Texas
✟15,441.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree Ken. Turned out my daughter has mild Aspbergers so it was a good thing I took her out of public schools. She would not have been able to cope. She didn't have the coping skills others have. In Christian school she found her place (band) and thrived....even made drum major and led the band!
I guess the thing is all kids are different. Some can challenge the status quo and some just can not.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can't speak for the one who wrote about the bathroom, but when I read it my thoughts were about the boy who says he identifies as a girl and then is allowed to change in the girl's locker room - despite how uncomfortable it makes the girls feel. To me, that is a problem, and I cannot understand how a school comes to that decision.
Can't say I am familiar with the specific story. However I am well aware of people who have gender changing surgery. Most of the world probably is due to recent news stories. I don't pretend to be that knowlegable about it. I did ask one person about it but they didn't want to answer (well gave a silly one line smart alec answer). If one feels that way then they would probably feel uncomfortable in the boys locker room. Since I went to a all boys school can't really comment too much on a solution. Could very well be have a number of individual change rooms and not everyone can get changed at once. Perhaps if someone is comfortable with it they could get changed in the main room instead of in a stall/cubicle.
Some women don't care if people see them in their underwear. I was at work in the back room and one of the staff who was starting came in and took her top off and I was more embarrassed than her and quickly turned my back. Turned out she grew up in a hippie commune and so nakedness was not anything unusual to her. So while the stereotype was that I would be staring and drooling and she would be embarassed it wasn't the case.

For me the reason to send kids for a Christian education isn't to isolate them in a bubble, it's to teach them absolute truth of Christ and God's word while giving them the tools needed to function in our secular society. We were able to get that.
Guess that is the main reason I hear. My son would come home from time to time commenting on how a friend had made insulting comments about people with faith. It was useful to teach about different opinions and how to deal with that in a tolerant manner. By tolerant I don't mean agreeing with them like many seem to incorrectly define it. It has never ceased to amaze me how many non-believers have asked me about my faith at different workplaces. I would be discussing what happened on the weekend and mention church or telling a funny story about something at bible study and so they would know I was christian. Because of my acceptance of people for who they were they felt comfortable talking to me. They didn't want a pushy person.

It may also be different as here in public schools across most of the country they do have scripture lessons. Not just for christians but different faiths as required and can be managed. For example there is no islamic scripture because there does not appear to be any muslims at the school. Certainly there is not a mosque nearby so no person to teach. There are I think five different faiths taught (counting catholic & protestant as one faith). There is a push for ethics classes instead of scripture but in most areas there just is a lack of people willing to run these classes. Guess people of no faith aren't that keen to volunteer. Since we go to church my son had sunday school plus books read at home and taught at home so I didn't object to ethics classes but it wasn't a solution so I kept him in scripture classes.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟369,362.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The only reason I would change schools for my children (and I do not have any, so this is a moot point with me) would be if the alternative provided a better education. As it is, I have observed the outcome of many families who have decided to go the route of home schooling. In too many cases the mother (it is almost invariably the wife who becomes the teacher) is very inexperienced and ill-equipped to provide a better education for her children than the public schools offer. In large famlies, which is all-too-often the scenario for home schooling because the culture of Christian home-schooling is frequently intertwined with the belief in a divine mandate to be as fruitful as biologically possible, the burden of teaching six or more children of varying ages and development is difficult for even the most experienced teacher. Add to that the standard household duties of laundry, cooking, housecleaning, and parenting (which is altogether different than education) the result has been many children who lack the necessary abilities which would enable them to either pursue higher education or to obtain employment in the public workplace.

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only reason I would change schools for my children (and I do not have any, so this is a moot point with me) would be if the alternative provided a better education. As it is, I have observed the outcome of many families who have decided to go the route of home schooling. In too many cases the mother (it is almost invariably the wife who becomes the teacher) is very inexperienced and ill-equipped to provide a better education for her children than the public schools offer. In large famlies, which is all-too-often the scenario for home schooling because the culture of Christian home-schooling is frequently intertwined with the belief in a divine mandate to be as fruitful as biologically possible, the burden of teaching six or more children of varying ages and development is difficult for even the most experienced teacher. Add to that the standard household duties of laundry, cooking, housecleaning, and parenting (which is altogether different than education) the result has been many children who lack the necessary abilities which would enable them to either pursue higher education or to obtain employment in the public workplace.
Met one person who had been homeschooled in a remote area and they did not know how to have a conversation in terms of body language such as looking at the person your talking to

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,333.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
... I think it's time for Christians to remove their children from public schools.

... The whole social dynamic of school is now set up as an indoctrination of our children into the left wings way of seeing things. It's nothing more than a factory to turn out future voters for the Democratic Party.

There are alternatives in good Christian schools and home schooling ...

... I guess I just want to urge my fellow Christians to consider pulling their kids from public schools. It's only going to get worse and our kids are the most important things in our lives.
I'd say "What took you so long" to come to this conclusion but every situation is a bit different. Northern Idaho is probably less on the bleeding edge of cultural devolution than for most of us. My father was a public school teacher and he got us out of the public schools to private schools. My children were never in the public schools, but went to some excellent Catholic schools. My grandchildren are poised to avoid the public schools as well, to some good Catholic schools.

I don't want to paint the public schools as all bad or the alternatives as perfect. There are still good teachers in the public schools, good school board members, good administrators, good staff. And some private or parochial or home schools might have as much or more drugs, violence, hatred of the faith, incompetence, and perversion as the public schools. The right place can shine, though, with smaller classes, more involved parents and teachers, the faith actually taught and practiced, a lack of silliness in what is taught, academic excellence, and sports that all can participate in. You just have to choose well, knowing that every educational situation can have challenges. But overall, I do think that the public schools are entering into a downward spiral, a long silly season, a politically correct nightmare, and the safest place for children now is somewhere else.

A child should be taught the faith in school. Not to do so is a failure of education. And the public schools cannot teach the faith. A child should be taught to model moral living in school. Not to do so is a failure of education. The public schools have never given up on modeling how to live, but they have unmoored themselves from Christian morality in favor of politically correct morality. It seems much more in-your-face and now that the Supreme Court has changed our society I expect the public schools will enforce the new orthodoxy.

I do appreciate those who do keep their children in the schools as agents of cultural resistance. But I think that puts too high a burden on children who should be being formed in a solid environment so they can be better prepared for resistance in college and beyond. We do have to resist the culture gone amuck but I think we ask a lot of our children to fight adult battles. So I do think it is time to find better schools for our children.

I do think it is important to figure out how to assist parents who cannot afford to escape the public schools. Tuition assistance is important. Without it, we end up with a tiny movement. With it we can save a significant proportion of children from cultural catastrophe. We need to be sure that minority children, the children of the poor, children of single parents all have a chance at a real education. So we need to put our money where our mouths are and help out the local Christian school or help out the struggling home school family. It is a significant financial hardship for many to pay tuition for multiple children in a Christian school or forgo an income to home school. So many parents would like to do that but are frightened off by the daunting financial realities of having to pay taxes for the public schools AND pay for their own children's education outside the public schools.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It may end up getting to a point where it'll be in the best interest of Christian parents to put their children in a Christian school. With or without an indoctrination process in education, schools are starting to become more adversarial to Christianity anyway. Atheists are basically doing to us as they claim we were doing to them.

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Getting ready for spring break. Cya!
Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I go to a magnet school that is public. I love it. I homeschooled for years. There were some things I loved about it for real but going to school has been 100 times better. Haven't had any of the problems described in the OP.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
I go to a magnet school that is public. I love it. I homeschooled for years. There were some things I loved about it for real but going to school has been 100 times better. Haven't had any of the problems described in the OP.

My nieces and nephews attend public schools in one of the most liberal states in the US...and I have YET to hear any of what is being said here.

Once again...I do not understand why Christians are so scared of the world around them. Jesus said something about not hiding a light under a basket.

Upvote 0

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once again...I do not understand why Christians are so scared of the world around them. Jesus said something about not hiding a light under a basket.
We are talking about children who are compelled to go to school. It is natural for parents to want the best atmosphere for their children to learn & socialize. Peer group pressure is difficult for even the most vigilant parents to modify.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
We are talking about children who are compelled to go to school. It is natural for parents to want the best atmosphere for their children to learn & socialize. Peer group pressure is difficult for even the most vigilant parents to modify.

If I'm not mistaken, all 50 states have compulsory attendance laws. Kids eventually have to live in the real world, not in some little bubble. Again, what are parents so afraid of? That their kids may be exposed to other ideas? What's wrong with that?

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

havevisions

Dec 24, 2010
Southwest Virginia
✟47,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree with the OP. We should be concerned about what our children are exposed to.

I was stunned to learn that Palo Alto, Ca. and some other schools have adopted a history book History Alive! The Medieval World and Beyond, produced by a commercial publishing company that calls itself the Teachers' Curriculum Institute (TCI). The amount of time and attention to Islam (55 pages) is given to seventh graders.

When parents were asked whether Christianity was taught, it was 16 pages, which focused mainly on the Crusades and Judaism (which was given 1 page). Many subletys in it cast Islam in a positive light . One of its statements is “Moses claimed to have received the 10 commandments from God”, but it says that “Mohammed received the Quran from God” – seems to me to be a subtle put-down of Christianity.
clip_image001.gif
(emphasis mine)
clip_image001.gif

The entire chapter-by-chapter outline is here (notice the number of chapters devoted to Islam)
http://info.teachtci.com/forum/connections/7_CA_Stndrds-Study_Guides.pdf

Now, I am in favor of giving a balanced, overview of world religions, but to skewed toward one, that's not good.

This is disconcerting to me. Fortunately, none of my family lives in Ca.

Reactions: ken777
Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I'm not mistaken, all 50 states have compulsory attendance laws. Kids eventually have to live in the real world, not in some little bubble. Again, what are parents so afraid of? That their kids may be exposed to other ideas? What's wrong with that?
When those other ideas are evil (sexual promiscuity & deviancy, drugs & alcohol, the points raised in post 32, etc), parents naturally want to protect their kids until they are mature enough to know how to handle the peer group pressure.

Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
When those other ideas are evil (sexual promiscuity & deviancy, drugs & alcohol, the points raised in post 32, etc), parents naturally want to protect their kids until they are mature enough to know how to handle the peer group pressure.

So you want little hot house flowers that wilt the minute they get out into the real world? The strongest Christian kids I've ever met are ones that are out in the world, in public schools and active in the community. The protected, homeschooled ones tend to rebel the minute they have any freedom.

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

ken777

Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So you want little hot house flowers that wilt the minute they get out into the real world? The strongest Christian kids I've ever met are ones that are out in the world, in public schools and active in the community. The protected, homeschooled ones tend to rebel the minute they have any freedom.
My experience has been the complete opposite. The home schooled children I have met are more mature & academically advanced than public school students. They are also more socially competent because they have greater adult interaction.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Butterfly99

Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My experience has been the complete opposite. The home schooled children I have met are more mature & academically advanced than public school students. They are also more socially competent because they have greater adult interaction.

Well that all depends on who is leading the homeschooling & what the expectations are. I was homeschooled from the 2nd grade up until I started hs. My aunt who used to be a school principal was our main teacher so she knew what she was doing for real. We had professors and grad students from GMU to teach us, too. I got into a magnet school that is very, very hard to get into, so they did a great job. They didn't homeschool us to hide us away from the world. It was cause my cousin has cystic fibrosis and had problems going to school. We all decided to homeschool cause that would be real lonely for just one kid to. We met up with kids from this homeschooling association we were with for field trips & stuff. Some of those kids had like 2hrs of school work a day. I'm not making that up. I definitely prefer going to school. Homeschooling when you're little is 1 thing. Doing it in HS is another. You just cannot replicate the school experience. Mine has been GREAT.

Upvote 0

Butterfly99

Oct 28, 2015
DC area
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Well unless the parents never let their kids make any friends & restricted all they read and saw on TV they'd be exposed to that anyway. If they weren't in HS then man oh man do I feel sorry for those kids when they turn 18 and are completely naive about the world.

Upvote 0

farout

Standing firm for Christ
Nov 23, 2015
Mid West of the good USA
✟14,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We are blessed to live in North Idaho where it's like the 1980s came and hid so we haven't had the problems in school others have had. That being said I think it's time for Christians to remove their children from public schools.

I think God is sending a clear message that our children are in danger at public schools both physically and spiritually. The path of God is incompatible with the path of the public school. The curriculum is not aimed at Judeo-Christian ethics as it was in the past rather school is now an arm of the Democratic Party who's Union teachers have motives that aren't good for your children.

From various states we are starting to see lesson plans pop up that teach children that the Muslim religion is not only acceptable but true. This is done to plant the seed of political correctness and blind our kids to the violence and evil nature of the Islamic faith. The sex education is becoming outrageous with ever younger children being exposed to it. This is part of the left wings push to normalize homosexuality through propagandizing our youth.

The whole social dynamic of school is now set up as an indoctrination of our children into the left wings way of seeing things. It's nothing more than a factory to turn out future voters for the Democratic Party.

There are alternatives in good Christian schools and home schooling, though the home schooling is less scary than you think. My child attends Connections Academy, it's an online school that sets up all classes, mails you your students books and has actual online classes with the teacher plus lots of work at home. If you ask me it's much closer to college anyway which is what I'm prepping him for. He's responsible to show up to class, do his work online and I look over it and submit it for grading.

My wife and I could not agree more. However, have homeschoolers ever thought about helping working parents by making a outreach to those who can't afford homeschooling? Maybe offering to homeschool someone else's kids. If Christians really believe public schooling is so very bad (and it is) why not help keep a kid out of these worldly schools?

Upvote 0

Zandy12

Life is like a rollarcoaster, just enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2015
Iowa
✟19,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

RedPonyDriver these are kids we are talking about, they're not being recruited in the army and HS or any public school is not supposed to be boot camp. I wouldn't want to push my kids in school for the sake of learning how to deal with the "real world" or any reason other than pure education. I would want them to be teached basic human morality, virtues, decency, and devotion so they can learn to be different then the rest of the world. That they can make a difference in it. I agree with you that children need to develop coping resources, but that is not the governments job to do, it is the parent's. Besides, homeschooling or christian schools aren't going to turn kids into "little hot flowers". That is just complete ignorance and dismissal of the schooling method that might actually be more beneficial to some kids vs. others, which is what the parent should be concerned about anways and that is what is best for their child. There are plenty of success stories from attending homeschooling and christian schools, its not as bad as lot of people like to paint them as from the sheer horror of PC. Again, we have to decide as a priority what is best for the child given the opportunity to do so.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

RedPonyDriver

Professional Pot Stirrer
Oct 18, 2014
USA
✟76,166.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Democrat
First of all...I have a real issue with the first two words of your response...it seems more like a curse than anything else.
Second of all...I have seen plenty of "Christian" homeschooled kids who do not get a decent education, are kept isolated from the rest of the world and have no idea how to live in the real world once they leave home. They are woefully undereducated, have no idea how to deal with anyone who might challenge their beliefs, and can't even figure out how to do anything without mommy, daddy and a bible. I've even interviewed a few for jobs...good grief! Some of them have to bring a sibling or parent to the interview because they aren't allowed to be by themselves. I don't give two hoots about beliefs if I'm hiring you for a job.

I am opposed to keeping kids in a hot house...HIGHLY opposed. I consider it an abuse of that child's mind and will to keep them tightly controlled without the ability to think or feel independently, to consider different ideas, and not be required to do nothing but parrot mommy and daddy. God gave everyone an intellect, and as far as I am concerned, it is a sin to not help your child exploit it to the fullest...and let them find their own way in the world.

Upvote 0