Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Private
Alde is right. A husband use to own his wife. A woman couldn't own property or vote. Inheritance went to sons and not daughters and even today a wife takes the man's last name (which is a vestige and why feminists decry the practice as contrary to human rights). A man is still called a husband. Does that word ring any bells? As in husbandry
Someone needs to tell you that the scare quotes don't help you there. If you're married, you can try some air quotes using that term with your wife and tell us what happens.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
We condemn them all. Unequivocably. Slavery is evil. Period. Whether it was deemed acceptable or not at the time is another matter. Whether one treated their slaves well or not is another matter. I would suggest that someone who knew it was wrong yet still did it would be worse than someone who truly felt it was acceptable. That is why I asked upstream if anyone thought that Jefferson thought he knew it was wrong. I'm certain that he did. And he must be condemned because of that.
So Christ used an example of human sinfulness to explain our relationship with him in the Kingdom? God blessed Job through sin, when he gave Job servants? Our redemption (literally) is build on a sinful typology?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
even today a wife takes the man's last name
If she chooses, there is no legal requirement to do so. My wife and I both use the last names we were given at birth.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟298,752.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You're stuck on the word property. What is buying and selling--ie purchasing? It is the exchange of one thing for another. Christ purchased us by his blood. A man who pays a dowry is purchasing a wife. Another man who gives grain or money in exchange for a human person in order to save their life, is purchasing that person such as during a kidnapping or in the case of law, where titles are exchanged. Ransom is closely connected to the idea of purchase.

I'm not saying that we should have this system today. That would be evil. But at the same time, do you realize how many ancestors we are condemning by saying that such things are absolutely evil in all cases? As if we today are more advanced spiritually than they.

I used to find much of this kind of talk disconcerting when I was a Christian. Perhaps if I cared deeply about religion, it would have bothered me with this purchase talk, and the earlier talk of kings, and driven me away. Alas, it was that I could no longer find the notion of Christ believable that turned me away rather than the "purchase us by his blood" part, which should have.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
If she chooses, there is no legal requirement to do so. My wife and I both use the last names we were given at birth.
That's why I said it's a vestige. Same with the word 'husband'. We don't think about it's epistemology anymore.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
I used to find much of this kind of talk disconcerting when I was a Christian. Perhaps if I cared deeply about religion, it would have bothered me with this purchase talk, and the earlier talk of kings, and driven me away. Alas, it was that I could no longer find the notion of Christ believable that turned me away rather than the "purchase us by his blood" part, which should have.
I'm sorry.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,210.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Alde is right. A husband use to own his wife. A woman couldn't own property or vote. Inheritance went to sons and not daughters and even today a wife takes the man's last name (which is a vestige and why feminists decry the practice as contrary to human rights). A man is still called a husband. Does that word ring any bells? As in husbandry

You used to be able to force yourself sexually onto your wife as well. But the comment in question was present tense, not past.

Incidentally, my wife and I were married in the Middle East and I had to legally promise to pay her father a dowry for her. From memory, it was about $150. So I 'legally' own her. And anytime I feel like sleeping on the couch I remind her of that.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
You used to be able to force yourself sexually onto your wife as well. But the comment in question was present tense, not past.

Maybe Alde has a victorian world-view?

Incidentally, my wife and I were married in the Middle East and I had to legally promise to pay her father a dowry for her. From memory, it was about $150. So I 'legally' own her. And anytime I feel like sleeping on the couch I remind her of that.

Haha!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,186,287.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You used to be able to force yourself sexually onto your wife as well.
Something my fine state came in dead last in fixing with rape of your spouse only becoming a crime in 1993. Also it only became legal to withdraw consent to intercourse in 2019 but I digress.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,210.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Hence the proper name of the sport "Gridiron Pigskin".

Not to disrupt the thread, but what's with all the protective gear? Coming from a rugby union and a rugby league background it seems like...overkill? And possibly more dangerous.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟650,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You didn’t. You seem to be arguing that it wasn’t rape.

Well it's been about 250 years, so my memory about it is a bit fuzzy.

Are you trolling or are you serious?

I'm being serious. If you think about it, a husband and wife own each other, otherwise they'd be perfectly free to sleep around with anyone they want. If you're a man and are married, would you feel at all like you've been violated or betrayed if your wife decided she could sleep with anyone she wanted?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Not to disrupt the thread, but what's with all the protective gear? Coming from a rugby union and a rugby league background it seems like...overkill? And possibly more dangerous.

Everything is about safety. Even with all the gear, some people would like to see the sport banned.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

The "purchase us by his blood" part is best understood by understanding the mosaic law and sacrificial animals rituals that were done. It's a symbolic thing with spiritual realities.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Someone needs to tell you that the scare quotes don't help you there. If you're married, you can try some air quotes using that term with your wife and tell us what happens.

If she got upset about it, I'd just tell her she needs to calm down.

Upvote 0

Thatgirloncfforums

Sep 28, 2021
Nowhere
✟40,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Private
The "purchase us by his blood" part is best understood by understanding the mosaic law and sacrificial animals rituals that were done. It's a symbolic thing with spiritual realities.
It's still a purchase. Men are still being bought back by God.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟650,820.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It's still a purchase. Men are still being bought back by God.

I know, but I meant that the animal sacrifices were the original place where it was biblically referenced. It was a foreshadowing of what Christ would become for us, but the guy I was talking to labels himself as a non-believer, so I made reference to what he could look up in a book.

Upvote 0