Survivor
Mar 1, 2002
California
Visit site
✟7,688.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Hi everyone
I was recently diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I knew something was up when I was gaining weight out of the blue no matter how much I swam/ate very little and kept active.
So now I am going to be taking medication. I just went out a few days ago and bought some new clothes since none of mine fit me now. That alone was rather depressing because I feel so powerless about the situation and I hated having to spend money to buy bigger clothes, however I was down to NOTHING that fit me and trust me I really went through my closet. I am so surprised at how fast I gained the weight too.
I am feeling a bit down because of it but my doctor says thats "normal". I am not only feeling down about the weight gain (all those aches and pains that come along with it, especially my back) but also I seem to be having mood swings and even more headaches than ever before, especially at night. My hormones are all messed up right now.:sigh:
My doctor wanted to start me on the thyroid med but since I am going away to Holland next week, he decided to wait until I get back from my 2 week trip...
Has anyone here ever gone through something similar? or have family members with hypothyroidism? misery really wants company right about now :cry:

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've had an underactive thyroid for several years. I'm taking Synthroid. My symptoms were the opposite. I had weight loss. Something I can't afford. Both are "normal" for hypothyroidism. :sigh: I was tired all the time. Cold too with aches and pains. And my hair started falling out.
eek.gif

My entire system was just out of it. The medication really does help. I've found in my case I can't be careless and skip doses or the symptoms come back full force. But it really is manageable. :hug:

Upvote 0

Marcel

Quixotic Cloggie
Oct 4, 2002
Holland
Visit site
✟9,296.00
amie said:
Hi everyone
I was recently diagnosed with an underactive thyroid. I knew something was up when I was gaining weight out of the blue no matter how much I swam/ate very little and kept active.
So now I am going to be taking medication. I just went out a few days ago and bought some new clothes since none of mine fit me now. That alone was rather depressing because I feel so powerless about the situation and I hated having to spend money to buy bigger clothes, however I was down to NOTHING that fit me and trust me I really went through my closet. I am so surprised at how fast I gained the weight too.
I am feeling a bit down because of it but my doctor says thats "normal". I am not only feeling down about the weight gain (all those aches and pains that come along with it, especially my back) but also I seem to be having mood swings and even more headaches than ever before, especially at night. My hormones are all messed up right now.:sigh:
My doctor wanted to start me on the thyroid med but since I am going away to Holland next week, he decided to wait until I get back from my 2 week trip...
Has anyone here ever gone through something similar? or have family members with hypothyroidism? misery really wants company right about now :cry:
I could give you a long hard hug :hug: I hope that helps a little.
(Or maybe a table for two at "Ristorante Teatro" on the 31st at 7:00 pm will cheer you up a bit. ;))

Upvote 0

ZiSunka

It means 'yellow dog'
Jan 16, 2002
✟38,767.00
Faith
Christian
I've been taking synthroid for 4 years, and just this year I added cytomel. What a difference! All my muscle aches went away in the first few days. And my weight is returning to normal.

Cytomel has all the components of normal thyroid excretions, but synthroid only has the T4 hormone. You need all the components to make you healthy again, so ask your doctor to give you synthroid AND cytomel. My coworker turned me on to the stuff and it made a big difference to him, too.

Upvote 0

CeCe

Veteran
Mar 25, 2003
Visit site
✟1,867.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
lambslove said:
I've been taking synthroid for 4 years, and just this year I added cytomel. What a difference! All my muscle aches went away in the first few days. And my weight is returning to normal.

Cytomel has all the components of normal thyroid excretions, but synthroid only has the T4 hormone. You need all the components to make you healthy again, so ask your doctor to give you synthroid AND cytomel. My coworker turned me on to the stuff and it made a big difference to him, too.

:cool: I didn't know that Synthroid was missing anything. I'm going to have to look into this. Almost that time again. Thanks. :)

Upvote 0
I had been diagnosed with hypothyroidism a while back, and after doing a bit of research, also found out that Synthroid only has T4 while other stuff has T3 and T4. I've gone through a couple of doctors, and none of them wanted to prescribe anything else for me. Said it would introduce more variables into the equation.

There have been a couple of times where I simply forgot to take my medication for a couple of days, and then by the time I finally remembered, I also noticed I was feeling *better*. My mood had noticeably improved over that time. Unfortunately, this only lasted for a few months, and the old symptoms returned. I'm beginning to think its a seasonal thing ... in the summer i dont need any (or a much smaller dosage) than in the winter. Anyone else have this experience?

Upvote 0
I am recently finding out the horror of hypothyroidism , from fatigue to depression , ugly rigid fingernails ,massive weight gain(76 pounds in four years shhhh) but i have a good doctor who is helping me thru no improvement yet but i feel with faith and good knowledge it will come in time ......thanks for this board its really nice

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mary of Bethany

Only one thing is needful.
Site Supporter
Jul 8, 2004
✟341,456.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Hi, amie

I've been taking a generic form of Synthroid for 16 years and I don't have any side effects from it.

I also gained a lot of weight over a short period of time, and thyroid was the first thing my doctor wanted to check when I went back to him. I was so tired all the time that all I could do when I got home from work every day was to lay down. I didn't have energy to do anything else. The energy picked up noticeably as soon as I went on the medication. One thing though - don't expect to just drop weight just because you go on the medication. It doesn't really do that. But you will have the energy to exercise, and a better metabolism to help you out.

Good luck to you - and have fun on your trip!

Mary

Upvote 0

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My dad had his entire thyriod removed because of thyriod cancer. He now takes one thyroxine tablet a day and has no problems with them. I'm sure you'll feel much better once you're on the medication and your body is getting the right amount of hormone it needs. :hug:

Upvote 0

suzq2000

Sep 30, 2004
Berkeley, CA
✟132.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I had always thought the T4 from levothyroxine (Synthroid) just gets converted to T3 in your body, anyway. So I didn't think it mattered if you just took levothyroxine. But then I recently read that some people did really well in trials of the T3/T4 combo, having better mood, fewer physical symptoms, etc. I say there's no harm in checking it out! Our doctors probably check for it anyway but just always be sure that after starting on it, that there's nothing lingering on, that could also cause problems, like anemia or something...

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,571.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hey hugs for you! :hug: I might have thyroid problems but I honestly don't know because I've never been tested for it. Can't afford to go to the doctor to get tested. But I do seem to gain weight easy and I get tired easily too. I'll be praying for you. :prayer:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

IloveyoumyLORD

Sep 23, 2004
Johannesburg
✟165.00
Faith
Christian
Same here!! I have had an underactive thyroid since 1980!! September 2001 my doc decided to do an anti-body count.... well, mine was sky high 748!! MY BODY IS KILLING OFF MY THYROID!! Last month I had a check up... the count??? 1186!! (sigh)
STarted doing Yoga... eating very healthy... still gained 17kg since 2001!

VERY DESPERATE!!!!! PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ADVICE???

Warmhuggles

Marti

Upvote 0