Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
For Freedom
Galatians 5:1, 13-15 ESV

“For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery."

“For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole law is fulfilled in one word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” But if you bite and devour one another, watch out that you are not consumed by one another.”

Freedom in Christ Jesus, our Lord, is not freedom to continue in willful and habitual sin against God. Jesus didn’t die on that cross one day many years ago just to deliver us from the punishment of sin, but he died to deliver us from our slavery to sin, and to empower us to live godly and holy lives while we wait for his return (Tit. 2:11-14; Eph. 4:17-24; Rom. 6:1-23).

When we continue in sinful practices, if that is what we do, not only are we sinning against God, but we are sinning against others, either directly or indirectly. For, how we live our lives day in and day out does impact other people for good or for evil, whether we are willing to acknowledge that or not.

Love is thus not conducive to sinful lifestyles, for living in sin is by nature of the flesh, and it is selfish, and it is self-gratifying, and often it is bent on sin no matter who gets hurt in the process. That is the power of addiction. So, we can’t love others and be addicted to sin at the same time.

So, instead of living to please our flesh, we need to put on God’s love, and love one another as God loves us and gave his life up for our freedom from slavery to sin.

By the Spirit
Galatians 5:16-17 ESV

“But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. For the desires of the flesh are against the Spirit, and the desires of the Spirit are against the flesh, for these are opposed to each other, to keep you from doing the things you want to do.”

I hear so many people talk about how they continually “struggle” with (consistently give in to) sinful habits, as though Jesus didn’t already die to set them free. It is almost as though it is a badge that they wear.

And, today’s modern church facilitates the continuance of such consistent struggles with sinful practices, for it coddles them in their sin. And, it treats sin like a sickness that has no cure. And, it accepts lame excuses for continued and willful and even premeditated sinful practices which cause much harm to others, which go on sometimes for people’s lifetimes.

And, some churches even provide groups where these addicts can gather together to talk about how they fail continually, but not many of them actually counsel the addicts in how to be fully free from their chains. And, some of these groups actually discourage Bibles and reading scriptures and helping others to freedom in Christ, for they don’t want to offend anyone.

But, Jesus didn’t overly complicate it. He said through Paul that if we walk by the Spirit we will not fulfill (gratify) the lusts (desires) of the flesh. But, we have to walk by the Spirit, which means we have to have the Spirit living within us, and the only way that happens is by God’s grace through God-given faith in Jesus Christ which submits to Christ as Lord, and which forsakes sin and idols, and which follows our Lord in obedience.

It is not as hard to be free from slavery to sin as some people make it out to be. Will we be tempted? Yes! Will Satan “pull out all the stops” to get us to give in to sin? Yes! But greater is HE who is within us than he who is within the world. Satan has no power over us if we are truly in Christ. Jesus already won this battle for us. We just have to believe it, and we just have to put on his armor daily and fight off our enemy, and follow our Lord in obedience and in surrender to his will – ALL IN HIS POWER AT WORK WITHIN US!

Works of the Flesh
Galatians 5:19-21 ESV

“Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions, envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

People who profess faith in Jesus Christ but who are still walking according to the flesh, living sinful lifestyles, making sins like these their practice, their habit, their “go to” that they repeat over and over again, are doing so because they are not willing to bow to God in submission to His will. They are not willing to let go of the flesh and to let God be God. They are still holding on to the control of their own lives, and they don’t want to let go. And, so they will make up all kinds of excuses as to why they are still living in bondage to certain sins, some of them after many, many years, too.

And, so they are comforted by the cheap grace gospel which convinces them that they can go on in their sinful practices, and that they can keep making excuses for why they are still there after a lifetime of living that way when they knew better, and when they knew the way to true freedom in Christ. For, the cheap grace gospel says you don’t have to forsake your sinful lifestyles and you can still claim heaven as your eternal destiny.

But, the Bible doesn’t teach that. It says right here that if we practice (habitually) such things, that we will not inherit eternal life with God, no matter what we profess with our lips. For whether we have true faith in Jesus Christ is evidenced by how we live our lives, either for the glory of God or for the glory of our flesh.

So, you say you “believe” in Jesus, but so do the demons, and they aren’t saved. We have to turn away from our sinful lifestyles and walk by the Spirit of God if we want to have eternal life with God (Rom. 8:1-17; Gal. 6:7-8; Rom. 2:6-8; Eph. 5:3-6; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; etc.).

Fruit of the Spirit
Galatians 5:22-24 ESV

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law. And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.”

If we have true faith in Jesus Christ it will be evident by what we do. And, that is because we have the Holy Spirit living within us. And, if we are walking according to the Spirit, we are not going to be fulfilling the lusts of our flesh, but instead the fruit of the Spirit will be evident in our lives.

Now this is not saying that we will be absolutely perfect. The scriptures make it clear that we may sin sometimes, but that we have been delivered from slavery to sin and from the control of sin and Satan over our lives. Sin is no longer our master, what drives us, but now our Lord is our master, and holiness is our motivation, instead. We want to live lives pleasing to God.

So, what it all comes down to is what we practice and who we obey, for scripture teaches that we are slaves to the one we obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness (Rom. 6:16).

So, don’t fall into that trap that says God is okay with you continuing in your sinful practices or that heaven is still guaranteed you no matter what. Read what these scriptures teach, believe them, and then obey your Lord.

Forsake your sinful lifestyles, and now walk with him in obedience one day and one situation at a time, saying “NO!” to Satan and the flesh, and saying “YES!” to God and to his righteousness. And, the fruit you will bear will not be of the flesh but will be of the Spirit, and you will have eternal life with God (Tit. 2:11-14; Eph. 4:17-24; 1 Jn. 1:5-9; Rom. 6:1-23; Rom. 8:1-17).

And, then proclaim the truth of the gospel of our salvation to your world around you and expose the lies of the enemy for what they are, so that many people will be delivered from their slavery to sin and have eternal life with God.

Shine On

By Ann Aschauer

So shine on through the darkness;
Be the salt and light for all your world.
Live for Jesus, 'til you see Him,
And your faith has its reward;
Shine on through the darkness;
Let His love shine through you all your days.
Go and win your generation for the Lord.

c 1990 Ann Aschauer

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
All people sin virtually every day. This will continue until Christ returns or their death. We are to strive for freedom but there is no sinless life this side of paradise.

I John 1:8 "If we say that we HAVE NO SIN, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact of this life because our flesh is always working against our spirit in Christ.

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,350,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All people sin virtually every day. This will continue until Christ returns or their death. We are to strive for freedom but there is no sinless life this side of paradise.

I John 1:8 "If we say that we HAVE NO SIN, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact of this life because our flesh is always working against our spirit in Christ.
That doesn't change the truth of what the scriptures teach on habitual sinful practices. If anyone makes sin their practice, their lifestyle, they will not inherit eternal life with God.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
That doesn't change the truth of what the scriptures teach on habitual sinful practices. If anyone makes sin their practice, their lifestyle, they will not inherit eternal life with God.

I believe Christians can have lifelong struggles with besetting sins. For example, I am a prideful person, and this will always be a struggle. I believe I can have great victory in Christ because that is promised, but I know my flesh will be a problem that I must deal with until the day that I die and proceed into glory.

the sad thing about people trying to distinguish between which sins are lifestyle or habitual sins is it really misses the mark. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Yes there must not be excuses to not pursue holiness, and we have power to overcome temptation, but ranking which sins keep people out of heaven isn’t consistent with the spirit of the scriptures and it makes me sad. There is no substantive difference between myself who struggles with lifelong pride issues and a Christian who battled alcoholism their whole life. It’s just the wrong approach if you want to try and preach holiness. I think we can preach holiness without cherry picking our least favorite sins and making presumptive statements about the destination of particular people’s eternal souls. Just my take!

Upvote 0

Christsfreeservant

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 10, 2006
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟1,350,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe Christians can have lifelong struggles with besetting sins. For example, I am a prideful person, and this will always be a struggle. I believe I can have great victory in Christ because that is promised, but I know my flesh will be a problem that I must deal with until the day that I die and proceed into glory.

the sad thing about people trying to distinguish between which sins are lifestyle or habitual sins is it really misses the mark. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God. Yes there must not be excuses to not pursue holiness, and we have power to overcome temptation, but ranking which sins keep people out of heaven isn’t consistent with the spirit of the scriptures and it makes me sad. There is no substantive difference between myself who struggles with lifelong pride issues and a Christian who battled alcoholism their whole life. It’s just the wrong approach if you want to try and preach holiness. I think we can preach holiness without cherry picking our least favorite sins and making presumptive statements about the destination of particular people’s eternal souls. Just my take!

Your dispute is not with me but with the scriptures. This is not my opinion here. This is what the scriptures teach.

Gal. 5:19-21: “Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

Galatians 6:7-8: “Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.”

Romans 2:6-8: He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.

Romans 6:15-16: What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

Eph. 5:3-6: But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

Col. 1:21-23: And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach— if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.”

Ro. 8:3-14: “For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

“You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

“So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”

1 Jn. 1:5-9: “This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

1 Jn. 2:3-6: “And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says ‘I know him’ but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.”

These, and many more scriptures like them teach us that we must walk (in practice) according to the Spirit of God, in obedience to our Lord, and that we must not walk (in practice) according to the flesh to fulfill the desires of the flesh. For, if what we practice is sinful, then we don't inherit eternal life. But, if what we put into practice is of the Spirit of God, by the Spirit of God, then we have eternal life. This is not my opinion.

Upvote 0

GaveMeJoy

Nov 28, 2019
San diego
✟41,977.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Your dispute is not with me but with the scriptures. This is not my opinion here. This is what the scriptures teach.

Gal. 5:19-21: “Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, envying, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

Galatians 6:7-8: “Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.”

Romans 2:6-8: He will render to each one according to his works: to those who by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and immortality, he will give eternal life; but for those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, there will be wrath and fury.

Romans 6:15-16: What then? Are we to sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! Do you not know that if you present yourselves to anyone as obedient slaves, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin, which leads to death, or of obedience, which leads to righteousness?

Eph. 5:3-6: But sexual immorality and all impurity or covetousness must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints. Let there be no filthiness nor foolish talk nor crude joking, which are out of place, but instead let there be thanksgiving. For you may be sure of this, that everyone who is sexually immoral or impure, or who is covetous (that is, an idolater), has no inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience.

Col. 1:21-23: And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach— if indeed you continue in the faith firmly established and steadfast, and not moved away from the hope of the gospel that you have heard, which was proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, was made a minister.”

Ro. 8:3-14: “For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

“You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him. But if Christ is in you, although the body is dead because of sin, the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, he who raised Christ Jesus from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit who dwells in you.

“So then, brothers, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh. For if you live according to the flesh you will die, but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”

1 Jn. 1:5-9: “This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

1 Jn. 2:3-6: “And by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments. Whoever says ‘I know him’ but does not keep his commandments is a liar, and the truth is not in him, but whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked.”

These, and many more scriptures like them teach us that we must walk (in practice) according to the Spirit of God, in obedience to our Lord, and that we must not walk (in practice) according to the flesh to fulfill the desires of the flesh. For, if what we practice is sinful, then we don't inherit eternal life. But, if what we put into practice is of the Spirit of God, by the Spirit of God, then we have eternal life. This is not my opinion.

Those verses do an excellent job describing the flesh, it’s power, and the status of human beings as unregenerate, unsaved and fallen creatures. Some of those passages, especially Galatians 5 are clearly speaking of unbelievers, and don’t apply to my remarks on those who are saved by grace through faith in Christ.

I agree that many of those verses, and others, especially John 15 indicate that salvation comes with fruit, and true salvation results in a changed life. None of those verses contradict my statements.

1 John 2:1 ESV / 48 helpful votes
My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

Those Scripture indicate that we are not to sin, and that sin separates us from God. Also, they indicate those who persist in their sin without repentance do not have the Holy Spirit in them and are unsaved. Thankfully, even though all of those verses show the depth and consequences of sin, 1 John 2:1 shows us that the we STILL have an advocate in Christ when we sin.

Ecclesiastes 7:20 ESV / 48 helpful votes
Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins.

and we do still sin, no matter what. You sin, and I sin, period.
Ecl 7:20
Surely there is not a righteous man on earth who does good and never sins. And Romans 3:23-24

Thankfully, even though we do sin, we are free from condemnation.
Romans 8:1 ESV / 17 helpful votes
There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

I agree that those who make an unrepentant practice of sin are not saved and will fall into condemnation, this is clear in 1 John 3:4.
It is equally true that every Christian sins, virtually daily. This does not negate their salvation. I John 1:8 "If we say that we HAVE NO SIN, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

That also doesn’t contract my response.

I have no quarrel with Scripture or you, I have grace to cover my sin through the shedding of Christ’s blood, my advocate. shalom!

Last edited:
Upvote 0