Jan 8, 2010
✟23,413.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what it is but Good Friday services always seem to result in quite a bit of out-of-the-ordinary or questionable activities when it comes to the Protestant faith.

I have attended a number of churches over the years and had the following activities performed and members encouraged to participate in them:
  • Foot washing ceremonies
  • Carrying a large wooden cross around the street block
  • Physically nailing sins (written on pieces of paper) to a wooden cross.
I have a few questions about them. Does performing these activities today fall under the realm of Christian freedom or are they considered sinful to do so? In other words, since many of these activities were more culturally appropriate back then than it is now, is it right or wrong to do so? Many people see them as silly displays of outward piety while others see it as wanting to understand what people went through back then.

In any case, I'd like to hear some thoughts about whether or not churches should encourage their members to participate in these activities every Good Friday.

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what it is but Good Friday services always seem to result in quite a bit of out-of-the-ordinary or questionable activities when it comes to the Protestant faith.

I have attended a number of churches over the years and had the following activities performed and members encouraged to participate in them:
  • Foot washing ceremonies
  • Carrying a large wooden cross around the street block
  • Physically nailing sins (written on pieces of paper) to a wooden cross.
I have a few questions about them. Does performing these activities today fall under the realm of Christian freedom or are they considered sinful to do so? In other words, since many of these activities were more culturally appropriate back then than it is now, is it right or wrong to do so? Many people see them as silly displays of outward piety while others see it as wanting to understand what people went through back then.

In any case, I'd like to hear some thoughts about whether or not churches should encourage their members to participate in these activities every Good Friday.
One I participated in previously had us take a nail while thinking about our sins and drop the nail at the foot of the cross. It was simple, and to the point.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
I view these sorts of things as simply teaching tools to help people better understand Jesus' death and resurrection and what those events may mean to us. Whether or not they are *good* teaching tools is a different matter and would depend on the specific thing and how effective (or non-effective) they were for the message.

• Agree
Reactions: Kerensa
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟583,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
First, I think of how the Lord's Supper is for showing His death until He comes, and it is done in remembrance of Jesus. So, Good Friday activities are not the one item of the year for remembering Christ and His passion.

Yes, anything can be only a ceremony and outward show and maybe a social event.

But foot washing can be in order to appreciate how Jesus washed His disciples feet and we need to follow the meant example of this; so it can be good for preaching the Gospel, by demonstrating one of the things Jesus did.

Carrying a cross around can be good, as a memorial of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ who suffered and died for us. But in us we need to keep living the cross >

"And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma." (Ephesians 5:2)

Are be being sweet-smelling to God in what we do, or are we busy with making a stink about what others are doing??

And it can be good to evaluate what are the sins which God is especially concerned about, such as unforgiveness and frustration and fighting and lusts, and to acknowledge how we need correction, by writing them down and nailing them to a cross. This can be a way of helping others to know what is right and what is wrong, plus it can be a way of confessing to one another in order to get each other's healing prayer >

"Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." (James 5:16)

So, if you see such things, make the right connection > to how God can mean a thing, instead of right away comparing it to how ones, maybe, in past history could have done something the wrong way, or how ones nowadays might do the thing wrong.

A lot of people use money the wrong way, but it can be used the right way, right?

Upvote 0