Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Aquila and Priscilla (Acts 18:2-3) were from Italy, I’m thinking Rome. I suspect you are thinking about Acts 19:1-3, where the disciples of John were baptized in the Holy Spirit. The way I get it, and of course I might be wrong, Aquila, Priscilla and Apollos were dropped off in Ephesus while Paul was on his way to the Holy Convocation in Jerusalem and founded the churches in Asian Minor. My thought here is that there was more then one dynamic working here, the moving of the Holy Spirit not withstanding. Paul had met Priscilla and Aquila in Corinth, I’m guessing his second missionary journey (Acts 18:21), they had been expelled from Rome.

Following the persecution of Christians in Jerusalem after the martyrdom of James the gospel spread through Phoenicia, Cyprus and I assume other places. The gospel had already reached Rome following Pentecost, it staggers the imagination, were Aquila and Priscilla part of that originally founded Jewish church in Rome?

Perhaps idle speculation but it does make one wonder.
I was going for more the shock of Jews hearing that being the sons and daughters of Abraham was not going to seal the deal in the Kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I never understood why some have a problem with the idea that we are federally connected to Adam, but accept the idea that we are federally connected Christ. In the verses you pointed out, Christ is contrasted with Adam in the work of imputing under their respective covenants as federal head. In Adam all die, in Christ all live.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I never understood why some have a problem with the idea that we are federally connected to Adam, but accept the idea that we are federally connected Christ. In the verses you pointed out, Christ is contrasted with Adam in the work of imputing under their respective covenants as federal head. In Adam all die, in Christ all live.
What does federal head mean?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Romans 5:12 Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned

Take note that the above verse is of course correct but this is what many people think it says:

"Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so SIN spread to all men because all men sinned"

That misreading is the basis for the doctrine that Adam's has passed down his SIN to all of us but of course that is not what the verse says. Death is what is passed down to us, and of course that is only because we also sin, "so death spread to all men because all men sinned"

So death is only spread to those who sin, and of course all (above the age of accountability) have sinned.

So, Adam's sin is not spread to others making original sin incorrect because that is what it teaches.
Death is spread, but only to those that have sinned.

So, a baby is born without Adam's sin and without that spiritual death. When the child ages to accountability and then sins, then that death comes to them and the only way to remove it is to be forgiven.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Romans 5:18: "Therefore, as one trespass led to condemnation for all men, so one act of righteousness leads to justification and life for all men."

Romans 5:19: "For as by the one man's disobedience the many were made sinners, so by the one man's obedience the many will be made righteous."

This is so clear...

• Winner
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 5:12 Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all men sinned

Take note that the above verse is of course correct but this is what many people think it says:

"Therefore as sin came into the world through one man and death through sin, and so SIN spread to all men because all men sinned"

That misreading is the basis for the doctrine that Adam's has passed down his SIN to all of us but of course that is not what the verse says. Death is what is passed down to us, and of course that is only because we also sin, "so death spread to all men because all men sinned"

So death is only spread to those who sin, and of course all (above the age of accountability) have sinned.

So, Adam's sin is not spread to others making original sin incorrect because that is what it teaches.
Death is spread, but only to those that have sinned.

So, a baby is born without Adam's sin and without that spiritual death. When the child ages to accountability and then sins, then that death comes to them and the only way to remove it is to be forgiven.
Keep reading. It’s both death and sin and they are not interchangeable.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Keep reading. It’s both death and sin and they are not interchangeable.

Wrong. Death is passed on only when that person sins their own sin. Adam's sin does not get passed down. It is unscriptural and scripture itself speaks against such a concept:

Eze_18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

I didn't inherit any sin from my father and certainly not from Adam.

Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Wrong. Death is passed on only when that person sins their own sin. Adam's sin does not get passed down. It is unscriptural and scripture itself speaks against such a concept:

Eze_18:20 The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Sorry to butt-in this conversation, but that passage refers to the responsibility of a private, individual act of transgression. Adam was a public representative for the human race, under an agreement between him and God.

If you will use that kind of logic in Ezekiel 18, then YOU aren't at all righteous on the basis of Christ's perfect person and finished work through faith, because "the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him" alone. "Righteousness" and "wickedness" in this context refers to the obedience of the Law of Moses, and not with the spiritual reality of our status before God.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,699.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
For all have sinned...that’s in the Bible. ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
A particular person who is called to represent a body or group in a covenant before God.
I get that in our first parent all die, I've come to realize the 'in Christ' we recieve the promises of God by grace throygh faith. Federal head seems a highly ambiquise terminology to me in comparison.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

That's called Pelegianism.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I get that in our first parent all die, I've come to realize the 'in Christ' we recieve the promises of God by grace throygh faith. Federal head seems a highly ambiquise terminology to me in comparison.

However you view the term, as long as you understand and believe what the text says.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry to butt-in this conversation, but that passage refers to the responsibility of a private, individual act of transgression. Adam was a public representative for the human race, under an agreement between him and God.

We are all our own "Adam" responsible for our own sins. We are not responsible for Adam's sins, nor is anyways else responsible for our sins. Each person is judged for their own sins.

No scripture states Adam's sin was passed down to anyone.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
We are all our own "Adam" responsible for our own sins. We are not responsible for Adam's sins, nor is anyways else responsible for our sins. Each person is judged for their own sins.

No scripture states Adam's sin was passed down to anyone.
What about Galatians 2:20?

Upvote 0