• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Thoughtful Quotes About Mental Illness

waves

not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Below are a few quotes about the experience of having mental illness

No one would ever say that someone with a broken arm or a broken leg is less than a whole person, but people say that or imply that all the time about people with mental illness.

Elyn R. Saks

Once you're labeled as mentally ill, and that's in your medical notes, then anything you say can be discounted as an artifact of your mental illness.

Hilary Mantel

Stigma against mental illness is a scourge with many faces, and the medical community wears a number of those faces.

Elyn R. Saks

Reactions: Llleopard

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Have you talked with the people in your church who do or have suffered with mental illness?

Does your church recognise it exists among Christians and that there are far more methods of treatment apart from prayer?

Having identified those mother's still suffering from post natal depression, those parents with children with learning difficulties and others in the congragation suffering from various mental illnesses, talk to the minister about forming a support group, where they can talk about there problems, what has helped them and to recognise they are not alone.
This is not a place to pray for healing. It is for support and encouragement.
Pray can of course be requested, not imposed upon.

Upvote 0

waves

not so new
Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
✟94,770.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have not been to church for years. I called a church elder and explained a little of bit of my understanding of what was going on. She called the pastor, I spoke to the pastor explained what I could remember at the time. Then some time after my pastor got cancer and died, and the church elder I told also died of cancer. This is when I realized that there was something more going on in my life. As a result I did not feel comfortable talking to anybody in church.

Additionally I can't trust anyone in church. This became apparent when one of the persons in church began insinuating something about me. He made disturbing comments to me in front of persons. Another member of the church began making comments making me uncomfortable, and as a result I felt uncomfortable at church.

I can't trust anybody.

Many church persons are also quick to quarrel with me if I say anything they do not believe or agree with. So I am facing opposition from all sides.

I do not fit in anywhere.

Upvote 0