• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Thoughts on Two Years Sober.

madison1101

Senior Veteran
Sep 17, 2004
Pennsylvania
✟5,939.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
While I celebrated two years sober on January 15, I was not able to attend the AA Anniversary meeting this past Sunday. Fortunately, my friend went to that meeting and picked up my coin. I love the anniversary meetings because we celebrate people's time sober, from 24 hours, to sometimes 25-35 years.

My AA sponsor has been sober 22 years. She and I attended our first AA meetings in October of 1989. Two years ago, when I spent two weeks of January 2010 in a drug and alcohol rehab, I learned a lot about why I continually relapsed. I had never worked all 12 Steps of the AA program. Also, while in treatment I received a copy of the Life Recovery Bible, which has devotions which are based on the 12 Steps and scripture that supports that Step. I was blessed to meet a believer while there, and we would have early morning devotions, and pray for one another each morning. During one of our prayer times, I surrendered my alcoholism and life over to the Lord, and my obsession to drink or abuse drugs was gone. It has not returned, and I am so grateful. Also, I made a commitment to complete all 12 Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous with my sponsor. I am going to start another fourth step tonight, which will be more extensive than the one I did two years ago.

I recommend anyone struggling with alcohol to attend some AA meetings and see if you relate to what people share, and to purchase the Life Recovery Bible and use it in your journey of recovery. It is available on Amazon.com.

Snarf

Believer
Jan 16, 2012
Atlanta, GA
✟7,648.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for sharing your story! For years I tried to stop drinking but it couldn't happen. Well, after spending the night in jail for my second DUI, I prayed for God to come into my life and remove my obsession with alcohol. He did, and it's been an alcohol-free 1 year and 10 months since that day. For the first 6 months or so I spent a lot of time in the AA rooms. Now my recovery is mostly church-based.

A friend of mine stopped drinking right after my 1-year non-drinking anniversary. Earlier this week she moved over a thousand miles away, and I purchased a copy of the Life Recovery Bible for her to take on her journey. She was very thankful and told me she gives me much of the credit for her initial realization that she had a problem with alcohol. It really makes me feel great to see the work that God did in my life that helped her make some great changes in hers. So no matter what else I do in this life, I know I've helped 1 person defeat their demonic obsession with alcohol, and come closer to God in the process. And that's pretty awesome.

Again, thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed reading that this morning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

VincentHChough

Disciple, Writer
Feb 2, 2012
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Visit site
✟7,783.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have to be here though. We have to keep praying for those stuck in addiction. You never know who is reading these boards but never posts because they feel shame.
Our words and testimonies will speak to their hearts. And our prayers have weight with the Lord.

Please Lord, free them from the bondage of abuse as you have freed us. Heal them of their wounds. Wash them clean of their sin. Comfort their families.

Grace to you all,
Vince

Reactions: Autumnleaf
Upvote 0