United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Obedience & gratitude.

I've been praying a lot about being more humble, largely because pride is my sin of choice, and before every Eucharist I'm very much reminded of how often pride gets in the way of a better life. I've been looking for more solid ideas of how to be humble; the devil likes to take pride & swing it the other way, making us think that humility means self-defeating depression, so we swing back to pride to avoid self-destruction.

Gratitude was pretty easy to figure out; I've talked a lot about the importance of gratitude, and gratitude makes us realize that good things don't come from ourselves nearly as much as they come from others (and most especially, God). A very good friend of mine from summer camp taught me to say "Thank you" every time I saw a beautiful sunset, a cool cloud formation, any sign of God's art on His canvas of Creation is a time to say, "Thanks, God. I really appreciate this." Remember, He didn't have to make the sky so darn cool.

Obedience is something I came to understand after praying for humility while looking at colleges to transfer to.

Long story short: I want to study Theology, but my current college doesn't offer Theology. There was a college I felt would be a great school to go to, and went on a tour of it with my dad. I came away very impressed by it; my dad thought otherwise. While praying for humility, I was looking upon a crucifix, and reminded of the necessity to lay down our will to accept God.

So, I laid down my will (going to this college), out of humility, remembering the 4th commandment's order to honor my parents. At my mom's request, I looked into other colleges.

Remember everything you hear about trusting that God will make something even greater happen when you lay down your will? I don't know anything official, but another college looks very promising, where my GPA already gets me half tuition off, and it's in Milwaukee, which would be awesome! I don't know a thing about Milwaukee, but it's a big city, so that's enough for me to want to go there. Also, I think it's in the Polka Belt. And I'd get to visit some relatives I rarely see who live in Chicago a lot more often.

We'll see where God takes me, but I'm reminded once again that I need to listen to my parents (ugh!).

Any other solid tips on humility? I'm still looking for more, although I am very much aware that this will be the struggle of a lifetime; I just wanted to share what I've come up with, and see what others have discovered.

Thank you all, and listen to your parents! They're smarter than you want to admit to!

• Winner
Reactions: anna ~ grace

EzekielsWheels

Site Supporter
Oct 3, 2018
Southeast
Visit site
✟90,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Awesome! Asking Mary for more humility has helped me very much! Pride is my biggest downfall, too.

I think just asking God for humility every day will do a lot. He will provide opportunities to practice if you ask. This is a big issue I have as well and unsubmissivenes in general.

Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Awesome! Asking Mary for more humility has helped me very much! Pride is my biggest downfall, too.
This is especially relevant for Advent, but also St. John the Baptist. I keep thinking to his line, "I must become smaller so He may become bigger."

Thanks for the tip!

I think just asking God for humility every day will do a lot. He will provide opportunities to practice if you ask. This is a big issue I have as well and unsubmissivenes in general.
And asking for humility is also humility in itself; it's admittance that this isn't something I can do.

May God answer these prayers!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0