Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Due to the fact that slaughterhouses are closed due the the pandemic, the pig farmers have decided to kill thousands of pigs to save profits.

This live footage comes from a farm worker who is working with animal rights activists to expose what is currently happening in farms all over the US.

I must warn you, that this might be upsetting to some people.

This of course raises many questions:

Why are the employees worried that the act of killing these pigs was filmed when it is normal and legal?

Why are they using steam to kill these pigs painfully when they could use nitrogen which is cheaper and at least causes a death without pain?

If profits are lost regardless since they can't sell the pigs for meat, why not give them away to sanctuaries instead of this senseless slaughter?

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,565.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Why are the employees worried that the act of killing these pigs was filmed when it is normal and legal?

It's not a good look, especially with editing and sad/horror music.

If profits are lost regardless since they can't sell the pigs for meat, why not give them away to sanctuaries instead of this senseless slaughter?
How many places in pig shelters are there, and who covers the overhead costs?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
why not give them away to sanctuaries instead of this senseless slaughter?
How many places in pig shelters are there, and who covers the overhead costs?
Yeah, I suppose sanctuaries do not have room for thousands of piggies. And the ones people might adopt into sanctuaries could be those pet Vietnamese type piggies which even know how to live in a home. They might have been rescued from abusive owners or people who can't afford them, any more, or people who died; and they can socialize in pens with lots of room for other piggies . . . not many in a pen. Thousands of commercial pigs would mean no room for the rescued ones, from homes.

The ones being killed are not adapted for living with humans. At least on farms, pigs can be aggressive, and carriers of dangerous strep which are resistant to antibiotic and therefore very dangerous if a pig infects you.

It would be simpler and cost less, maybe, just to pay the pig farmers to take care of them, where they are . . . maybe, I say.

But this is not only about profit. They care about the workers who would be getting sick by continuing to work in meat processing plants during the pandemic.

I suppose some pigs could be used to feed animals in zoos. But there might be a sanitary issue, of pigs maybe having pathogens which could infect exotic zoo animals which are not adapted for pathogens which commercial pigs could have.

That's a lot of space to fill with nitrogen. There would need to be an adequate supply produced, even if it really does cost less. And they already have the means, and it might take time and effort of labor to set up equipment and supply, and pay for food while they wait for all that to happen. So, I suppose that all can figure into it.

Thinking it is not the same as actually getting people to do it :)

Upvote 0