• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Thomas tears into abortion precedent, says Roe v. Wade should fall in dissent on Louisiana case

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by 98cwitr, Jun 29, 2020.

1. 98cwitr

98cwitr Lord forgive me Staff Member Red Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,047
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Blade

Blade Veteran Supporter

+2,058
    Christian
    Married
    Ever read the quote from the woman that stated it (about abortion)? Was so evil..

Thank you for this.

3. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,613
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    The majority ruled against the Louisiana law because the court had already ruled against such laws in the state of Texas. As a true conservative, Roberts recognizes the value in precedent. Established legal regimes should not be changed on mere political whims.

4. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,075
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    Care about living babies, children and grownup's . More then an unborn clump of cells . Nobody should care more about a clump cells, than people all ready born. It's just fake tears.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  5. KCfromNC

KCfromNC Regular Member

+8,785
    Atheist
    Private
  6. FireDragon76

+11,613
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Trump is a conman who, like all conmen, shamelessly overpromises.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. TLK Valentine

TLK Valentine You will be who you will be. We are our choices.

+21,504
    Agnostic
    Single
  8. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,721
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    Good thing he doesn't get the opportunity to uphold the precedent set by the Dred Scott decision.

9. TLK Valentine

+21,504
    Agnostic
    Single
    The Thirteenth Amendment rendered that decision moot.

I'd be surprised if he didn't know that; it was in all the papers...

10. grasping the after wind

grasping the after wind That's grasping after the wind

+4,721
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others

As I said he won' t get the opportunity to reaffirm the precedent. However if the Citizen's United decision is looked at again he can reaffirm that and I am sure all those that hail his love of precedent on Roe will be right there applauding him again.

11. GreatLakes4Ever

GreatLakes4Ever Well-Known Member

+1,665
    United States
    Humanist
    Engaged
    I don’t think it was on this website but I did opine that Roberts did the right thing for the wrong reason and while I agree with the ruling his opinion left a bitter taste in my mouth for the very reason you pointed out. His argument taken to its logical conclusion would declare the Supreme Court infallible.

12. TLK Valentine

+21,504
    Agnostic
    Single
    That darn Constitution.

Good move; choosing another court case. Now all you have to do is realize that we like upholding good precedents, not abominable ones like Scott.

Citizens United is a tricky one -- the implications are abominable and the justices were naive, but the law is solidly on their side: Donating money is a form of speech. It's going to take a Constitutional Amendment to fix that one.

13. Tinker Grey

Tinker Grey Wanderer Supporter

+2,560
    Atheist
    I'm beginning to think (not because of your post, per se) that taking things to their logical conclusion is the wrong thing to do. For one, it is very akin to a slippery slope fallacy. For two, in the case of SCOTUS, it can and has over-turned itself. One needs a compelling reason for doing so.

What Roberts has done is say that A) we just made this decision, B) the arguments haven't changed -- no new information is added in this case, and C) changing that decision just because we can (the composition of the court has changed) would be wrong.

Roberts doing anything else would have made the court a tool of political ideologies.

14. Tinker Grey

+2,560
    Atheist
    Prima facie, I think the right decision is that corporations aren't people and don't get the same rights as an individual human.

15. TLK Valentine

+21,504
    Agnostic
    Single
    Prima facie, I think the right decision is that the ruling only applies to public, transparent donations. The purpose of speech -- in any form -- is to be heard; any attempt to conceal the donations indicates that the intention was never for it to be construed as speech.

16. Tinker Grey

+2,560
    Atheist
    I'd buy that, too. But, I still think that considering corporations people doesn't work. Yours might fly better than mine, though.

17. FireDragon76

+11,613
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    If this case involved presenting a better argument, that would be one thing, but the Court was presented with the same rehashed arguments.