Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm going to have to insist you read this: Tertullian Does not Want You to Baptize Your Babies

along with the links on the canon issue.

Didn't Tertullian want to discourage baptism on two counts ... ?

First that some believed any serious sin after baptism wouldn't be forgiven (so deathbed baptism was preferable)

And secondly (actually first maybe, since I'm not sure he believed the "unforgivable sin" part early on) ... but also so that the person responsible for the child's upbringing would not be at fault if the child failed to continue?

I believe some of the churches address the second concern by only allowing baptism if the infant has a reasonable expectation of being raised according to the principles of faith?

And the first consideration has been rejected.

I think I remember reading this though?

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceThruFaith

Aug 24, 2013
✟15,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You do know that the Church determined the canon and there were many writings, some of them earlier than the writings of the New Testament, that were not included?

How do you know that the New Testament is Scripture?

Actually all scripture is given by God.

So God the Holy Spirit inspired the writers of the New Testament to write the books and letters that make up the New Testament,

Then the saved of Jesus Christ determined which were in and which were out because the Holy Spirit in them determined that. Heretical, those of dubious origin, and uninspired books were discarded because they were heretical, of dubious origin, and uninspired. For almost 2000 years God has preserved these and they have been translated into other languages.

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Is the Gospel of Thomas Scripture?

Then the saved of Jesus Christ determined which were in and which were out because the Holy Spirit in them determined that. Heretical, those of dubious origin, and uninspired books were discarded because they were heretical, of dubious origin, and uninspired. For almost 2000 years God has preserved these and they have been translated into other languages.

And those same people who determined "which were in and which were out" also believed in infant baptism. Does that not concern you?

Upvote 0

SavedByGraceThruFaith

Aug 24, 2013
✟15,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is the Gospel of Thomas Scripture?

And those same people who determined "which were in and which were out" also believed in infant baptism. Does that not concern you?

The gospel of Thomas has heresy, is gnostic, and is not the word of God and therefore not scripture.

The doctrines, traditions, and commandments of men are not the word of God.

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Didn't Tertullian want to discourage baptism on two counts ... ?

First that some believed any serious sin after baptism wouldn't be forgiven (so deathbed baptism was preferable)

And secondly (actually first maybe, since I'm not sure he believed the "unforgivable sin" part early on) ... but also so that the person responsible for the child's upbringing would not be at fault if the child failed to continue?

I believe some of the churches address the second concern by only allowing baptism if the infant has a reasonable expectation of being raised according to the principles of faith?

And the first consideration has been rejected.

I think I remember reading this though?

Right on.

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

So God the Holy Spirit inspired the writers of the New Testament to write the books and letters that make up the New Testament,

2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

What about the books that were removed after the Protestant Reformation?

Were they wrong about those being Scripture in the first place?

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The gospel of Thomas has heresy, is gnostic, and is not the word of God and therefore not scripture.

Who says that the Gospel of Thomas is not Scripture?

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
The Catholic Church says that the gospel of Thomas is not canonical sacred scripture.

My point was that it was a decision made by the Church. The book didn't drop from the sky with the words "canonical" stamped on the front.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
My point was that it was a decision made by the Church. The book didn't drop from the sky with the words "canonical" stamped on the front.
That is correct. The book came from a church council in the later part of the fourth century AD with "canonical" attributed to a list of 73 books.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well the East has usually been more Resurrection-focused and the West has usually been more cross-focused, for one thing
I don't think this is true. I think East and West always viewed these together.
A better question is, what was it like in the beginning?
Yes, like, can you prove there was no infants baptized in the early church, or that immersion was the only way it was done?
Well, let's say you have two Christians, one who believes in credobaptism and the local church, and the other who believes in paedobaptism and episcopal hierarchy. To me, those two Christians should be able to use determine historically who is following Apostolic Christianity.
Your divisions leave something to be desired. I mean who's to say that credo- and paedo- baptisms aren't one and the same? Cannot a parent make an affirmation for his own child? And why do you separate local church and hierarchy? How granular do you want to get? The Catholic Church has hierarchy as well as locality-you have the central governing body, the Vatican, then you have more local, the diocesan, then you have the parish, then you have the home.
None of those, I'm looking for causes of lack of dialogue between groups and general disinterest in historical analysis of one's faith.

The point is, what did Jesus institute?

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Actually no. All scripture is God breathed which means God knows what is scripture and is more than able to maintain it. The council merely discovered what God had already ordained.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

How do you know that the gospel of Thomas isn't the true Gospel while the other ones are heretical?

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Your divisions leave something to be desired. I mean who's to say that credo- and paedo- baptisms aren't one and the same? Cannot a parent make an affirmation for his own child?

That's what makes them different; the parent is making the affirmation and not the child.

And why do you separate local church and hierarchy?

I don't. The question is whether any hierarchy existed.

The point is, what did Jesus institute?

Yep

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Actually no. All scripture is God breathed which means God knows what is scripture and is more than able to maintain it. The council merely discovered what God had already ordained.

So if Christians already knew what the canon was, why hold a council at all?

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I do not have to answer your question if I just disproved it with the facts.

So they were wrong and your question was answered with the word of God.

No infant baptism in the word of God as clearly refuted in Acts 8:36-38 and Acts 10:36-48
You proved nothing of the sort. They prove that an adult may be baptized Christian. Doesn't speak against infant baptism at all. The second passage doesn't even say who was listening to Peter. It just says that all were baptized.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2013
✟19,178.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

It was more of a rhetorical question than anything because they wouldn't have needed to hold a council if everyone already knew what the canon was.

Your previous response is essentially just dismissive of the legitimacy of the authority of the early Church.

Upvote 0

Hentenza

I will fear no evil for You are with me
Mar 27, 2007
On the bus to Heaven
✟60,078.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It was more of a rhetorical question than anything because they wouldn't have needed to hold a council if everyone already knew what the canon was.

Your previous response is essentially just dismissive of the legitimacy of the authority of the early Church.

Not at all. God knows and maintains His true word, man does not. Secondly, it is not a coincidence that all Christian scripture was written while the apostles were alive and it is no coincidence that the canon closes with the book by the last apostle. Thirdly, most of the canon was already set by 170ad because all of the true gospels and letters had been circulating the primitive churches.

Upvote 0