matt. 5:13-16, 6:1-4)

Help everyone, even those you hate. Which is more admirable, to continue the cycle of evil which is the easy thing to do, or provide a helping hand to even one's own enemies which is the hard thing to do? Be the change you wish to see in the world. Society is as good as the people participating in it.
(Matt. 5:13-16, 5:43-48)

Use honesty, integrity, and discernment in your dealings. The sad reality is, some will take advantage of your generosity and work ethic. This is where you need to apply your moral values while still using research, connections, and street smarts to navigate yourself in the sea of agenda-driven individuals. Honesty and integrity are the best policies because even criminal organizations rely on those they can trust to manage their resources.
(Luke 16:1-15, Matt. 10:16)

Be generous but do not enable. Charity does have its limits because as previously stated, some will take advantage of your generosity and work ethic. Charity towards the wrong people will only siphon funds away from those who truly need it. Often times, in order to solve an issue you will need to pull out the root instead of applying a temporary band-aid.
(2 Cor. 9:1-15, 2 Thess. 3:6-15, 1 Tim. 5:3-8)

Worthy Charities According to the Lord Jesus Christ
(Matt. 25:31-46)​

Providing Basic Needs - "...for I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink... I needed clothes and you clothed me..."
· Volunteering and/or donating to thrift stores, soup kitchens, food banks, disaster reliefs, and just about any cash-strapped organizations serving the community.
· Click-to-donate sites (GreaterGood.com, Goodeed.com, FreeRice.com, etc).
· Buying a sandwich and coffee for the homeless, drug addicted, and/or impoverished.
Serving The Vulnerable - "I was a stranger and you invited me in... I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me..."
· Volunteering and/or donating to homeless shelters, retirement homes, charity-driven churches, and just about any cash-strapped organizations serving the community.
· Click-to-donate sites (GreaterGood.com, Goodeed.com, FreeRice.com, etc).
· Helping immigrants and social misfits integrate into the community.
· Rehabilitating criminals, drug addicts, the homeless, and anyone else with problems, both great and small.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you invest in an S&P500 index ETF like VOO or SPY you might have a piece of 500 companies in each share of the ETF.

If you buy one stock and it is a firearms stock, you might be tempted to be against gun control laws and in favor of selling guns to criminals by not requiring background checks.

With the 500 largest stocks you might not worry as much. If people stop buying firearms, they might have more money to buy homes. Lennar and D.R. Horton (home builders) are in the S&P 500 index.

Upvote 0

mreeed

shalom...
Oct 2, 2014
✟76,579.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Thank you for the fund info chevyontheriver. This seems a good example of something I can ask my advisor about.

Great biblical advice Rene Loup, and good principles. I can tell you've spent a lot of time on this already. I hope to go over some of the verses when I have more time. I'm interested in the final version too which will hopefully include a bit more on investing.

dqhall If my concern was only specific issues/industries, I hear index funds are standard good/safe and money-wise picks, I'm sure I'm invested in them right now if I dug deeper into it, and I have no complaint on the returns of my current investments. But if I'm picking, I hesitate to pick my options based on this, because it seems like too many people do this already and we're all just helping the rich get richer and have way too much influence over our governments, get 'too big to fail', etc.

I wonder what kinds of variations there are on the concept of an index fund? Even something that might take one of the next 500s down the list? Or if there is anything that uses something like a list of best managed companies or best places to work? Or that defend free speech?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the fund info chevyontheriver. This seems a good example of something I can ask my advisor about.

Great biblical advice Rene Loup, and good principles. I can tell you've spent a lot of time on this already. I hope to go over some of the verses when I have more time. I'm interested in the final version too which will hopefully include a bit more on investing.

dqhall If my concern was only specific issues/industries, I hear index funds are standard good/safe and money-wise picks, I'm sure I'm invested in them right now if I dug deeper into it, and I have no complaint on the returns of my current investments. But if I'm picking, I hesitate to pick my options based on this, because it seems like too many people do this already and we're all just helping the rich get richer and have way too much influence over our governments, get 'too big to fail', etc.

I wonder what kinds of variations there are on the concept of an index fund? Even something that might take one of the next 500s down the list? Or if there is anything that uses something like a list of best managed companies or best places to work? Or that defend free speech?
You may look at sector funds. Energy is hot as sanctions might disrupt oil, gas and coal exports out of Russia causing pain and suffering. This trend might also reverse someday.

There is an S&P 400 Midcap ETF.

There are a plethora of websites, books, videos and Facebook groups about these things. There are several streaming channels like CNBC and Bloomberg.

There are university courses in economics, accounting and finance that may be useful to an investor.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Buy individual stocks from companies that you already like or follow.
No annual fees at all.

Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟935,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Many church denominations have ethical investing policies, sometimes also called socially responsible investing, often identifying "sin stocks." If you are part of a large denominational body, you might use your denomination's policy as a guide so you don't have to re-invent the wheel in figuring out where you don't want to invest.

Upvote 0

Richie$

Mar 2, 2022
South Carolina
✟11,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you're looking for ethics-based ETFs there are BIBL and ACVF to name a few.
I also recommend that you look into sector rotation investing. A lot of sectors are inversely proportional, so when one goes down another goes up. I attached a diagram to give an idea of how it looks. So, the goal is to buy into a sector when it's going down. When that sector starts to go up, check what sectors are going down. Then, you rotate out of the sector that is up into the sector that is down. This way, you're following the adage of buy low, sell high.
I hope this helps you.

Attachments

• sectorotation.png
    sectorotation.png
    730.1 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Richie$

Mar 2, 2022
South Carolina
✟11,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Also, I want to add that due to the high inflation and high debt of the US government, the stock market is very volatile right now. And if the government starts raising interest rates, that's going to hurt the stock market even more. So, at this time I would recommend that you invest in energy and commodities futures. For energy, VDE or XLE are good ETFs to look at. For commodities, I recommend COMT and PDBC.

Upvote 0