Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
WordPress.com

Paul tells us that the rulers of this age “crucified the Lord of glory” (1 Corinthians 2:8). Thomas Aquinas explains in what sense we can refer to the Lord of glory being crucified:

92. Two difficulties arise here: the first concerns the statement that the God of glory was crucified. For Christ’s godhead, according to which Christ is called the Lord of glory, cannot suffer anything.

The answer is that Christ is one person subsisting in two natures, the human and the divine. Hence he can be described by names drawn from either nature; furthermore, no matter what the name by which he is designated, it can be predicated of him, because there is but one person underlying both natures. Consequently, we can say that the man created the stars and that the Lord of glory was crucified; however, it was not as man that he created the stars, but as God; nor was it as God that he was crucified, but as man.

Hence this phrase refutes Nestorius’ error asserting that there is one nature, composed of God and man, in Christ; because if Nestorius were correct, it would not be true to say that Lord of glory was crucified.

Thomas Aquinas, Super 1 ad Corinthios, C. 2, L. 2, 92.

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟747,424.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
A few months ago a friend gave me a two volume (tiny print) edition of Summa Theologica and I've been struggling to read it. It's very boring...sorry. I've plodded through some dense theological works in the past like Turretin's Institutes of Elenctic Theology but the Summa is just not for me.

Anyone read an abridged edition they could recommend? I know Luther didn't like portions of Aquinas and blamed him for the piety of Romanism but I'd still like to get a handle on the Summa.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0