Thoughts on my spiritual state?

TheLightShow

Feb 25, 2015
✟7,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys, I just joined the forum. I was looking for some second opinions on where I'm at with my faith. I'm 20, in my second year at FSU.

I was baptized in a Russian Orthodox church when I was an infant(my Dad is Russian, though my parents divorced when I was 2 and I was then raised by my Mom and grandparents). I had a good upbringing. My Mom and grandparents were strong Christians, especially my grandfather. I grew up going to the Sunday school at the local United Methodist church(a conservative one) and then went to the middle and high school youth groups throughout the years. I went through confirmation class in 8th grade and I asked my pastor if I should get baptized again but he said the one I got as an infant counts.

I was always regarded by my family and friends as a "good kid". I never got involved in anything over the top but I definitely struggled with sins. I played a lot of video games with ungodly content that I regret wasting so many years on. I was pretty addicted to touching yourself, inappropriate content, chat rooms, sexting, throughout middle and high school. That was my main struggle. It was all pretty behind the scenes. I also had issues with cussing frequently, mainly when with some friends. I was often selfish because I was an only-child and didn't treat family and friends as good as I should've.

Once I got to college, things were pretty lousy in some respects. I sat in my dorm and wasted time skipping class and playing video games or I'd be eating like garbage at the dining hall. I still went to a church group on campus(affiliated with Great Commission Churches, also tried the Methodist group on and off) but looking back, I was just a crappy, worldly "Christian". I would pray often and enjoy church group and made solid friendships and had good discussions and fellowship at the Bible studies but I just wasn't taking it to heart. I would do that stuff but still struggle with the lust issues previously mentioned(there were a few cases in college that were effectively online adultery), terrible video games and music too, cussing, gluttony, treating family and friends like crap sometimes, being spiteful to others, etc. It hadn't yet hit me that I truly deserved hell and needed Christ badly.

Freshman year came and went and then Summer came and went and then Fall 2014 semester came and went. Over this time, I was in mediocre health because of being overweight and inactive and(realize this in hindsight) I had a fear/panic attack disorder where I thought I was going to get heart trouble and die, which then led to a fear of hell(rightfully so). I was dealing with what I now recognize as OCD/scrupulosity. I often would get scared by fundamentalist websites or campus preachers who talked about video games and rock music sending people to hell or how most Christians are fake and are going to hell. In January, I decided to take somewhat of a plunge and detox myself from all the media I was a slave to. I tossed my games in the trash and sold my Xbox to a friend(something I regretted the next day, so I donated the money to my church, though I take some comfort in knowing he's Christian), I deleted 99% of music from my library, tossed out some books, etc, tossed out a TV series I enjoyed but was effectively not Christian(LOST), etc. I wasn't really into movies to begin with.

It honestly felt great to simplify my life. It was a real awakening. I looked back on my sins and realized I was living a lie and taking God's grace for granted at a disgusting level. It hit me that I truly deserved hell and the ONLY thing keeping me from it is Jesus. The whole "I'm a good person" mentality finally shattered. I dived more into my prayer life, taking a day at a time and seeing what God throws into my life, having an increased desire to do what God approves of and not what the world thinks, an increased desire to share the Gospel because it hit me that it's the one truly important thing in life and the most important thing anyone will ever hear, realizing that we're all(in the First World) distracted by useless media, etc. A bit of OCD paranoia kicked in and I had quite a "God and myself against the world" mentality. I even got very skeptical of modern churches(like that term "churchianity") and was afraid of all the false doctrine out there. I didn't know who to trust or believe. I believed in Christ, of course, but I wasn't sure if any book other than the Bible could be trusted, wasn't sure if every popular pastor was a false teacher, etc. I took somewhat of a red pill, but maybe to the point of nonsensical paranoia.

My struggle with sin lessened. The touching yourself was reduced from a daily struggle to a weekly or bi-weekly struggle until recently, when I've really been able to resist because it hit me that I was defiling the temple of the Holy Spirit. Though I still struggled on and off with lustful eyes when I'd walk around my college campus(like how the girls wear yoga pants and such). I'd hate that I would be tempted by that every single day. I would often wish that I could just push a button that turns off my capacity to sin and give God complete control, like almost take away my free will. A lot of the time my scrupulosity would kick in and I'd be afraid of being handed over to a reprobate mind. I felt guilty for liking girls because the line between me finding them pretty and lusting would often get blurred, probably from years of inappropriate content brainwashing.

Things got better with faith and then things went downhill for a bit. It was essentially because I actually started reading the Bible and then subsequently misunderstood blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. My OCD mind was almost looking for a way to prove to me that I was lost for sure and it seemed to have found its loophole. I went through a period of a week or two in early February where I would get awful OCD blasphemous thoughts and genuinely thought I was condemned and had my life ahead of me and then hell. It was the lowest point I've ever been in. I almost gave in to the lie of the enemy that I may as well give up the faith because I had already messed up anyway. But I prayed a lot to God, sometimes in great fear, and begged for His Spirit to stay with me. When I'd pray, I'd often get bad thoughts, thoughts I was lying to God and condemning myself more and more. My OCD would go insane. I'd just pray to God to take the evil out of me and fill me with His Spirit. I finally got over it and had the resolution that even if I was condemned, I'd still live a Godly live, pray, share the Gospel with others, etc. simply because it's the right thing to do and I wanted to save others even if I was screwed.

Things have gotten better in the past week and I've actually been more sure of my salvation, thanks to some encouragement from my church friends. Sometimes I get bad bursts of OCD blasphemous thoughts and I'm afraid that it's coming from me and I'm not truly saved but I just pray about it and keep straining ahead.

Now I'm just focused on maintaining an active prayer life, reading the whole Bible and being well-versed in it, being effective at sharing the Gospel(I'm going on a mission trip to UF over my Spring break) and avoiding sin. I'd like to pursue girls(only Christian) but I don't want to fall into lust and I know I'm not going to get married anytime soon so it's just not practical. I'm feeling pretty decent, I've definitely recovered from the valley I was in a few weeks ago. Though I often wonder if I should get baptized again or if it doesn't matter at this point?

Give some thoughts on the whole thing and any advice. Thanks!

JLR1300

Dec 16, 2012
Oklahoma
✟8,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dear Light Show...

The thing that will help you the most is understanding theology. I am coming from a straight Biblical viewpoint but I am sure that I have been influenced by Protestants.

Make sure you really understand the Gospel. If you do not you will always worry about Hell.

Here is the true biblical Gospel...

Christ, who is fully God and sinless, died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins. His death is fully sufficient to satisfy the wrath of God for our sins. His blood completely pays for our transgressions and obtains eternal life for us. He then rose from the dead the third day.

Salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone. Paul says that salvation is not by works. In Ephesians 2:8-9 He says that, "by GRACE you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it it the GIFT of God, not as a result of works, lest anyone should boast."

So we are saved by grace through faith. Not by any of our works or attempts at morality.

Now what is faith? What does it really mean to believe in Jesus for salvation?

Faith means to believe three things.

1. to believe that Jesus Christ is God. That He is the Divine Lord and Messiah.

2. to believe the gospel. That Jesus died for our sins and rose again and by doing that actually purchased salvation for us sinners.

3. to believe that Jesus' death wasn't just for others, but that it was for you personally.... and also you believe and trust that you are now automatically right with God and your sins are forgiven, not because of your works, but simply because Jesus obtained your salvation by dying for your sins.

Faith means to trust and believe that you personally are now forgiven of all sins and are guaranteed eternal life simply because of Jesus' death for our sins which was a satisfactory payment.

Peter summed up the meaning of faith beautifully In Acts 15:11. He says, "we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ"

That is what it means to trust in Christ. It means that you believe and trust that you are now saved, not by your works, but through the GRACE of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is not presumptuous to believe this because we are invited to do so. Rev. 22:17 says "whoever desires, let him take of the water of life FREELY."

Now it is true that when we trust in Christ and are saved the Holy Spirit enters into us and will begin leading us into a godly lifestyle. That is His job. After we have faith in Christ works will eventually follow. The Spirit will lead you into a life of good works and will help you to more and more resist sin. However, that is the result of salvation not the cause of it. Don't trust in your ability to be good enough for salvation. If you will trust in Jesus' blood to save you... you will have assurance. If you look to your works you will have doubt and fear.

Just remember this verse... Romans 4:5 "to the one who DOES NOT WORK, but BELIEVES on Him who justifies the UNGODLY, his faith is accounted as righteousness."

We are justified (seen as righteous) IN THE EYES OF GOD by having faith in Christ alone for salvation. At a later point we are justified IN THE EYES OF MEN by our works. Paul said that BEFORE GOD we are not justified by works but by faith. (Romans 4: 1-5) James said that BEFORE MEN we are justified (seen as righteous) by our works. James says "I will SHOW YOU my faith by my works."

So we are seen as righteous by God as soon as we trust Christ to save us. We are later seen as righteous by men by the works that the Holy Spirit leads us into.

So my message to you is this.... Trust in Christ but show your gratitude to Him for His gift of salvation by doing all that you can to serve Him faithfully. It is a difficult life in many ways and we will never be perfect....but be encouraged daily by His promises of eternal life.

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Light Show...

The thing that will help you the most is understanding theology. I am coming from a straight Biblical viewpoint but I am sure that I have been influenced by Protestants.

Make sure you really understand the Gospel. If you do not you will always worry about Hell.

Here is the true biblical Gospel...

Christ, who is fully God and sinless, died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins. His death is fully sufficient to satisfy the wrath of God for our sins. His blood completely pays for our transgressions and obtains eternal life for us. He then rose from the dead the third day.

Salvation is by faith alone in Christ alone. Paul says that salvation is not by works. In Ephesians 2:8-9 He says that, "by GRACE you are saved through faith, and that not of yourselves, it it the GIFT of God, not as a result of works, lest anyone should boast."

So we are saved by grace through faith. Not by any of our works or attempts at morality.

Now what is faith? What does it really mean to believe in Jesus for salvation?

Faith means to believe three things.

1. to believe that Jesus Christ is God. That He is the Divine Lord and Messiah.

2. to believe the gospel. That Jesus died for our sins and rose again and by doing that actually purchased salvation for us sinners.

3. to believe that Jesus' death wasn't just for others, but that it was for you personally.... and also you believe and trust that you are now automatically right with God and your sins are forgiven, not because of your works, but simply because Jesus obtained your salvation by dying for your sins.

Faith means to trust and believe that you personally are now forgiven of all sins and are guaranteed eternal life simply because of Jesus' death for our sins which was a satisfactory payment.

Peter summed up the meaning of faith beautifully In Acts 15:11. He says, "we believe that we are saved through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ"

That is what it means to trust in Christ. It means that you believe and trust that you are now saved, not by your works, but through the GRACE of the Lord Jesus Christ.

It is not presumptuous to believe this because we are invited to do so. Rev. 22:17 says "whoever desires, let him take of the water of life FREELY."

Now it is true that when we trust in Christ and are saved the Holy Spirit enters into us and will begin leading us into a godly lifestyle. That is His job. After we have faith in Christ works will eventually follow. The Spirit will lead you into a life of good works and will help you to more and more resist sin. However, that is the result of salvation not the cause of it. Don't trust in your ability to be good enough for salvation. If you will trust in Jesus' blood to save you... you will have assurance. If you look to your works you will have doubt and fear.

Just remember this verse... Romans 4:5 "to the one who DOES NOT WORK, but BELIEVES on Him who justifies the UNGODLY, his faith is accounted as righteousness."

We are justified (seen as righteous) IN THE EYES OF GOD by having faith in Christ alone for salvation. At a later point we are justified IN THE EYES OF MEN by our works. Paul said that BEFORE GOD we are not justified by works but by faith. (Romans 4: 1-5) James said that BEFORE MEN we are justified (seen as righteous) by our works. James says "I will SHOW YOU my faith by my works."

So we are seen as righteous by God as soon as we trust Christ to save us. We are later seen as righteous by men by the works that the Holy Spirit leads us into.

So my message to you is this.... Trust in Christ but show your gratitude to Him for His gift of salvation by doing all that you can to serve Him faithfully. It is a difficult life in many ways and we will never be perfect....but be encouraged daily by His promises of eternal life.

I Logged-In just to say:

God Bless and Amen Brother...

Could not have said it better myself...:amen::clap::thumbsup:

-The Current Lowest Servant

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One can be sure of eternal salvation and eternal life in Heaven when that one has received the Lord Jesus into the heart; and is in communion with Him as Lord of one's life and best Friend. The Lord Jesus must be in the heart and not just in the mind --see 1 Jn. 5:10-12. Reading the Gospel by John 14 will help much, then speaking to the Lord and surrendering self-will can settle the matter by faith and trust.

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm kind of in a similar situation to you. Growing up I thought I was a "good girl", but in truth I was an overly self righteous hypocrite. Now I struggle with thinking I'm going to hell, after realizing that I'm not overly self righteous, but also a slimy coward. Even after realizing what I am, I haven't done anything to help anyone or spread the word. I'm too scared to even drive a car. I'm just so afraid of dying and going to hell like you were. I want to believe in the grace message, that you just trust in Jesus to save you, and that's all you really can do, but then I wonder. I can't bring myself to do anything, barely even homework. From my perspective you are doing better in your walk than I am. congratulations on going on a missions trip. But you're right, no one but God is good.

Upvote 0

TheLightShow

Feb 25, 2015
✟7,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
^^^Hmm, yeah, I was in a similar state when I thought I was condemned where I just felt depressed and I pretty much just laid around my dorm and couldn't function.

Definitely pray a lot to God and cry out for deliverance from your state, ask Him to strengthen you with His Spirit and I think the above posts make the correct Scriptural case for why you should be sure of God's grace, as I'm more sure of now. I'll pray for you!

Upvote 0

orangeness365

Feb 4, 2013
✟6,329.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
^^^Hmm, yeah, I was in a similar state when I thought I was condemned where I just felt depressed and I pretty much just laid around my dorm and couldn't function.

Definitely pray a lot to God and cry out for deliverance from your state, ask Him to strengthen you with His Spirit and I think the above posts make the correct Scriptural case for why you should be sure of God's grace, as I'm more sure of now. I'll pray for you!

Thank you

Upvote 0

bigo1984

Nov 2, 2014
✟9,268.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm kind of in a similar situation to you. Growing up I thought I was a "good girl", but in truth I was an overly self righteous hypocrite. Now I struggle with thinking I'm going to hell, after realizing that I'm not overly self righteous, but also a slimy coward. Even after realizing what I am, I haven't done anything to help anyone or spread the word. I'm too scared to even drive a car. I'm just so afraid of dying and going to hell like you were. I want to believe in the grace message, that you just trust in Jesus to save you, and that's all you really can do, but then I wonder. I can't bring myself to do anything, barely even homework. From my perspective you are doing better in your walk than I am. congratulations on going on a missions trip. But you're right, no one but God is good.

I've been where you are. Now remember there is no condemnation in Christ. Jesus Loves you and he will wash you clean as snow. You have to forgive yourself and come to god with a humble heart.

Upvote 0

joshuanazar

Servant
Mar 29, 2015
In Christ
✟8,815.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Dude it pretty much sounds like some ignorant preachers dumped a lot of "Law" on you and you had a hard time feeling justified because you thought it was about achieving something. The truth is that is all about God's grace.

I posted some stuff on repentance in a thread called "Did salvation take out replace righteousness" that might help you understand sin according to grace. Check it out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,497.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Hey guys, I just joined the forum. I was looking for some second opinions on where I'm at with my faith. I'm 20, in my second year at FSU.

I was baptized in a Russian Orthodox church when I was an infant(my Dad is Russian, though my parents divorced when I was 2 and I was then raised by my Mom and grandparents). I had a good upbringing. My Mom and grandparents were strong Christians, especially my grandfather. I grew up going to the Sunday school at the local United Methodist church(a conservative one) and then went to the middle and high school youth groups throughout the years. I went through confirmation class in 8th grade and I asked my pastor if I should get baptized again but he said the one I got as an infant counts.

I was always regarded by my family and friends as a "good kid". I never got involved in anything over the top but I definitely struggled with sins. I played a lot of video games with ungodly content that I regret wasting so many years on. I was pretty addicted to touching yourself, inappropriate content, chat rooms, sexting, throughout middle and high school. That was my main struggle. It was all pretty behind the scenes. I also had issues with cussing frequently, mainly when with some friends. I was often selfish because I was an only-child and didn't treat family and friends as good as I should've.

Once I got to college, things were pretty lousy in some respects. I sat in my dorm and wasted time skipping class and playing video games or I'd be eating like garbage at the dining hall. I still went to a church group on campus(affiliated with Great Commission Churches, also tried the Methodist group on and off) but looking back, I was just a crappy, worldly "Christian". I would pray often and enjoy church group and made solid friendships and had good discussions and fellowship at the Bible studies but I just wasn't taking it to heart. I would do that stuff but still struggle with the lust issues previously mentioned(there were a few cases in college that were effectively online adultery), terrible video games and music too, cussing, gluttony, treating family and friends like crap sometimes, being spiteful to others, etc. It hadn't yet hit me that I truly deserved hell and needed Christ badly.

Freshman year came and went and then Summer came and went and then Fall 2014 semester came and went. Over this time, I was in mediocre health because of being overweight and inactive and(realize this in hindsight) I had a fear/panic attack disorder where I thought I was going to get heart trouble and die, which then led to a fear of hell(rightfully so). I was dealing with what I now recognize as OCD/scrupulosity. I often would get scared by fundamentalist websites or campus preachers who talked about video games and rock music sending people to hell or how most Christians are fake and are going to hell. In January, I decided to take somewhat of a plunge and detox myself from all the media I was a slave to. I tossed my games in the trash and sold my Xbox to a friend(something I regretted the next day, so I donated the money to my church, though I take some comfort in knowing he's Christian), I deleted 99% of music from my library, tossed out some books, etc, tossed out a TV series I enjoyed but was effectively not Christian(LOST), etc. I wasn't really into movies to begin with.

It honestly felt great to simplify my life. It was a real awakening. I looked back on my sins and realized I was living a lie and taking God's grace for granted at a disgusting level. It hit me that I truly deserved hell and the ONLY thing keeping me from it is Jesus. The whole "I'm a good person" mentality finally shattered. I dived more into my prayer life, taking a day at a time and seeing what God throws into my life, having an increased desire to do what God approves of and not what the world thinks, an increased desire to share the Gospel because it hit me that it's the one truly important thing in life and the most important thing anyone will ever hear, realizing that we're all(in the First World) distracted by useless media, etc. A bit of OCD paranoia kicked in and I had quite a "God and myself against the world" mentality. I even got very skeptical of modern churches(like that term "churchianity") and was afraid of all the false doctrine out there. I didn't know who to trust or believe. I believed in Christ, of course, but I wasn't sure if any book other than the Bible could be trusted, wasn't sure if every popular pastor was a false teacher, etc. I took somewhat of a red pill, but maybe to the point of nonsensical paranoia.

My struggle with sin lessened. The touching yourself was reduced from a daily struggle to a weekly or bi-weekly struggle until recently, when I've really been able to resist because it hit me that I was defiling the temple of the Holy Spirit. Though I still struggled on and off with lustful eyes when I'd walk around my college campus(like how the girls wear yoga pants and such). I'd hate that I would be tempted by that every single day. I would often wish that I could just push a button that turns off my capacity to sin and give God complete control, like almost take away my free will. A lot of the time my scrupulosity would kick in and I'd be afraid of being handed over to a reprobate mind. I felt guilty for liking girls because the line between me finding them pretty and lusting would often get blurred, probably from years of inappropriate content brainwashing.

Things got better with faith and then things went downhill for a bit. It was essentially because I actually started reading the Bible and then subsequently misunderstood blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. My OCD mind was almost looking for a way to prove to me that I was lost for sure and it seemed to have found its loophole. I went through a period of a week or two in early February where I would get awful OCD blasphemous thoughts and genuinely thought I was condemned and had my life ahead of me and then hell. It was the lowest point I've ever been in. I almost gave in to the lie of the enemy that I may as well give up the faith because I had already messed up anyway. But I prayed a lot to God, sometimes in great fear, and begged for His Spirit to stay with me. When I'd pray, I'd often get bad thoughts, thoughts I was lying to God and condemning myself more and more. My OCD would go insane. I'd just pray to God to take the evil out of me and fill me with His Spirit. I finally got over it and had the resolution that even if I was condemned, I'd still live a Godly live, pray, share the Gospel with others, etc. simply because it's the right thing to do and I wanted to save others even if I was screwed.

Things have gotten better in the past week and I've actually been more sure of my salvation, thanks to some encouragement from my church friends. Sometimes I get bad bursts of OCD blasphemous thoughts and I'm afraid that it's coming from me and I'm not truly saved but I just pray about it and keep straining ahead.

Now I'm just focused on maintaining an active prayer life, reading the whole Bible and being well-versed in it, being effective at sharing the Gospel(I'm going on a mission trip to UF over my Spring break) and avoiding sin. I'd like to pursue girls(only Christian) but I don't want to fall into lust and I know I'm not going to get married anytime soon so it's just not practical. I'm feeling pretty decent, I've definitely recovered from the valley I was in a few weeks ago. Though I often wonder if I should get baptized again or if it doesn't matter at this point?

Give some thoughts on the whole thing and any advice. Thanks!

Sounds like your in the right place (right where God want's you to be)...

It's funny how when we truly begin turning to Christ, how all our desires and interests and things we are entertained by, "change" when we turn to Christ...

I used to play a lot of video games from the time I was six years old into my early twenties, when I hit my mid-twenties to beginning thirty's, is when I think Jesus Christ came into my life and everything changed, not overnight, but step by step, I lost interest in Video Games, Most modern day T.V. and movies and music, I try to stick to Christian things now (for the most part)...

I used to think there was nothing wrong with it (Just like the rest of the world) and used to let my own kid watch things like South Park and Family Guy, expose them to violent video games at a young age, now those things scare the hell out of me...

I became sin sensitive, instead of having no feelings or opinions on it at all, I used to think there was nothing wrong with it, but I was wrong...

I was watching a movie with my roommate and his three and eight year old girls and he was also watching someone else's little boy, about five, and I decided to be social and sit with them, well in the movie scene a navy seal or green beret was slitting some guys throat, and the movie showed it in graphic detail, the knife cutting through the flesh of his throat and blood gushing everywhere, I was bothered, and I felt my heart skip a beat and thought I was going to have a heart attack, I had to leave the room, the younger boy seemed "enthralled" by it which bothered me even more...

So, I became sin sensitive, instead of sin numb, or sin desensitization, which is where the world is trying to lead us, but Christ'a pull, produces a change in desire in and a sensitivity to what's wrong, I get chest pains, when I sense "something is wrong here" about a particular situation..

But we can hardly hate what we once were, nor judge others timing when Jesus comes to change someone in this life...

The part about being baptized I think you should re-think though, if you wish to rededicate yourself to Christ, Baptism is a public declaration from repentance from sin, (or at the very least a public declaration of a "change" Christ has produced in you and you are now declaring that change to the congregation) and it is a decision that can only be made by an adult, Just think about it, OK?

God Bless!

Upvote 0