Wesleyan
Amber.ly said:
*I still hold to ALL the traditions I originally want gone, even the flag one*

And I thought of a few more:

-Choirs in front of the church
-Football games on Sunday
-Shaking hands at church
-Single ladies catching the bouquet at weddings

Football games on Sunday was, in my humble opinion, one of the dumbest things that the NFL could come up with.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are there traditions that you are happy with but you are tempted to want to see replaced? If your answer is yes then this is the thread for you.

I only have one right now: the marching band at football games.

I love the tradition of marching bands at football games so much that on one hand I can't imagine a college or high school football game without them. But on the other hand I find myself thinking that it is time to try something new.

I say ditch the marching band and replace it with a small rock 'n' roll band. They could be on the sidelines behind the team benches during the game and perform at midfield at halftime. It would certainly leave more seats for the general public. New stadiums could be designed to acoustically enhance the new experience.

The only problem with it that I see is this: I can't imagine a rock 'n' roll band playing my school's fight song.

While we are at it, let's do away with the cheerleaders.

Baseball is supposedly behind football and basketball. But all that baseball needs to get the crowd involved is an organ. Football and basketball still have people on the sidelines saying, "Two bits..."

Hello, basketball and football! Just a friendly reminder: we have Jumbotrons now.

Upvote 0

LOVEthroughINTELLECT

The courage to be human
Jul 30, 2005
✟25,873.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is not what I would call a tradition (or maybe it continues only because it is a tradition), but the federal government needs to quit making pennies.

They just accumulate and accumulate and take up space in one's pockets. They rarely are useful in completing a transaction from the purchaser's end (it is always the seller making change with pennies).

I am aware that everything that is priced at, say, ninety-nine cents would increase to one dollar, not drop to ninety-five cents. But the tax dollars saved from no longer making pennies, alone, would probably balance that out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
E

explodingboy

I feel as though most manners are the products of irrational tradition that should be done away with. For example: Wearing hats inside is disrespectful. Why? Nobody knows. Also wearing shorts to church. Unless they are too short, there is no reason why this should be considered offensive. There is nothing spiritual about trousers. Also, not putting your elbows on the table. There is a perfect resting place right in front of me at elbow height. Why would I not use it? This does not make sense. This must have been why they invented the table: They had thousands of places beforehand where they could have put their food. They needed somewhere to rest their elbows while they ate.

This is pretty much everything I was going to say we need to enforce more of.

Personally I'd rather see more old traditions re-introduced rather than removed, especially when it comes to good manners. Also work ethics too, I'd love to see a return to the days where bother employer and employee had a mutual respect for each other, rather than seeing each as purely means of financial gain are to be sacrificed for selfish desires at a moments notice.

The only tradition I'd like to see done away with is the pope, I don't approve of the concept that with a pointy hat and a special chair means you can correct God.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
Cheerleaders.

AMEN! Seriously, I hate cheerleaders. I never understood their point. I go to a football or basketball game to watch THE GAME, not girls dance around and yell for no reason.

I personally don't like the Star Spangled Banner as a national anthem, but I don't think it will change. Which, by the way, did you know it has six verses? We only sing the first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0