London
✟106,444.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One friend says the name is the most important thing - I researched into it a decent while ago and came to the conclusion I couldn't verify it due to the multiple languages involved but didn't keep the points I wrote down when I was studying the topic. What are the for and against points for this topic? Restudying it recently hallelujah being short for praise Yahweh is the most intriguing and strongest point I'd like to know more about.

God has no name/measurement ...

• Winner
Reactions: garee
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Our Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.....etc

As with us all, we are known by many names, father, mother, son, daughter, cousin, boss, him, her, he she, it, they, etc. And that does include Ms, Mr, Mrs, Jr, Sr, and any others you can think of. When it comes to the name I am born with, it was given by my parents. In scripture, when it prophesied about the Messiah's name, it will be "Immanuel" it said, which didn't happen. As far as we can tell He was named "Yeshua" [various spellings and pronunciations for various reasons] and yet here it is today and the discussion rages on as to what is His name.

Names were given at birth, changed with important changes in life, for example when Abram was changed to Abraham..
Genesis 17:5
Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.

The value of a name was in what it said and how it relates to the person's life.
Genesis 2:23
And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
Genesis 3:20
And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

So when we are all re-united with the Lord for eternity in His Kingdom after the death of sin and death, it could easily be that our Lord will be given a new name, worthy of the King of the Universe, King of Kings.

• Informative
Reactions: garee
Upvote 0

AbbaLove

Circumcism Of The Heart
May 16, 2015
✟120,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Our Father, which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.....etc
It's permissible to substitute "Holy" or "Sacred" for "Hallowed" (old English) whether as children or adults when we repeat the Lord's Prayer.

Does anyone think Yeshua or His Disciples said "Hallowed" ... thus we shouldn't get so adamant on thee correct spelling and pronunciation whether Yeshua/Yahshua or YHVH/Yahweh ... as if only one is pure. After all it's the intent of ones heart that's most important. So why are some quick to pity those that pronounce in a different dialect, language or unknown heavenly tongue than what the sacred name movement believes is thee one and only correct methodology?
So when we are all re-united with the Lord for eternity n His Kingdom after the death of sin and death, it could easily be that our Lord will be given a new name, worthy of the King of the Universe, King of Kings.
Revelation 19:11-13
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many crowns; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself. 13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

If He revealed the "name written on Him (that no one knows except Himself) would religious mankind still continue to debate over the exact pronunciation? Thus, why "no one knows except Himself."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

JMireles

Dec 25, 2020
Midwest
✟17,023.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I will typically refer to Jesus as either Jesus or Yeshua. As for the Father, and the whole godhead, YHWH, haShem, Adonai, Elohim, and the English equivalents. If your friend is part of the group I'm thinking of, they're legalistic at best, and potentially blasphemous at worst. Tying Salvation in with a specific pronunciation of the name of the Lord is akin to judging in a manner that is only reserved for Yeshua, to say nothing of the fact that it seeks to pigeonhole Him into a specific mold by making it seem as if He is somehow unable to understand the different ways that people in different languages pronounce His name. There isn't a being alive anywhere in this universe that is capable of limiting haShem in that manner.

• Winner
Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
It's permissible to substitute "Holy" or "Sacred" for "Hallowed" (old English) whether as children or adults when we repeat the Lord's Prayer.

Does anyone think Yeshua or His Disciples said "Hallowed" ... thus we shouldn't get so adamant on thee correct spelling and pronunciation whether Yeshua/Yahshua or YHVH/Yahweh ... as if only one is pure. After all it's the intent of ones heart that's most important. So why are some quick to pity those that pronounce in a different dialect, language or unknown heavenly tongue than what the sacred name movement believes is thee one and only correct methodology?
Revelation 19:11-13
11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse, and He who sat on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and wages war. 12 His eyes are a flame of fire, and on His head are many crowns; and He has a name written on Him which no one knows except Himself. 13 He is clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God.

If He revealed the "name written on Him (that no one knows except Himself) would religious mankind still continue to debate over the exact pronunciation? Thus, why "no one knows except Himself."
I agree with the "hallowed" but luckily that wasn't the point of my post.

Upvote 0