✟68,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Fred may strengthen again over gulf; Tropical Storm Grace forms

It is now blatantly obvious that between the weather battles with Communist Red China and the man-made problem of Global Warming, that the annual weather calamities down there are not eventually going to calm down. The thought of having to move hundreds of miles north can be overwhelming but it is now a necessity.

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fred may strengthen again over gulf; Tropical Storm Grace forms

It is now blatantly obvious that between the weather battles with Communist Red China and the man-made problem of Global Warming, that the annual weather calamities down there are not eventually going to calm down. The thought of having to move hundreds of miles north can be overwhelming but it is now a necessity.
Home and auto insurance rates have risen in Florida due to hurricanes, but people keep moving to Florida. The most destruction is where the eye wall crosses. My area was without power for a couple of months once in the past 50 years during Hurricane Charlie.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I have been saying since Katrina that New Orleans needed to be abandoned. Still, it is amazing what they have done to keep the waters out.

But it is not going to last forever.
The idea to abandon cities to catastrophes has become utterly foreign to modern civilisation. It will take a lot to make the concept stick.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The idea to abandon cities to catastrophes has become utterly foreign to modern civilization. It will take a lot to make the concept stick.
Given that most of our cities are centers of trade and economic activity, it would have to be a really bad catastrophe to make us consider it.

But, if you are a large corporation in a city that starts to have major catastrophes on a regular basis and your insurance premium keeps going up despite the precautions you take, you would seek to move. Enough large employers moving away and a city will slowly die.

If it doesn't get wiped off the map first.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have been saying since Katrina that New Orleans needed to be abandoned. Still, it is amazing what they have done to keep the waters out.

But it is not going to last forever.
The Dutch in the Netherlands/Holland have many acres of farmland below sea level behind dikes. They have been farming this way for more than 500 years. One third of the Netherlands are below sea level. They used windmills to pump water out of low lying areas.

Louisiana grows 2/3 of America’s rice and other crops too. The southern coast is home to a small shrimp fishing industry. Louisiana ports service offshore oil and gas. People will have to stay and work.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Dutch in the Netherlands/Holland have many acres of farmland below sea level behind dikes. They have been farming this way for more than 500 years. One third of the Netherlands are below sea level. They used windmills to pump water out of low lying areas.

Louisiana grows 2/3 of America’s rice and other crops too. The southern coast is home to a small shrimp fishing industry. Louisiana ports service offshore oil and gas. People will have to stay and work.
Does any of that require a city where New Orleans is right now? I think we can do that with a port city that is mostly on higher ground.

Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
You might not know about the Saint Marcellus flood, but the people of the Netherlands have not forgotten.

Saint Marcellus's flood - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Does any of that require a city where New Orleans is right now? I think we can do that with a port city that is mostly on higher ground.

Generally speaking, you want to have the port city where the port is...

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟310,955.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Generally speaking, you want to have the port city where the port is...
True, but if half the city is below the waterline and floods with regularity, one has to wonder if it is a viable place for a port.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
True, but if half the city is below the waterline and floods with regularity, one has to wonder if it is a viable place for a port.

True, and if the Mississippi River would meet up with the Gulf of Mexico somewhere else -- preferably above the waterline -- that'd be great.

Not sure how that would be possible, but it would, indeed, be great.

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Nithavela

Apr 14, 2007
✟492,680.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
That is tragic. Then I remembered the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami that killed over 200,000. As I was watching TV I saw video of entire blocks of beach development being washed away: people, houses, vehicles and businesses washed away

Indian Ocean tsunami of 2004 | Facts & Death Toll
It is fitting that mankind is washed away like the stain on earth that it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums