Through a dark glass and dark sayings and parables

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ps 78: 1,2 Listen, O my people, to my instruction: Incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old

When pointing people to Jesus Christ, and this includes myself too, I tell them to listen for His words! That is what I try to do.

There are a number of issues that come up when you try to hear from Him. For example: you have to do it by faith. Also, God is spirit so it is His Holy Spirit that speaks to your spirit. You don't hear sound waves but that still small voice which is found in your heart, or perhaps on your lips. Another thing is that God is not the only spirit. There are also angels and fallen angels (demons, evil spirits), so discernment is needed. Another thing is that His thoughts are not your thoughts and His ways not your ways. All those things and more create issues when seeking to hear from Him.

One of the more (other issues) which I want to discuss is the picking Him up like though a glass darkly and picking Him up in dark sayings and parables. The saying are not dark because they are evil but because you have to get light on them! Now this mean a couple of things, but primarily it means we need to seek Him again after we get something from Him!

So often I see where a Christian picks up a word from the Lord and instantly breaks off the conversation with the Lord! They sometimes also instantly blurt out what they heard without thinking about it first. This can create problems!

Note: it is also written that what you hear whispered in your ear, shout on the house tops! - but that doesn't mean you should get some more information and understanding on the way to the house top to shout!

We need to have an understanding that no matter how clearly we think we got a word from the Lord - we see though a glass darkly and He speaks to us in dark sayings and parables!!!

K2K

Jul 21, 2010
✟50,646.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For a couple of years the Lord had me open and run a Christian bookstore, which might be compared to being like a bar tender, because I got to meet and have interesting conversations with quite a variety of Christians. It was a slow store so I could really take time to talk to them.

There was this lady who came in a couple of times who would hear from the Lord and instantly blurt out "THUS SAITH THE LORD …….."

She must have done that at least three times in the 15 or so minutes that I talked to her the first time. She also came back, probably because I took the time to listen to her. Because of the things she told me was how she had a hard time getting along at churches, which of course was not surprising considering the way she presented the words she got from the Lord. She was actually a nice lady, but she was just as obviously turning others off with the way she approached her "shouting on the house tops" and she wasn't considering what she had heard but just blurting it out, which presented another problem. She wasn't taking time to test the spirits.

The second time she came into the store and I an even longer conversation with her. Again there were several times when she suddenly blurted out "THUS SAITH THE LORD....". I found this quite entertaining. It was hard not to laugh at her, but she seemed to be hearing from the Lord and I like to encourage that, so I listened. Then she suddenly blurted out something that I had talked to the Lord about and what she was saying was obviously wrong.

So I talked instantly took it to the Lord (inside which is where you find Him, on your heart) He responded to me, "Karl, did you see her take time to test the spirits?" No, she had not done that. Then He explained that He was going to help her with that.

It was about that time she started telling me that the Lord had called her into deliverance ministry. As she was telling me I went back to the Lord. "Lord, you are taking her into deliverance ministry. She doesn't even test the spirit?"

He responded, "She learn."

Ok, we all have things to learn and there is a reason why God set it up that we pick Him up like through a glass darkly and in dark saying and parable. Isn't it so that we will slow down, consider, and take even what He tells us back to Him to make sure we get more understanding?

Remember how His disciple were. Jesus told the people parables but His disciples went back to Him to get more understanding

Luke 8:9 His disciples began questioning Him as to what this parable meant.

That is how we need to be!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Ps 78: 1,2 Listen, O my people, to my instruction: Incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable; I will utter dark sayings of old

When pointing people to Jesus Christ, and this includes myself too, I tell them to listen for His words! That is what I try to do.

There are a number of issues that come up when you try to hear from Him. For example: you have to do it by faith. Also, God is spirit so it is His Holy Spirit that speaks to your spirit. You don't hear sound waves but that still small voice which is found in your heart, or perhaps on your lips. Another thing is that God is not the only spirit. There are also angels and fallen angels (demons, evil spirits), so discernment is needed. Another thing is that His thoughts are not your thoughts and His ways not your ways. All those things and more create issues when seeking to hear from Him.

One of the more (other issues) which I want to discuss is the picking Him up like though a glass darkly and picking Him up in dark sayings and parables. The saying are not dark because they are evil but because you have to get light on them! Now this mean a couple of things, but primarily it means we need to seek Him again after we get something from Him!

So often I see where a Christian picks up a word from the Lord and instantly breaks off the conversation with the Lord! They sometimes also instantly blurt out what they heard without thinking about it first. This can create problems!

Note: it is also written that what you hear whispered in your ear, shout on the house tops! - but that doesn't mean you should get some more information and understanding on the way to the house top to shout!

We need to have an understanding that no matter how clearly we think we got a word from the Lord - we see though a glass darkly and He speaks to us in dark sayings and parables!!!

My wife is an astonishingly gifted Pentecostal and sometimes the messages she gets for me are OFF THE SCALE OFFENSIVE TO ME...... but sure enough..... within a number of months or sometimes years......the messages that she gets for me finally begin to make sense!

I am often not thrilled when she tells me that a certain friend in my life is bad news...... but ...... she is always correct....... even though it has made me rather angry............ more than once.......

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

The text about "we see through a glass darkly" is a piece of metal that is polished. The image one sees when using it as a mirror is a blur, distorted.

Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For a couple of years the Lord had me open and run a Christian bookstore, which might be compared to being like a bar tender, because I got to meet and have interesting conversations with quite a variety of Christians. It was a slow store so I could really take time to talk to them.

There was this lady who came in a couple of times who would hear from the Lord and instantly blurt out "THUS SAITH THE LORD …….."

She must have done that at least three times in the 15 or so minutes that I talked to her the first time. She also came back, probably because I took the time to listen to her. Because of the things she told me was how she had a hard time getting along at churches, which of course was not surprising considering the way she presented the words she got from the Lord. She was actually a nice lady, but she was just as obviously turning others off with the way she approached her "shouting on the house tops" and she wasn't considering what she had heard but just blurting it out, which presented another problem. She wasn't taking time to test the spirits.

The second time she came into the store and I an even longer conversation with her. Again there were several times when she suddenly blurted out "THUS SAITH THE LORD....". I found this quite entertaining. It was hard not to laugh at her, but she seemed to be hearing from the Lord and I like to encourage that, so I listened. Then she suddenly blurted out something that I had talked to the Lord about and what she was saying was obviously wrong.

So I talked instantly took it to the Lord (inside which is where you find Him, on your heart) He responded to me, "Karl, did you see her take time to test the spirits?" No, she had not done that. Then He explained that He was going to help her with that.

It was about that time she started telling me that the Lord had called her into deliverance ministry. As she was telling me I went back to the Lord. "Lord, you are taking her into deliverance ministry. She doesn't even test the spirit?"

He responded, "She learn."

Ok, we all have things to learn and there is a reason why God set it up that we pick Him up like through a glass darkly and in dark saying and parable. Isn't it so that we will slow down, consider, and take even what He tells us back to Him to make sure we get more understanding?

Remember how His disciple were. Jesus told the people parables but His disciples went back to Him to get more understanding

Luke 8:9 His disciples began questioning Him as to what this parable meant.

That is how we need to be!

You should have laughed at her. Hebrews 1

Upvote 0