England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Another week has passed! The days go by so quickly. Help us to make every day count for You,O LORD. May today be especially blessed as we celebrate Your goodness and love in our church relay services. We are privileged to be able to join with so many in this way. Draw near to the tired and lonely. Help them to come to you and give them rest.

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The LORD'S grace is all sufficient! There is nothing like it! His grace enables us to overcome. There are many things that we cannot do just on our own,but when God is with us,strengthening and enabling us we are equipped to every good work!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
My Son in Law's father died yesterday night with cancer. We thank God that 'the ,steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord and he delights in his way'.. Our loved one is in the arms of the Lord. No more,sorrow,no more pain,no more tears there. Our prayers are with his wife and family. May the LORD comfort and strengthen them. Amen!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
We are so blessed to have 'loved ones' around us and it is painful when they are suddenly taken away,but as Christians we believe in the 'afterlife',for those whose trust is in the Lord Jesus Christ,as Saviour and Lord!. Although we suffer grief we believe our God is faithful and that our loved ones are in his love and care. This makes all the difference
We can experience 'grief',because of the parting and yet 'rejoice' in the homecalling of a believer! God is with us!

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Ephesians 6:10 KJV
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.

onward Christian soldiers
What a joy to fellowship with you again,'lilmissmontana!'

Upvote 0

lilmissmontana

singing my hallelujah song
Feb 22, 2005
the wings of a snow white dove
✟153,558.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
What a joy to fellowship with you again,'lilmissmontana!'

it's a joy to be here, quietbloke ... felt pulled for a couple weeks ... when i logged in was sad to hear you were having health issues ... felt maybe that was the reason i felt pulled ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
What a joy to share here with old and new friends today, What a joy to sing His praises together. He is our God and we are His people! Let praises ring to our Wonderful LORD!

Upvote 0

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟776,245.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
The Kindness of Strangers

France is a beautiful country. I have been there on a number of occasions, by air, by sea and by rail. Back in the late 1990's, I lived there for a while as part of my university course. I studied French, and learned to speak it, but back in those days, I was not very confident in speaking it. Arriving in a different country, in unfamiliar surroundings, where I struggled to speak the language, I felt very much like an alien, a stranger, in a far off place. I was constantly apprehensive, of being judged, misunderstood, of not fitting in, and perhaps more importantly, of feeling alone.

Upon arriving in France, I unpacked my suitcase, and one of the first things I found was a card with a phone number and address, just in case I needed help or advice during my stay. It was given to me by a friend back home, who had relatives in the city in which I was staying. By my second or third day, my curiosity got the better of me. Who were these people? I had never seen them before. They had never met me, and I had never met them! But I had to find out.

I took the address card with me and remember arriving at the apartment block, taking the lift, and arriving at the front door. I nervously rang the doorbell, wondering what to expect. What would they think of me when they saw me? I could hardly speak their language, they did not know me and had never met me before.

The door opened and I was greeted by smiling and welcoming faces. Not just one, but the entire family. The first words I heard from them was my very own name. It became clear to me that not only were they expecting me to visit, but they were absolutely thrilled that I did. I was immediately taken to a table, made comfortable, and refreshments served. I could hardly understand what they were saying, but their faces said it all. I was welcome. Not just as a wayfaring stranger, but it was almost as if they accepted me as part of their family. In the weeks and months that followed, I received telephone calls from them at my hall of residence ensuring that I was well, and I got many invites for evening meals.

Many of my neighbours in my hall of residence had a Muslim faith. and I will always remember them for their kindness and hospitality, especially when I had come down with the flu and had been feeling very weak and unwell. My next door neighbour would check on me regularly and make sure that I was alright. I would always be invited round for coffee and refreshments. Others would welcome me to their rooms where I was pampered and spoiled with food, drink and friendly companionship.

I was introduced to the University Chaplain, a Catholic, who was very humble and very peaceful. He did not say very much, but he always listened, and very intently. I was invited to come along to the services where I met people from the university. They invited me to spend time with them, drinking coffee at their homes. I got many invites to travel home with them and meet their families.

I remember visiting a pentecostal church, where I was made to feel very welcome by a family that regularly attended. Immediately after the service, I was taken out for lunch. On a regular basis, I received phone calls from them, ensuring that I was OK, and inviting to pick me up by car and take me to various events.

One day, when the weather was cold, and temperatures had plummeted to below freezing, I was walking along the main street and clumsily dropped my money on the ground. As I crawled around to try and pick it up, an elderly lady stopped by and, thinking that I was a beggar, she wanted to help. She was the kindest and most sweetest soul you could ever meet, but I can remember her embarrassment and apologetic look when I told her that I was not begging!

Perhaps my most astonishing and baffling memory of living in France was visiting the local Christian bookshop. One of the staff approached me and welcomed me by my name. How on earth did he hear about me and know about me? I had visited the bookshop a good number of times, but I never spoke about myself or introduced myself. As far as I was concerned, I was completely anonymous - a total stranger! He told me that he had heard all about me from a contact he knew in England. He knew I was staying in France, seemed keen to know whether I had settled in and was doing well.

My time in France is a distant memory. But it has reminded me that God is faithful to us and always meets us, someway and somehow, wherever we are.

"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go" (Genesis 28:15).

Upvote 0

quietbloke

Brother in Christ
Site Supporter
Jun 30, 2006
England
✟807,383.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
The Kindness of Strangers

France is a beautiful country. I have been there on a number of occasions, by air, by sea and by rail. Back in the late 1990's, I lived there for a while as part of my university course. I studied French, and learned to speak it, but back in those days, I was not very confident in speaking it. Arriving in a different country, in unfamiliar surroundings, where I struggled to speak the language, I felt very much like an alien, a stranger, in a far off place. I was constantly apprehensive, of being judged, misunderstood, of not fitting in, and perhaps more importantly, of feeling alone.

Upon arriving in France, I unpacked my suitcase, and one of the first things I found was a card with a phone number and address, just in case I needed help or advice during my stay. It was given to me by a friend back home, who had relatives in the city in which I was staying. By my second or third day, my curiosity got the better of me. Who were these people? I had never seen them before. They had never met me, and I had never met them! But I had to find out.

I took the address card with me and remember arriving at the apartment block, taking the lift, and arriving at the front door. I nervously rang the doorbell, wondering what to expect. What would they think of me when they saw me? I could hardly speak their language, they did not know me and had never met me before.

The door opened and I was greeted by smiling and welcoming faces. Not just one, but the entire family. The first words I heard from them was my very own name. It became clear to me that not only were they expecting me to visit, but they were absolutely thrilled that I did. I was immediately taken to a table, made comfortable, and refreshments served. I could hardly understand what they were saying, but their faces said it all. I was welcome. Not just as a wayfaring stranger, but it was almost as if they accepted me as part of their family. In the weeks and months that followed, I received telephone calls from them at my hall of residence ensuring that I was well, and I got many invites for evening meals.

Many of my neighbours in my hall of residence had a Muslim faith. and I will always remember them for their kindness and hospitality, especially when I had come down with the flu and had been feeling very weak and unwell. My next door neighbour would check on me regularly and make sure that I was alright. I would always be invited round for coffee and refreshments. Others would welcome me to their rooms where I was pampered and spoiled with food, drink and friendly companionship.

I was introduced to the University Chaplain, a Catholic, who was very humble and very peaceful. He did not say very much, but he always listened, and very intently. I was invited to come along to the services where I met people from the university. They invited me to spend time with them, drinking coffee at their homes. I got many invites to travel home with them and meet their families.

I remember visiting a pentecostal church, where I was made to feel very welcome by a family that regularly attended. Immediately after the service, I was taken out for lunch. On a regular basis, I received phone calls from them, ensuring that I was OK, and inviting to pick me up by car and take me to various events.

One day, when the weather was cold, and temperatures had plummeted to below freezing, I was walking along the main street and clumsily dropped my money on the ground. As I crawled around to try and pick it up, an elderly lady stopped by and, thinking that I was a beggar, she wanted to help. She was the kindest and most sweetest soul you could ever meet, but I can remember her embarrassment and apologetic look when I told her that I was not begging!

Perhaps my most astonishing and baffling memory of living in France was visiting the local Christian bookshop. One of the staff approached me and welcomed me by my name. How on earth did he hear about me and know about me? I had visited the bookshop a good number of times, but I never spoke about myself or introduced myself. As far as I was concerned, I was completely anonymous - a total stranger! He told me that he had heard all about me from a contact he knew in England. He knew I was staying in France, seemed keen to know whether I had settled in and was doing well.

My time in France is a distant memory. But it has reminded me that God is faithful to us and always meets us, someway and somehow, wherever we are.

"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go" (Genesis 28:15).
What a wonderful thought for the day. Thank you 'Anthony!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.