Thoughts on "Radical".....the book.

jmc66

Jan 6, 2011
✟7,663.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Has anyone read this book? What an awesome, eye-opener "Radical" is.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

As for me, it sure makes me rethink the things that Christ said. I truly do believe that many in our culture have tried to re-shape Him into what they want Him to be rather than who He really is.

Anxious to hear from you all.

:thumbsup:

• Agree
Reactions: ml5363

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Are you talking about the one by David Platt? I've read that. Its a very good book. I don't always agree with his theology(him being a 4 1/2 point calvinist, and me not being one) but he hit it out of the ball park with that book. It is such a fantastic read. :)

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I attend the University of Tennessee at Martin, and we just read through it in BCM (formerly BSU) LifeGroup last semester. It's extremely convicting, to the point of depressing. I've actually brought it up in a few other posts here on the Forums. I've been a Christian since I was 7 years old, always trying to do the will of Yeshua/Jesus my Saviour, even creating a website ministry my senior year in high school to reach more with the gospel. When I read that book, it made me realize that even with everything I had been doing, I needed to do much more.

As we read through it, we also read through the short book "Look What God Can Do" by Jess Jennings, a missionary in the Philippines that two of my friends met last summer on a mission trip, and he came to speak one week at the BCM (Baptist Collegiate Ministry). We also read through the WORLD CHRISTIAN material, and prayed for certain countries around the world each week. It was one of the most enlightening Bible studies I've ever been a part of, and I definitely walked away with knowledge that can save the world (Hosea 4:6).

I really think that David Platt's book "Radical," or L.A. Marzulli's DVD, "Watchers" need a full-fledged group Bible study. One can get a lot out of them by themselves, but group discussion enhances faith so much. Remember, where two or three are gathered in His name, He will be there also (Matthew 18:20).

The first week, we watched this sermon by David Platt, which gives some insight into book.David Platt, SBC 2009 - Part 1

Upvote 0

MagusAlbertus

custom user title
Aug 25, 2003
Edinburg TX
Visit site
✟1,310.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When I read that book, it made me realize that even with everything I had been doing, I needed to do much more.
you've got i backward bro.

You need to be humble; I'm afraid that like myself you are going down a path in which you will be humbled.

It is easy to praise and get caught up in the Glory of the Glorious One; But a window has nothing to do with the creation of the light.

Humility toward God much too often leads to thinking you are anything more worthy than mud.

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
you've got i backward bro.

You need to be humble; I'm afraid that like myself you are going down a path in which you will be humbled.

It is easy to praise and get caught up in the Glory of the Glorious One; But a window has nothing to do with the creation of the light.

Humility toward God much too often leads to thinking you are anything more worthy than mud.

What are you talking about? That book humbled all of us in the LifeGroup. When I said, even with all I was doing, I need to do much more, I meant that I have lived an almost idealistic life. I grew up in a Christian home, and my parents and sister and I almost never fought, and when we did, we were back to normal within less than 5 minutes, we always did stuff together, and we have always studied the Word together. My grandparents are the same way, but even with all of that, that book still humbled me because I realized that there is so much more I need to be doing.

In every post, you pull a statement of mine and twist it to your own enjoyment. You clearly are not a diligent student of the word because you always are looking for a division to make within the Body,especially in my posts about the End Times. I suggest you bury yourself in the Word for a while till that divisive spirit is gone, and I'll be praying for you (Ephesians 6:18). What most don't realize is that the "mockers" the Bible speaks of seem to be other Christians, as they themselves say, "...ever since the fathers fell asleep, all continues just as it was from the beginning of creation" (2 Peter 3:4b).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I used to be a fan of similar books, though I have not read this one. However, I find that these books leave us to self-religiosity off of select scriptures and diminish the true Gospel. Sure, we should be helping the poor, the downcast, the crippled, as Christ did. But Christ didn't call us to religiosity. He called us to call sinners to trust in the Gospel of Christ to bring glory unto Himself and God.

I've read things like "Crazy Love," "The Irresistible Revolution," and "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger," (I even went to Francis Chan's church for awhile when I lived in California) and I agree. We should love others. But love consists of sharing the Gospel of Christ and everyone functioning as one body. It's about preaching the Gospel to the lost and the Spirit of God convicting the elect and bringing them into the Kingdom, it's not about making the Earth a better place before sending people off to Hell.

I find, in my case, these books just lead to legalism, not to a Christ-centered, Christ-exalting, Christ-glorifying salvation. We are not all evangelists called to give up everything. Good grief. The Old Testament is FILLED with rich, godly men. Ironically, people think we can get people to "see Jesus in us," when the world doesn't even see Jesus in Jesus!

These types of books have frustrated my assurance immensely, and I find so many people just say, "Wow, that was really convicting." Then they go, and do nothing about it. Or if they do, it lasts for a short while, and then they stop. But never anything lasting. Sure, maybe 1 of many do. But I just find the Gospel in these books very humanistic and do-it-yourself with very little emphasis on what Christ did for sinners on the cross, and what His obedience actually accomplished, rather they tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.

But maybe I'm just a rarity.

If this doesn't apply to this book, I'm sorry. But I've read so many books that sound similar to this. Perhaps it is foolish of me to respond without even reading the book, but I care too much about my soul not listen to a legalistic gospel message, again.

Upvote 0

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I used to be a fan of similar books, though I have not read this one. However, I find that these books leave us to self-religiosity off of select scriptures and diminish the true Gospel. Sure, we should be helping the poor, the downcast, the crippled, as Christ did. But Christ didn't call us to religiosity. He called us to call sinners to trust in the Gospel of Christ to bring glory unto Himself and God.

I've read things like "Crazy Love," "The Irresistible Revolution," and "Rich Christians in an Age of Hunger," (I even went to Francis Chan's church for awhile when I lived in California) and I agree. We should love others. But love consists of sharing the Gospel of Christ and everyone functioning as one body. It's about preaching the Gospel to the lost and the Spirit of God convicting the elect and bringing them into the Kingdom, it's not about making the Earth a better place before sending people off to Hell.

I find, in my case, these books just lead to legalism, not to a Christ-centered, Christ-exalting, Christ-glorifying salvation. We are not all evangelists called to give up everything. Good grief. The Old Testament is FILLED with rich, godly men. Ironically, people think we can get people to "see Jesus in us," when the world doesn't even see Jesus in Jesus!

These types of books have frustrated my assurance immensely, and I find so many people just say, "Wow, that was really convicting." Then they go, and do nothing about it. Or if they do, it lasts for a short while, and then they stop. But never anything lasting. Sure, maybe 1 of many do. But I just find the Gospel in these books very humanistic and do-it-yourself with very little emphasis on what Christ did for sinners on the cross, and what His obedience actually accomplished, rather they tie up heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves are not willing to move them with their finger.

But maybe I'm just a rarity.

If this doesn't apply to this book, I'm sorry. But I've read so many books that sound similar to this. Perhaps it is foolish of me to respond without even reading the book, but I care too much about my soul not listen to a legalistic gospel message, again.

It doesn't apply to "Radical" at all, not by a long shot. In fact, you basically gave a description of the book (ironic since you haven't read it). The whole point of the book is to not soften Jesus's words that we have trouble comprehending while exalting the verses we like. The SUBTITLE of the book is "Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream" and it describes how, in many cases, American Christianity has turned to a "white, middle-class, American Jesus," and that when many churches meet on Sunday, they aren't worshipping the Jesus of the Bible, but themselves. Here is a video with David Platt giving a short description of his book:Radical by David Platt

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It doesn't apply to "Radical" at all, not by a long shot. In fact, you basically gave a description of the book (ironic since you haven't read it). The whole point of the book is to not soften Jesus's words that we have trouble comprehending while exalting the verses we like. The SUBTITLE of the book is "Taking Back Your Faith From the American Dream" and it describes how, in many cases, American Christianity has turned to a "white, middle-class, American Jesus," and that when many churches meet on Sunday, they aren't worshipping the Jesus of the Bible, but themselves. Here is a video with David Platt giving a short description of his book:Radical by David Platt

He seems to be preaching the same things those other books have. A literal interpretation of Christ's teachings. The purpose of all of Christ's teachings was to point us to Him and Him alone. It's similar to Christ saying to be born again, we CAN'T be born again so our sole reliance is on Christ. Not selling all our possessions and giving to the poor. This removes the emphasis on the work of Christ to the work of man. To show what I mean, who, out of all these preachers, has actually sold all they own and given to the poor? Who has actually fully denied themselves and picked up their cross? No one. Thus our reliance in all of these teachings is on Christ who saves.

I can't love Christ enough, I can't love man enough, I can't serve enough, I can't give enough, I can't ever attain what Christ told us to have, which is why my reliance is on Christ. These teachings just sound very works-based. "Unless you give up all you have you can't be saved." Okay, then I guess none of these teachers are saved either.

I believe, personally, you have to be very careful with teaching such messages because a new believer may say, "What? I have to do all this to be saved?" They will NEVER have assurance, and I know because I've personally struggled with this! Consider John Wesley, probably no man (as Spurgeon would say), fit more to be an apostle than John Wesley. Yet John Wesley lived the Gospel and never attained any assurance of his salvation, and only did when he relied on Christ.

Again, I truly believe all of Christ's teachings were to point to Him, not to man literally doing something. No one seeks after God, no one does good, no not one. If this is the case, how can you expect to as St. Francis would say, go from gospel to life, and life to gospel? John Wesley was praised for his acts, and all he could do was rebuke them with saying was, "if you have not love, you are nothing." It's not about doing the gospel, it's about Christ living through you and growing your love for Him and others. Not about a guilt trip into a self-worshiping gospel.

I believe Christ would have the same message for these people that He had for the Pharisees. But again, I'm truly ignorant and know nothing. Maybe I am just odd, and no one else relates to me. But I truly find such teachings nearly damning, unless the point is to point them to Christ and put no stumbling block in their way. IDK I just find it really frustrates the gospel. Is the church corrupt? Sure. It's been corrupt since the beginning. It doesn't take much reading the Epistles to figure that out.

Upvote 0
R

Ron Wood

He seems to be preaching the same things those other books have. A literal interpretation of Christ's teachings. The purpose of all of Christ's teachings was to point us to Him and Him alone. It's similar to Christ saying to be born again, we CAN'T be born again so our sole reliance is on Christ. Not selling all our possessions and giving to the poor. This removes the emphasis on the work of Christ to the work of man. To show what I mean, who, out of all these preachers, has actually sold all they own and given to the poor? Who has actually fully denied themselves and picked up their cross? No one. Thus our reliance in all of these teachings is on Christ who saves.

I can't love Christ enough, I can't love man enough, I can't serve enough, I can't give enough, I can't ever attain what Christ told us to have, which is why my reliance is on Christ. These teachings just sound very works-based. "Unless you give up all you have you can't be saved." Okay, then I guess none of these teachers are saved either.

I believe, personally, you have to be very careful with teaching such messages because a new believer may say, "What? I have to do all this to be saved?" They will NEVER have assurance, and I know because I've personally struggled with this! Consider John Wesley, probably no man (as Spurgeon would say), fit more to be an apostle than John Wesley. Yet John Wesley lived the Gospel and never attained any assurance of his salvation, and only did when he relied on Christ.

Again, I truly believe all of Christ's teachings were to point to Him, not to man literally doing something. No one seeks after God, no one does good, no not one. If this is the case, how can you expect to as St. Francis would say, go from gospel to life, and life to gospel? John Wesley was praised for his acts, and all he could do was rebuke them with saying was, "if you have not love, you are nothing." It's not about doing the gospel, it's about Christ living through you and growing your love for Him and others. Not about a guilt trip into a self-worshiping gospel.

I believe Christ would have the same message for these people that He had for the Pharisees. But again, I'm truly ignorant and know nothing. Maybe I am just odd, and no one else relates to me. But I truly find such teachings nearly damning, unless the point is to point them to Christ and put no stumbling block in their way. IDK I just find it really frustrates the gospel. Is the church corrupt? Sure. It's been corrupt since the beginning. It doesn't take much reading the Epistles to figure that out.
I guess you and I can be odd together. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

So what you are suggesting is that we ignore his commands to go to the world and give his message, and instead sit at home and just keep saying "oh Jesus, we love you". I don't think that anyone will argue that we are not saved by works, but by faith. However, as James points out, our faith is worthless if there are not works that go with it. We can know all the right theology, say the sinners prayer, say we believe in God, etc...and we still will miss heaven. Having faith in Jesus as our Lord isn't a cop out from doing works. It is the foundation for those works. Without Christ, those deeds are just nice deeds, and nothing else. With Christ, those deeds are seeds being sown to the lost of the world. Are we to ignore all the commands of Jesus, so that we can live a comfortable life in our churches? Of course not, Matthew 25:31-46 makes it clear that people who do not feed the hungry, give to the poor, visit the sick and incarcerated, are really acting against God himself, and will be cast away.

So by all means have faith in Chris, but if it is a genuine faith then your love for Christ will compel you to make sacrifices to help others. Maybe its giving up all you have. Maybe its you giving up your membership to the fancy country club, and use the money to help someone. Who knows what it might be? If we have faith in Christ, then we will be following those two commandments that he gave to us...Love God with everything we have, and love others as we love ourselves.

Upvote 0

faceofbear

Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Texas
✟9,739.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So what you are suggesting is that we ignore his commands to go to the world and give his message, and instead sit at home and just keep saying "oh Jesus, we love you". I don't think that anyone will argue that we are not saved by works, but by faith. However, as James points out, our faith is worthless if there are not works that go with it. We can know all the right theology, say the sinners prayer, say we believe in God, etc...and we still will miss heaven. Having faith in Jesus as our Lord isn't a cop out from doing works. It is the foundation for those works. Without Christ, those deeds are just nice deeds, and nothing else. With Christ, those deeds are seeds being sown to the lost of the world. Are we to ignore all the commands of Jesus, so that we can live a comfortable life in our churches? Of course not, Matthew 25:31-46 makes it clear that people who do not feed the hungry, give to the poor, visit the sick and incarcerated, are really acting against God himself, and will be cast away.

So by all means have faith in Chris, but if it is a genuine faith then your love for Christ will compel you to make sacrifices to help others. Maybe its giving up all you have. Maybe its you giving up your membership to the fancy country club, and use the money to help someone. Who knows what it might be? If we have faith in Christ, then we will be following those two commandments that he gave to us...Love God with everything we have, and love others as we love ourselves.

I'm not stating we should ignore Christ's commands, but Christ's commands had a purpose of drawing people unto Himself. Not onto man performing worthless religious deeds. Christ spoke in parables and the majority of His teachings are not taken literally. Or if you wish to take it literally, when was the last time you've picked up a literal cross and followed Christ? When was the last time you literally ate of Christ's flesh and drank of Christ's blood? You have a computer, so I'm assuming you haven't sold all you have and given to the poor? When was the last time you were literally born again? When was the last time you literally became part of a branch? So are you a worthy Christian? A literal interpretation of Christ's teachings will get you no where, Christ leaves people empty with nothing but Him to rely on. He commands things impossible to keep to show that we are spiritually bankrupt. The epistles explain the theology behind Christ's teachings.

Not once has Paul told us to sell our possessions and give to the poor, not once has Paul told us to deny ourselves and pick up our cross. Should we be loving? Yes. But love doesn't come from a guilt trip. Nor does anyone ever, on Earth, love perfectly, and purely. And according to this standard, you must, or you're not genuinely saved. I agree that we should love others. But I do not agree that this automatically means we should be guilted into doing more.

Love is God's work in a human. Not a human doing a self-righteous work for God.

Upvote 0
R

Ron Wood

So what you are suggesting is that we ignore his commands to go to the world and give his message, and instead sit at home and just keep saying "oh Jesus, we love you".
Of course not. It is arrogant of you to even suggest such a thing. I can't speak for faceofbear but I do know that this religious world is always about things. Do this and don't do that. It is about outward acts instead of an inward principle. Its about driving goats to act like sheep instead of leading sheep who naturally follow the Shepherd. Religion focuses on if this thing is sin or that thing is sin. It always comes back to you and what you need to be doing or not doing. Its not just a subtle legalism but a false refuge. God's people don't need to be enticed, coerced or cajoled into acting like what they are they do so naturally. We don't need to spread a gospel of how we are to witness to the world by what we do but to proclaim the Gospel of the person and work of Christ. We are to point folks to faith in Him alone and not in things we do. All the religious works in the world can never give you true peace. Looking to Christ as all my righteousness, holiness and acceptence with God I am free to do what pleases Him without being told what to do. Modern religion is a show and is just as shallow as a show usually is. It has no root in Christ. It uses His name but knows nothing of His work for and in the sinner. Christ literally forbid putting on a show of religion and Paul tells us in Col.2 that it is will worship and satifying the flesh. I don't need for someone to write a book telling me how to satify my religious flesh with dead works. I can do that very well without it.
I don't think that anyone will argue that we are not saved by works, but by faith. However, as James points out, our faith is worthless if there are not works that go with it. We can know all the right theology, say the sinners prayer, say we believe in God, etc...and we still will miss heaven. Having faith in Jesus as our Lord isn't a cop out from doing works. It is the foundation for those works. Without Christ, those deeds are just nice deeds, and nothing else. With Christ, those deeds are seeds being sown to the lost of the world. Are we to ignore all the commands of Jesus, so that we can live a comfortable life in our churches? Of course not, Matthew 25:31-46 makes it clear that people who do not feed the hungry, give to the poor, visit the sick and incarcerated, are really acting against God himself, and will be cast away.
So you don't think that the Spirit is enough to lead us into those works which God has forordained that we should walk in them? So we need for men to tell us how to act and how to think and how to avoid sin and how to get a blessing from God? You don't believe that it is Christ that works in us to will and do of His good pleasure? Do you suppose that Christ will reward you for what you have done? The answer to all of those questions should be no but I fear that that in this religious world called "Christianity" it will not be.

Christ is all that God requires of me. But if you know Him you will follow Him and it ain't because youv'e been commanded to. Tell me, have you ever fulfilled those two commandments?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MichaelKelley

Sinner Saved By Grace
Jul 28, 2010
Eads, TN
Visit site
✟15,686.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

We are not just commanded in Matthew 28:18-20 to take the Gospel to all nations, but are created for that purpose and that purpose alone. 2 Corinthians 5:17 is a famous passage, stating that we are "a new creature, the old things passed away." However, if we are a new creation, what are we created for? Well, Paul goes on, and just a few verses later says, "we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were making an appeal through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God."

A Christian is not created to "get rich" or have a prosperous life in Christ, but a Christian is created with a NEW HEART (Ezekiel 36:26-27), and a desire to reach the world. If there is no desire to reach the world for Christ, their "'Christianity' leaves a lot to be desired," as the late Keith Green said.Jesus Commands Us To Go! (Keith Green)

Upvote 0

miamited

Ted
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2010
Seneca SC
✟705,807.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

Well, I haven't read the book, but I can tell you I'm going to bookmark the first youtube vid and recall it often. I try to start every day of my life with just such praises upon my lips. As a wicked stiff-necked man of the flesh I can attest that the fire can be quenched and we must regularly be reminded that our singular purpose for being created is to offer praises and glory to our Creator, God.

God bless you all.
In Christ, Ted

Upvote 0

hopeon

Apr 28, 2018
Greenville
✟20,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Has anyone read this book? What an awesome, eye-opener "Radical" is.

I'd like to hear some of your thoughts.

As for me, it sure makes me rethink the things that Christ said. I truly do believe that many in our culture have tried to re-shape Him into what they want Him to be rather than who He really is.

Anxious to hear from you all.

:thumbsup:
https://feasite.org/node/2597

Upvote 0

ml5363

Jan 6, 2016
Tennessee
✟28,267.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read this book recently..and she secondthe second as well...didn't care for the second.

It was very interesting...did make me want to do more for Christ... encouraged me to find creative ways to apply Christ in my everyday life, also makes me want to change careers so I can help folks...

I lent it to a family member...she hated it...guessing for the same reason my hubby didn't like it..said it was all about giving all you have and living in poverty ( which it doesn't) and we already do lol

Was refreshing

• Agree
Reactions: twin1954
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

....and to answer the previous poster's implication - David Platt has adopted two children. So in some regard and to some degree he does live out what he preaches. Probably more so than some others of us in that regard.

Upvote 0