Three men are set to be exonerated after 36 years behind bars for wrongful murder conviction

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
Arrested as teens, three men are set to be exonerated after 36 years behind bars for wrongful murder conviction
The death of 14-year-old DeWitt Duckett was historically horrible. Walking down the hallway of his Baltimore middle school one afternoon in November 1983, he was accosted and shot for his Georgetown University jacket. He was the first student ever killed in a Baltimore school. The pressure to solve the case was intense, and early on Thanksgiving Day, Baltimore police arrested three teenagers from another school who were charged, as adults, with murder.

Several months later, all three were convicted and sentenced to life in prison. All three insisted they were innocent.

Gradually, as the decades passed, two of the men gave up hope of ever seeing the outside world again. But Alfred Chestnut, now 52, kept pushing. In May, he sent a handwritten letter to the Baltimore state’s attorney’s Conviction Integrity Unit, after seeing city prosecutor Marilyn Mosby discussing the unit on television, saying it was designed to check out claims of wrongful convictions. Chestnut included new evidence he’d uncovered last year that incriminated the man authorities now say was the actual shooter. The Baltimore prosecutors dug in quickly, reviewed the case and re-interviewed witnesses, and on Monday afternoon, they will ask a Baltimore judge to grant writs of actual innocence and order Chestnut and his childhood friends Ransom Watkins and Andrew Stewart released from prison after 36 years — in time for the Thanksgiving they missed in 1983, and every year after that.

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
The Racism Right Before Our Eyes
Most of our public discourse about racism — when it’s not about violence or monuments or presidential rhetoric — is about white privilege, implicit bias and structural racism. Instead of specific actors, we tend to focus on forces that don’t actually implicate anyone in particular.

Those forces are real. And those conversations are important. Racial inequality is about the structure of our society. But it’s also about more ordinary bias and discrimination.

There are still racist individuals. They still act in racist ways. And in the aggregate, their actions still work to disadvantage entire groups on the basis of race. It’s not as visible as it once was, but it is real, and it still weighs on the lives — and the livelihoods — of millions of people.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,576.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is the main reason I am against the death penalty, our system does not treat everyone equally and is not flawless.

The death penalty will save more innocent lives than it will take.

Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Some criminals should be put to death.
I don't have a problem with this statement. My issue is that our system cannot determine with 100% accuracy who is guilty and deserves death as this article proves. If we cannot be 100% sure then we should not be killing people.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
36 years income ...... promoted? pay raises? medical, retirement, benefits .....

The state should make all three very wealthy men. Those who gave false testimony should be prosecuted.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't have a problem with this statement. My issue is that our system cannot determine with 100% accuracy who is guilty and deserves death as this article proves. If we cannot be 100% sure then we should not be killing people.

Not true. Most cases are open and shut. The tail shouldn't wag the dog.

Upvote 0

A Gerbil

Oct 8, 2019
Lanarkshire, Scotland
✟16,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The death penalty will save more innocent lives than it will take.

That's conjecture.

I do not believe any genuine Christian can be an exponent of the death penalty. Jesus was merciful - he washed Judas' feet, knowing that his act of betrayal would lead to Him being humiliated and ultimately tortured to death. He healed the ear of one of the Roman soldiers who was arresting Him.

If one truly believes in God, then you can rest knowing that sinners will be judged and justice done.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's conjecture.

I do not believe any genuine Christian can be an exponent of the death penalty. Jesus was merciful - he washed Judas' feet, knowing that his act of betrayal would lead to Him being humiliated and ultimately tortured to death. He healed the ear of one of the Roman soldiers who was arresting Him.

If one truly believes in God, then you can rest knowing that sinners will be judged and justice done.

God will deal with them in the hereafter. They need to be dealt with them in the here and now.

Society at large is not under grace as is the church but under basically the same law that Jesus upheld during his lifetime. Jesus upheld the death penalty while the law was still in force, for an offense that was arguably less serious than murder.

Upvote 0

A Gerbil

Oct 8, 2019
Lanarkshire, Scotland
✟16,856.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God will deal with them in the hereafter. They need to be dealt with them in the here and now.

Society at large is not under grace as is the church but under basically the same law that Jesus upheld during his lifetime. Jesus upheld the death penalty while the law was still in force, for an offense that was arguably less serious than murder.

Jesus said "those without sin cast the first stone!" Where in the Bible did Jesus uphold the death penalty, or advocate for murder and violence?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus said "those without sin cast the first stone!" Where in the Bible did Jesus uphold the death penalty,

Matthew 15:3-5 King James Version (KJV)

3 But he answered and said unto them, Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?

4 For God commanded, saying, Honour thy father and mother: and, He that curseth father or mother, let him die the death.

5 But ye say, Whosoever shall say to his father or his mother, It is a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me;

Mark 7:10-12 King James Version (KJV)

10 For Moses said, Honour thy father and thy mother; and, Whoso curseth father or mother, let him die the death:

11 But ye say, If a man shall say to his father or mother, It is Corban, that is to say, a gift, by whatsoever thou mightest be profited by me; he shall be free.

12 And ye suffer him no more to do ought for his father or his mother;

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Clizby WampusCat

Jul 8, 2019
Texas
✟109,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Not true. Most cases are open and shut. The tail shouldn't wag the dog.
This is a scary idea. There have been many cases of new evidence that exonerates a person on death row. The consequences of being wrong are tragic. We know that we have been wrong in the past and we have no way to know if we will be wrong in the future. Our justice system is not fair, prejudiced at times and not 100% foolproof. You can compensate for a wrongful incarceration but not a wrongful killing of an innocent person.

Upvote 0