Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is *entirely* about the possibility of being cuckold that drives this type of sexual jealousy that leads to repressive "property-type" marital regulations. That concern, or desire, about investing ones resources to the raising of only your own offspring drives such jealousies and impacts our sexual mores.

If we were perfectly rational, men would not develop notions of "ownership" of the sexual activities of their child-rearing partner particularly when it couldn't result in her becoming pregnant. But that's not the way our sexual instincts work, hence men typically become jealous or possessive if their partner has any sexual relations with others, even if they rationally know it couldn't result in a child.

Hearing Christians in this thread argue so strenuously a case for slavery makes me amazed that it was Christians who developed the argument for the abolishment of slavery.

But then I remember that those Christians were not so ideologically bound to a particular nation-state that they were unable discern the line between the evil of their nation-state and the goodness of Christ.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's because marriage is a mutual covenant agreement between them, and monogamy is a part of that agreement for many different reasons. It's not ownership of one or the other, but responsibility towards each other and the covenant. So if she, or he, decided to sleep with another person, they are breaking that agreement.

With the exception of indentured servitude, a slave is not given a choice, but is simply considered as property.

I'm going to quote that for emphasis.

Marriage is a covenant relationship. Property ownership is not.

I'm surprised that a Christian would argue otherwise.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟556,878.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If a man didn't own his wife, why should he be upset if she decided to sleep with another guy? It's her body, her choice, right?

It seems that others have beaten me to the answer.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
View attachment 308754

Thomas Jefferson is no longer in the room where it happens.

Art handlers packed up an 884-pound statue of Jefferson in a wooden crate Monday after a mayoral commission voted to banish the likeness of the nation’s third president from City Hall, where it’s resided for nearly two centuries — because he owned slaves.

Thomas Jefferson statue leaves City Hall after 187 years
Understandable considering his life. I don’t think taking down the statue will fix anything though. Forgiveness is the only way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It is *entirely* about the possibility of being cuckold that drives this type of sexual jealousy that leads to repressive "property-type" marital regulations. That concern, or desire, about investing ones resources to the raising of only your own offspring drives such jealousies and impacts our sexual mores.

If we were perfectly rational, men would not develop notions of "ownership" of the sexual activities of their child-rearing partner particularly when it couldn't result in her becoming pregnant. But that's not the way our sexual instincts work, hence men typically become jealous or possessive if their partner has any sexual relations with others, even if they rationally know it couldn't result in a child.

Then do you believe women shouldn't be jealous if their husband sleeps with other women. And no, this woman and her husband don't have children.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's because marriage is a mutual covenant agreement between them, and monogamy is a part of that agreement for many different reasons. It's not ownership of one or the other, but responsibility towards each other and the covenant. So if she, or he, decided to sleep with another person, they are breaking that agreement.

With the exception of indentured servitude, a slave is not given a choice, but is simply considered as property.

You are correct about the marriage being a responsibility in both directions, which means the husband and wife have ownership of one another.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to quote that for emphasis.

Marriage is a covenant relationship. Property ownership is not.

I'm surprised that a Christian would argue otherwise.

Does God not own us? Did He not pay for us? Is He not our master?

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
You are correct about the marriage being a responsibility in both directions, which means the husband and wife have ownership of one another.

I know which bible verse you're getting this from and it's of course correct in that sense because two flesh become one flesh, but it's still not comparable to slavery in the sense we are discussing here in which there is no choice and no covenant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Not after we've been saved, although I know some will disagree.

I'm one of those "some". :) If someone truly doesn't want to be with God, God isn't going to force the matter. Like the father of the prodigal son.

But at some point in most Christian theologies, God does allow us the opportunity to reject him, or knows beforehand who would reject him (i.e. Calvinist)

Also, once we are Christian, we become adopted into God's family and rather than being under the master-slave covenant of law, we are under the new covenant of grace and are as the adopted son, co-heirs with Christ, rather than slave.

Slavery in the sense of this thread allows no rejection at any point and certainly a slave would not full familial rights as a son and heir of the master's family.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I'm one of those "some". :) If someone truly doesn't want to be with God, God isn't going to force the matter. Like the father of the prodigal son.

But at some point in most Christian theologies, God does allow us the opportunity to reject him, or knows beforehand who would reject him (i.e. Calvinist)

Also, once we are Christian, we become adopted into God's family and rather than being under the master-slave covenant of law, we are under the new covenant of grace and are as the adopted son, co-heirs with Christ, rather than slave.

Slavery in the sense of this thread allows no rejection at any point and certainly a slave would not full familial rights as a son and heir of the master's family.

As the prodigal son parable indicated, the father/son relationship does not end if the son decides to walk away.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
As the prodigal son parable indicated, the father/son relationship does not end if the son decides to walk away.

Two things:

1. father/son (not master/slave as the son later came to realize)
2. The son could have freely chosen not to return

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does God not own us? Did He not pay for us? Is He not our master?

Scripture explicitly distinguishes our relationship with God as adopted sons rather than mere slaves. Jesus explicitly expressed the relationship of His disciples to Him as friends rather than mere slaves.

Your attempt to equate the covenantal relationship of Christians to God with the crass ownership by American slaveholders of kidnapped Africans is repugnant.

• Agree
Reactions: Bradskii
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,381.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Your original post on this matter tried to draw a comparison between a man raping his slave and sex within a marriage because a man 'owned' his wife. Explicitly saying that as long as one 'owns' the other person then there's no problem. The fact that you have now suggested that a married couple 'own' each other (a nonsensical suggestion in itself) doesn't excuse the first comparison. It exacerbates it.

• Agree
Reactions: ToddNotTodd
Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,381.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Abe Lincoln wasn't a slave owner but they want to take down his statue as well. Cancel culture is absurd.

Some context would be required in this instance. Do you want to provide it or shall I? To help you provide the context, here's the statue:

lincoln-statue-boston-e1b3ef82f24a84402007f47be791f85bb13f35eb-s1100-c50.jpg

If you can find an example of a statue of Lincoln himself being asked to be taken down, then let's hear about it and we can discuss it.

Upvote 0