Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
We often hear such negative things about Rebekah - about how she persuaded Jacob to trick Isaac into giving him Esau's blessing. But Jehovah told Rebekah that Jacob was to rule over Esau. (Genesis 25:23.) I think she was actually being obedient to God, or at least believed that she was.

Also, people say that Jacob built his flocks of sheep and goats by dishonest means but I disagree. He used a brilliant method of breeding to get the desired lambs for himself and Jehovah obviously had no problem with what he did, in fact he blessed it. (Genesis 31).

Anyway... just where my thoughts are this morning.

Danielwright2311

Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2018
Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
We often hear such negative things about Rebekah - about how she persuaded Jacob to trick Isaac into giving him Esau's blessing. But Jehovah told Rebekah that Jacob was to rule over Esau. (Genesis 25:23.) I think she was actually being obedient to God, or at least believed that she was.

Also, people say that Jacob built his flocks of sheep and goats by dishonest means but I disagree. He used a brilliant method of breeding to get the desired lambs for himself and Jehovah obviously had no problem with what he did, in fact he blessed it. (Genesis 31).

Its not that she thought she was doing Gods work, but its the other way around.

God was doing his work in her.

Upvote 0

StrivingFollower

Oct 20, 2017
South
✟35,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yeah i always thought she was guided by God. Isaac made the choice between the two flawed sons too superficially, and Rebekah knew his error. God chose her to be Isaac's girl for a reason. :) I actually love that chapter. It's kind of a lesson on sticking with the right decision even when it feels so dangerous and wrong.

• Agree
Reactions: Rachel Rachel
Upvote 0

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
Yeah i always thought she was guided by God. Isaac made the choice between the two flawed sons too superficially, and Rebekah knew his error. God chose her to be Isaac's girl for a reason. :) I actually love that chapter. It's kind of a lesson on sticking with the right decision even when it feels so dangerous and wrong.
Doing what is right, sometimes involves overriding the decisionmaker. Abigail did that when her husband made the wrong decision.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Lot's of great stuff in this story. But the main point is that the 'he-goats' that bred the ewes were actually speckled and ringstraked, even though Jacob thought he had separated them out. I'm guessing that the 'rods' that he peeled was actually Esau's idea. It actually stood as a deception as it likely had no effect on the outcome of the breeding.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rachel Rachel

Messianic/Church of God 7th Day
Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2013
In the middle
✟328,556.78
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Lot's of great stuff in this story. But the main point is that the 'he-goats' that bred the ewes were actually speckled and ringstraked, even though Jacob thought he had separated them out. I'm guessing that the 'rods' that he peeled was actually Esau's idea. It actually stood as a deception as it likely had no effect on the outcome of the breeding.
I think Jacob was just penning the ewes so as to get the desired speckled, ringstreaked and grizzled lambs he wanted. I don't see any deception, myself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Rebekah didn't like Esau's choice of a spouse, she wanted nothing to do with that woman. They became the Edomites and while Jacob and Esau worked things out the Edomites were a major problem for Israel.

“‘Because you have said, “These two nations and countries will be ours and we will take possession of them,” even though I the Lord was there, therefore as surely as I live, declares the Sovereign Lord, I will treat you in accordance with the anger and jealousy you showed in your hatred of them and I will make myself known among them when I judge you. (Ezekiel 35:10-11)
This might be an insight into why Rebekah didn't like her son's bride. During the time of Nehemiah the Israelites married women from the surrounding nations, they were forced to divorce them and send their wives and children away. They stood around in the rain as Ezra came to his decision, it sounds like a very painful moment in Israel's history. The Gentiles were never completely excluded from the covenant, Rahab and Ruth were both Gentile women and are actually in the genealogy of Jesus.

Care should be exercised to appreciate how Rebekah felt about this and why.

Grace and peace,
Mark

• Informative
Reactions: Rachel Rachel
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think Jacob was just penning the ewes so as to get the desired speckled, ringstreaked and grizzled lambs he wanted. I don't see any deception, myself.

The deception was that Laban might have been led to believe the peeled rods had something to do with the outcome when in fact they didn't.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The deception was that Laban might have been led to believe the peeled rods had something to do with the outcome when in fact they didn't.
Perhaps but I have always thought the battle of the tricksters is epic entertainment.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I see God's hand in this speckled flock matter.

God either prepared 'speckled' bucks that didn't show evidence of such or Jacob didn't examine the bucks thoroughly enough. All that was needed was the smallest patch of off-color hair somewhere on the animal to indicate a 'speckled' buck.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm guessing that the 'rods' that he peeled was actually Esau's idea.
I was not aware that Esau was anywhere near Jacob and Laban during that time.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
God either prepared 'speckled' bucks that didn't show evidence of such or Jacob didn't examine the bucks thoroughly enough. All that was needed was the smallest patch of off-color hair somewhere on the animal to indicate a 'speckled' buck.
OR - God just speckled and striped them to bless Jacob.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This might be an insight into why Rebekah didn't like her son's bride. During the time of Nehemiah the Israelites married women from the surrounding nations, they were forced to divorce them and send their wives and children away.
That was more than a thousand years later.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was not aware that Esau was anywhere near Jacob and Laban during that time.

Ya gotta be a deer hunter to understand what happened there. Jacob was not a deer hunter, Esau was.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Ya gotta be a deer hunter to understand what happened there. Jacob was not a deer hunter, Esau was.
Of course. But at that time Esau was also a Jacob hunter. He wanted to kill Jacob for "stealing" the blessing.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Of course. But at that time Esau was also a Jacob hunter. He wanted to kill Jacob for "stealing" the blessing.

Esau probably shared his knowledge of deer with Jacob some time before the split.

My brother often shared his knowledge of martial arts with me, although I never had any interest in pursuing it myself.

Upvote 0