May 22, 2006
✟2,092.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And the origional settlers like the men of 1620 etc were devout Bible-believers. They dedicated this land to the proclaimation of the Gospel. God has honored that and America has spread the good news of Christ all over the world and even into space and the moon. I recall the historic Earth-rise Bible reading from our Apollo astronauts as they Earth came into view from the moon... In the Begining God... And our nation made it into a postage stamp with the moon, the capsule, and the Earth with the words "In the begining God..." That was so cool! What a government. We honor our Creator... as did the founders. I celebrate that and the other roles of God in American history.

Upvote 0
S

Steezie

And the origional settlers like the men of 1620 etc were devout Bible-believers. They dedicated this land to the proclaimation of the Gospel. God has honored that and America has spread the good news of Christ all over the world and even into space and the moon. I recall the historic Earth-rise Bible reading from our Apollo astronauts as they Earth came into view from the moon... In the Begining God... And our nation made it into a postage stamp with the moon, the capsule, and the Earth with the words "In the begining God..." That was so cool! What a government. We honor our Creator... as did the founders. I celebrate that and the other roles of God in American history.
Yes, and they also believed women were subservient to men, that native people were lesser people than them, and that it was perfectly ok to kill someone who's faith differed from yours.

Not exactly an example I want to follow

Upvote 0

OhhJim

Often wrong, but never in doubt
Aug 19, 2004
Walnut Creek, CA
✟6,051.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So LovesTruth, you honestly think that slavery is OK and that the Native Americans were blessed by Europe settling America?

This was a very (very) common sentiment of Southerners in 1860. The idea that slavery was a God-given blessing (I'm not kidding) was widespread in the antebellum South.

For one thing, slaves had no unemployment. (No, I'm really not kidding.) For another, they had free room, board, and clothing. (Still not kidding, fantastic as it sounds.) And, of course, the proof was in the fact that the Slave-owning America had prevailed over the Non-Slave-owning Great Britain in the War of 1812, which proved that God favored Slave Owners. (Yes, this was the "logic" that was taught back then.)

And here's the real kicker: There are people today who still advocate these ideas. I had a long conversation with a conservative Christian brother from Tennessee, who voiced all these concepts, and saw nothing wrong with them.

Upvote 0

Donkeytron

Veteran
Oct 24, 2005
✟9,874.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What other roles has god had in american history, just out of curiosity?

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I hate to be pedantic... but the "original" settlers were on the North American Continent significantly prior to 1620

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Smallpox?

Nah. Smallpox, like all disease, is a result of Original Sin, which was the fault of Satan and Man. God had nothing to do with it.

I hate to be pedantic... but the "original" settlers were on the North American Continent significantly prior to 1620

Indeed they were. Up until just a decade or so ago, most archaeologists adhered to what is referred to as the "Clovis Model", in vogue since the 1930's. This hypothesis stipulated that the ancestors of Native American peoples came over a land bridge from Siberia about 11,500 years ago during the last Ice Age, thus becoming the "first inhabitants" of North America. Most archaeologists prior to 1990 would dig until they hit the "Clovis horizon" and simply stop, assuming that since there "were no" human inhabitants prior to 11,500 years ago, they would find nothing.

However, archaeologists since then have started digging below the Clovis horizon, and to their surprise, they have discovered a plethora of remains and objects that vastly pre-date Clovis culture. Dozens of skeletons and artifacts unearthed (or previously unearthed and subsequently re-examined) in North America over the last ten or fifteen years do not fit the Standard Archaeological Template, either being too old for Clovis, or worse, of the wrong archaeoethnic make-up.

The Spirit Caveman, found near Fallon, Nevada, for example, is approximately 9,400 years old, but analysis indicates that he was not Amerindian, but either Caucasian, or possibly Ainu. Kennewick Man, found in 1996 on the Columbia River, dates from 9,500 years ago, and, again, resembles either a Caucasian or an Ainu, or possibly Polynesian. One site in Chile is dated to 12,500 years ago---1,000 years before anybody is supposed to have walked across the Bering Strait. The Meadowcroft Rockshelter site in Pennsylvania has yielded artifacts that date from 14,000 to 17,000 years old. Another site at Saltville, Virginia, has also rendered artifacts at least 14,000 years old, and the Cactus Hill site, also in Virginia, has yielded spearpoints that are older than 15,000 years ago.

The Topper site on the Savannah River contains artifacts such as tools and spearpoints dating from 12,000 years ago. The kicker is that they do not bear resemblance to similar artifacts constructed by Native American peoples. On the contrary, they are nearly identical to artifacts made by people of the Solutrean culture---which flourished in France and Spain from about 19,000 to 15,000 years ago.

So, whoever was here first, it seems likely that they were not necessarily Native Americans. They very well were probably either Asians, Polynesians, or---jarringly---even Europeans.

Ironic, huh?

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Nah. Smallpox, like all disease, is a result of Original Sin, which was the fault of Satan and Man. God had nothing to do with it.

Indeed they were. Up until just a decade or so ago, most archaeologists adhered to what is referred to as the "Clovis Model", in vogue since the 1930's. This hypothesis stipulated that the ancestors of Native American peoples came over a land bridge from Siberia about 11,500 years ago during the last Ice Age, thus becoming the "first inhabitants" of North America. Most archaeologists prior to 1990 would dig until they hit the "Clovis horizon" and simply stop, assuming that since there "were no" human inhabitants prior to 11,500 years ago, they would find nothing.

However, archaeologists since then have started digging below the Clovis horizon, and to their surprise, they have discovered a plethora of remains and objects that vastly pre-date Clovis culture. Dozens of skeletons and artifacts unearthed (or previously unearthed and subsequently re-examined) in North America over the last ten or fifteen years do not fit the Standard Archaeological Template, either being too old for Clovis, or worse, of the wrong archaeoethnic make-up.

The Spirit Caveman, found near Fallon, Nevada, for example, is approximately 9,400 years old, but analysis indicates that he was not Amerinidan, but either Caucasian, or possibly Ainu. Kennewick Man, found in 1996 on the Columbia River, dates from 9,500 years ago, and, again, resembles either a Caucasian or an Ainu, or possibly Polynesian. One site in Chile is dated to 12,500 years ago---1,000 years before anybody is supposed to have walked across the Bering Strait. The Meadowcroft Rockshelter site in Pennsylvania has yielded artifacts that date from 14, to 17,000 years old. Another site at Saltville, Virginia, has also rendered artifacts at least 14,000 years old, and the Cactus Hill site, also in Virginia, has yielded spearpoints that are older than 15,000 years old.

The Topper site on the Savannah River contains artifacts such as tools and spearpoints dating from 12,000 years ago. The kicker is that they do not bear resemblance to similar artifacts constructed by Native American peoples. On the contrary, they are nearly identical to artifacts made by people of the Solutrean culture---which flourished in France and Spain from about 19,000 to 15,000 years ago.

So, whoever was here first, it seems likely that they were not necessarily Native Americans. They very well were probably either Asians, Polynesians, or---jarringly---even Europeans.

Ironic, huh?
and interesting!

Oh... except for your small pox bit... if God created the universe and all life as we see it today, doesn't that imply he created the smallpox virus too?

Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟276,738.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
and interesting!

Oh... except for your small pox bit... if God created the universe and all life as we see it today, doesn't that imply he created the smallpox virus too?

Yes, but before the Fall of Man it was benign. It was only after the Original Sin was committed that it became corrupt and harmful.

Just like everything else. Before Original Sin: Paradise, Heaven on Earth. After Original Sin: The Mess We Have Now.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yes, but before the Fall of Man it was benign. It was only after the Original Sin was committed that it became corrupt and harmful.

Just like everything else. Before Original Sin: Paradise, Heaven on Earth. After Original Sin: The Mess We Have Now.
Sorry... so... who designed the pathogenic components of smallpox?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This was a very (very) common sentiment of Southerners in 1860. The idea that slavery was a God-given blessing (I'm not kidding) was widespread in the antebellum South.

Yeah, I knew that the Bible was used to justify Christianity, I'm just shocked that there are people who still think it's ok today!!

And here's the real kicker: There are people today who still advocate these ideas. I had a long conversation with a conservative Christian brother from Tennessee, who voiced all these concepts, and saw nothing wrong with them.

I imagine that they're all for it until they were the ones who were enslaved and essentially lost all their rights. I think it's scary and sad that there are some who would try to justify slavery.

Upvote 0

BlackAndy

Everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Dec 5, 2006
Hilliard, Ohio, USA
✟25,599.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think the decendants of slaves have reaped the rewards of their ancestors sufferings 100 fold.

Consider where they would be had their ancestors NOT been brought to this country. Scraping out a living in a mudhut in some third world country... if they weren't running from one of the multitude of genocidal maniacs running those chaotic countries in Africa.

Upvote 0

EnemyPartyII

Sep 12, 2006
✟20,084.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think the decendants of slaves have reaped the rewards of their ancestors sufferings 100 fold.

Consider where they would be had their ancestors NOT been brought to this country. Scraping out a living in a mudhut in some third world country... if they weren't running from one of the multitude of genocidal maniacs running those chaotic countries in Africa.
Could you be any more condescending?

So slavery is alright because the decendants of slaves arent suffering from the post colonial problems that OTHER Europeans have inflicted in African countries?

Gee the White Man's burden is strong with this one

Upvote 0