Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm not sure how many Americans are aware of this but since Trump's election (most pointedly since his ban), the number of asylum seekers that are crossing at undesignated spots over the border from the US into Canada is growing.

I'm wondering: Is there anyone here who finds it somewhat embarrassing that there are people in America who feel they need to seek asylum in Canada? I know for me that if the situation was reversed, I would be embarrassed, but that is totally just me.

I mean, I hear America is very free, but how can it be that these people feel so threatened that they are taking some significant chances with their health and safety to arrive in Canada as they do.

UN refugee agency closely monitors asylum seekers crossing Canada-U.S. border | Toronto Star

Fleeing north: Why asylum seekers are crossing the U.S.-Canada border

I'm guessing more than a few people here will probably be glad that they are leaving. I'm just curious about your first reactions to the idea.

Moral Orel

Proud Citizen of Moralton
Site Supporter
May 22, 2015
✟476,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Build another wall.
Exactly! We need a wall on the Canada/USA border... because that's where the cold air comes from! (Lewis Black paraphrase)

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Exactly! We need a wall on the Canada/USA border... because that's where the cold air comes from! (Lewis Black paraphrase)
And then you just need to wall of the atlantic and pacific ocean and noone can hurt you ever again.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So, if I am understanding this correctly, asylum seekers = illegal aliens? If so, why would I be embarrassed by it and how does that make the country less free because illegals are worried about being deported?

FYI Trump is simply fastracking those who have committed crimes or those who have been caught and have been here for only a few years. Now, that is not well known because of the media fear - mongering, but that is another subject altogether.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Ah, so they're just freaking out because of the media, gotcha.
Yes. Because of the media.
NOT because of the president's inflamatory language during his campaign that was supported by plenty of Americans. And who was then voted in despite being less popular.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
NOT because of the president's inflamatory language during his campaign that was supported by plenty of Americans.

So, you don't think that had the media reported on it fairly and accurately, comparing it, to the bans Obama and Bush did previously, that they wouldn't have freaked out?

And who was then voted in despite being less popular.

What does that have to do with anything?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure how many Americans are aware of this but since Trump's election (most pointedly since his ban), the number of asylum seekers that are crossing at undesignated spots over the border from the US into Canada is growing.

I'm wondering: Is there anyone here who finds it somewhat embarrassing that there are people in America who feel they need to seek asylum in Canada? I know for me that if the situation was reversed, I would be embarrassed, but that is totally just me.

I mean, I hear America is very free, but how can it be that these people feel so threatened that they are taking some significant chances with their health and safety to arrive in Canada as they do.

UN refugee agency closely monitors asylum seekers crossing Canada-U.S. border | Toronto Star

I'm guessing more than a few people here will probably be glad that they are leaving. I'm just curious about your first reactions to the idea.

Build a wall.

Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well, if they are indeed legal? There is a load of hype about 'what will happen to them', because people pretend they don't know the difference between legal immigration, and an illegal alien.

It seems to me it would be the decent thing to do for the media - since we know it's all Trump's fault - to educate them on the difference.

NOT because of the president's inflamatory language during his campaign that was supported by plenty of Americans.

(shrugs) Just because people don't care to listen to the clarifications that have been issued numerous times, and it seems the media did a lousy job reporting that...I would tend to view - once again - the media not doing their job. The people have the right to know!

I agree he did make some stupid remarks that needed to be clarified later. I suppose since he didn't use the phrase - what I really meant by that - like other politicians do when they misspeak? That could be the reason the media isn't getting the clue. I mean they aren't throwing out the keywords needed I guess.

People that are here legally have nothing to worry about, unless they are criminal that haven't finished the process. It' the media's responsibility to report on that, because the WH has reported on that many times. I would hold them responsible for people getting scared, because the information is out there.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
(shrugs) Just because people don't care to listen to the clarifications that have been issued numerous times, and it seems the media did a lousy job reporting that...I would tend to view - once again - the media not doing their job. The people have the right to know!
At my work yesterday, one of the teen boys said he was going to rape one of the girls there (I work in a youth treatment centre).
He clarified to staff "that he was joking".
So how should we as a staffing group proceed from there?
Should we now just assume that the girl is 100% safe because he said he was just joking?

Sometimes, when a threat is made against you, especially if it is ROUNDLY supported by so many other people (so, had a bunch of other boys also piped up and said "Yeah! You should totally rape her!"), there is not much that can be said that can take that fear away.

It's not the presses job to clarify the presidents or a candidates words. It's the president or candidate's job to use the right bloody language in the FIRST place; at least when it comes to threatening someone's safety and stability.

though perhaps that's only my opinion

• Winner
Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

The reality is that many Americans have left the States long before Trump, or Obama.

A lot of "Americans" have expatriate simply because they are treated better overseas in terms of healthcare, salary, and benifits. I taught math overseas, and was treated famously. The rest of the world is willing to attract as much Western talent as they can with shiny incentives.

So, on a purely economical standpoint, expatriating from the US can be, and usually is a wonderful thing - If not only for the very fact that EMPLOYMENT is available!

If you are in any of the underrepresented groups that feel direct threat from Trump and His policies (woman, black, latino, gay, muslim, etc.,) then expatriating seems prudent. This is especially true considering those groups aren't even treated well by their fellow citizens.

Why take the abuse, derision and oppression of being a hyphenated American, when you can receive the same abuse, but receive healthcare, paid vacation, decent salary and other benefits of EMPLOYMENT? There's nothing embarrassing about knowing your surroundings, and changing them to protect yourself, or your family.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At my work yesterday, one of the teen boys said he was going to rape one of the girls there (I work in a youth treatment centre).
He clarified to staff "that he was joking".
So how should we as a staffing group proceed from there?
Should we now just assume that the girl is 100% safe because he said he was just joking?

I would use some common sense. That's a pretty silly example. It also hardly compares to the subject at hand.

We have laws that protect legal immigrants, and those that are here in other fashions legally. If people want to pretend that there isn't any processes, laws, etc that they have follow? You can pretend away. Again the media isn't going a good job letting them know, and other organizations aren't either. Why? They know darn well there is.

I think it is outrageous that they don't do their jobs, and allow people to be terrified like that KNOWING they have legal protections. It's irresponsible of them. I think they are doing it for political reasons, and using these poor people for those purposes. Shame on them!

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟366,121.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I would use some common sense. That's a pretty silly example. It also hardly compares to the subject at hand.
I disagree. People's safety was threatenned by NOTHING MORE than words; a direct threat to their safety/security/stability.
We have laws that protect legal immigrants, and those that are here in other fashions legally. If people want to pretend that there isn't any processes, laws, etc that they have follow? You can pretend away. Again the media isn't going a good job letting them know, and other organizations aren't either. Why? They know darn well there is.
Why should the media report things that are counter to what their president is saying, regardless of the legal systems in place?

I think it is outrageous that they don't do their jobs, and allow people to be terrified like that KNOWING they have legal protections. It's irresponsible of them. I think they are doing it for political reasons, and using these poor people for those purposes. Shame on them!
Ok. Hold on. These same refugees were able to WITNESS the court system work to strike down the travel ban. THAT was splashed ALL OVER the news. So enough of the "they aren't reporting nonsense".

I would posit that most Westerners simply don't quite understand the feeling of that level of threat. Keep in mind that if these people were refugees or from unsafe zones, they don't process threats in the same way as people whose largest problem is slow WIFI.

Upvote 0