God is good

Oct 4, 2016
Michigan
✟201,885.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How harmful to the soul is it to think constant thoughts of egoism, such as receiving credit, recognition, praise, compliments, etc?

I am afraid that I have indulged in this far too much and may be addicted to this thought pattern.
I have the same type of thoughts my friend and I know I should not because I am a sinner and I need Jesus just as much as everybody else. When somebody tells me I am a good person or compliments me, I try to give the glory to Jesus and God but sometimes I don't and I need to always give Jesus the credit because He makes me who I am. Jesus is my personal Lord and Savior and I love Him very much. God bless you and Jesus is Lord. If you ever want to talk you can message me.

Reactions: royal priest
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,466,215.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How harmful to the soul is it to think constant thoughts of egoism, such as receiving credit, recognition, praise, compliments, etc?

I am afraid that I have indulged in this far too much and may be addicted to this thought pattern.

it's certainly not good to dwell on such thoughts.

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private

What you describe is properly called vainglory and the question you need to ask is how to get rid of it...

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

what is important I think is to have an accurate assessment of whether the praise is merited or not. We are to give glory to God in all that we think and all that we say and all that we do. If we work hard at our jobs and our lives in general, and receive recognition for it, proper assessment is to try to discern whether that job well done is for the glory of God or not. If it is a job well done, than recognize that the compliments that you receive are the Lord's.
If the complements come from puffing yourself up in the absence of a job well done, solely for the pleasure of having people think highly of you, that is egoism, and there is no glory to God in that.

Work hard to bring glory to God in your thoughts and acts and deeds, and if you do well, and you receive praise, you are being praised for doing God's work.
Even our frailties can be great blessings, once we acknowledge them and allow God to spin gold out of the straw of our lives.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

Are you still without access to a priest, as I remember?

Upvote 0

Abel Gkiouzelis

The Smile of God in your heart
Feb 25, 2016
Greece
Visit site
✟30,904.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Celibate

Don't worry my friend, with prayer and with frequent Holy Confession to your Spititual Father will stop it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums