USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think its sad. I think the whole city should have had a vote one said "The decades-long push to get rid of the statue of Jefferson, described by one Democratic member of the State Assembly as “a slaveholding pedophile,” gained traction last year among the city council’s Black, Latino and Asian Caucus following the police murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis and the nationwide racial reckoning that unfolded."

It was a different time. I personally don't believe this has anything what so ever to do with slavery. Its treated as if whites were the only ones that had slaves but.. just now as I always do went searching reading "records" and other documents.. theres SO MUCH here that is oddly never touched on.

Again a different time.. I have no clue what I would have been like back then. To some they were less then whites.. to others they are far better off then where they were.. on and on. Seems we had a war about something :) There are people today in Washington who we can trace back to those times and? Did the man do any good that we should remember? I personally like knowing all not some but all that came before me were human some made great mistakes easy to see now. Nice to see everything .....well its not gone just moved. I think al should have had a vote.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟253,220.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
"And to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God....."

A vote on the matter should settle it. Let your elected representatives decide.

'The House passed a bill Tuesday that would remove Confederate statues from the U.S. Capitol as well as a bust of the former Supreme Court chief justice who wrote the 1857 Dred Scott decision that denied enslaved people the right to be citizens. The bill passed by a vote of 285 to 120. Every Democrat present and 67 Republicans voted for it.' Confederate statues: House votes to remove them from Capitol

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,515.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think its sad. I think the whole city should have had a vote.
Why? Nothing else short of revising the Charter of the City of New York is subject to public referendum. Why should the moving of one piece of City property that the majority of the residents probably doesn't even know exist be subject to one?

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Why? Nothing else short of revising the Charter of the City of New York is subject to public referendum. Why should the moving of one piece of City property that the majority of the residents probably doesn't even know exist be subject to one?

Indeed -- first of all, it's not evan an original; just a plaster replica of the one in the DC Capitol... second, as I said before, it's their statue -- if they want to keep it, sell it, put it in a museum, or tie a rock around it and sink it in the Hudson, that's their choice.

Upvote 0