Time to rebel against the clergy (a call to all)

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think this begs the question: How should a good child act?

From my perspective the question is not how should a good child act but rather how would a good child act. Should is a bit too subjectively arrived at and much more specific than needed to decide whether there is an innate nature to be good. Certainly, from my perspective, being predisposed to be mostly concerned with one's personal well being would not qualify as being innately good. Though I would not judge it as being innate evil either. I would expect that to be good one would probably be somewhat close to being as concerned with the well being of others as one would be with one's own well being.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,896.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
hello.

each person's spiritual path is unique to them. while a mentor or guide can be helpful, no one is equipped to discern another's spiritual path for them. all a person in a 'leadership' role can do is guide them towards either an external idea of god, or what the 'leader's' perceived spiritual path is, which would lead to bondage to an egregore.

I agree that nobody can discern someone else's spiritual path for them (specific God-given insight aside, and that is rare enough as not to be taken as a given). Where I disagree is that others cannot help a person decide. I have a spiritual director; he does not impose his ideas of good, or try to lead me on his path, but (mostly by questioning and helping me explore) helps me to discern my path.

But consider this; the role of a congregational leader is not, primarily, to foster the spiritual path of individuals (although some of that happens). It is to lead the mission and ministry of a community, and that is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Certainly, from my perspective, being predisposed to be mostly concerned with one's personal well being would not qualify as being innately good.

For me there would have to be questions about cognitive development and what is age-appropriate. A small infant who has not even yet developed awareness of self as separate from all can hardly be considered selfish when it wails in discomfort.

Reactions: TheOldWays
Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, Jesus encouraged people to be like the little
children, so evidently he saw some redeeming qualities in
them.

I believe his point was that we should have faith like children because , at least in those times, they would believe whatever one told them without questioning. I do not think he was telling people to act like children. I doubt that he would approve of that as then we would be even more self centered then we are now. Adults have learned to curb their selfishness in order to fit into society, children have not developed that yet.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,239,570.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I believe his point was that we should have faith like children because , at least in those times, they would believe whatever one told them without questioning. I do not think he was telling people to act like children. I doubt that he would approve of that as then we would be even more self centered then we are now. Adults have learned to curb their selfishness in order to fit into society, children have not developed that yet.
Perhaps, though he didn't seem to go out of his way to clarify that.

Upvote 0