Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Person of the Year 2004
George W. Bush, the 43rd President of the United States

For sticking to his guns (literally and figuratively), for reshaping the rules of politics to fit his ten-gallon-hat leadership style and for persuading a majority of voters that he deserved to be in the White House for another four years, George W. Bush is TIME's 2004 Person of the Year

So cool!

arnegrim

...still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Jun 2, 2004
California
✟13,223.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Vylo said:
Should I say it, or will someone else find out why being Time's person of the year does not always equate to benevolence and being a good person?
Times selections are based on influence.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Billnew

Legend
Apr 23, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
✟35,363.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
BlessedMan said:
Did Time not see that Oprah gave away cars???? Surely THAT should have earned her this year's award!
She gave away cars that the dealers gave her.
She didn't buy them.

Now if she bought them i would agree.
She arranged for it to happen. Which is great but not person of the year.

JOHN 15:13
Good luck, keep the faith.
And watch out. They don't realize we're the good guys.
Unfortunately some don't know it over here either.:thumbsup: (this is as close to a salute as I could find.)

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ailanthus said:
Shoot! I was hoping that it would be Mel Gibson for making a movie that has led many to Christ, but then, the media wouldn't do something like that, would they? :doh:

Let's see.... a person who made a successfull movie VS. the most powerful person in the world - who is responsible for drastically changing the face of the middle east, has heavily divided the country, and has changed the face of US foreign relations. Who do you think is more influential?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ailanthus

Tree of Heaven
Aug 8, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟2,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
trunks2k said:
Let's see.... a person who made a successfull movie VS. the most powerful person in the world - who is responsible for drastically changing the face of the middle east, has heavily divided the country, and has changed the face of US foreign relations. Who do you think is more influential?
Well, let's see, I'll go with "People who lead multitudes to Salvation," Alex.
Heheh, just playin'. :wave:
Seriously though, yes, Bush has been a very influential person, and I have a high regard for him because of his stance on embryonic stem cell research. However, me personally, I have to give credit to the ones who have the most influence on the destination of souls. Billy Graham would be right up there too. It may not seem very significant to someone who doesn't believe, but the picture will be clear for all someday.

Upvote 0

Dworkin

Nov 29, 2004
California
✟15,753.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Why do you think 'Passion' let many to Christ? I would think that many non-believers would be put off by it. I certainly didn't come out without anything but a bad taste in my mouth.

And the 'Person of the Year' should have gone to another general name - 'Insurgents'.

Upvote 0

Ailanthus

Tree of Heaven
Aug 8, 2004
Tennessee
Visit site
✟2,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Dworkin said:
Why do you think 'Passion' let many to Christ? I would think that many non-believers would be put off by it. I certainly didn't come out without anything but a bad taste in my mouth.
Well, you can find the news on many Christian websites and publications. You're obviously not going to to hear much about it in the mainstream media. One of the many articles I read concerning the issue pertained to criminals who were turning themselves in after viewing the movie. Of course, I don't think the movie alone is responsible for this; I think it was the movie with a combination of other things that did it. I definitely believe that God worked through Mr. Gibson in the making of this film. Just my honest opinion, though! :wave:

Upvote 0

BlessedMan

Veteran
Apr 29, 2004
✟9,838.00
Faith
Christian
Dworkin said:

And the 'Person of the Year' should have gone to another general name - 'Insurgents'.
How shocked I was not that you list your religion as "atheist"...both for comment #1 and #2...

Upvote 0

Milla

Apr 24, 2004
✟19,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
BlessedMan said:
How shocked I was not that you list your religion as "atheist"...both for comment #1 and #2...
I'm a Catholic, and the movie distressed me, and not in a "now I understand the tribulations of Christ" kind of way, but in a "how did this get made" kind of way.

And I really don't think it's a moral failing to say that various insurgent groups have been very influential of late.

Upvote 0