Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
that, theologically, I'm Orthodox.

• Each year I bemoan the fact that the Catholic liturgy - at least in my parish - seems to become more and more "watered down".
  • Don't get me started on the "watering down" of Catholic teaching.
  • And don't get me started on the Eucharist, the lack of respect many Catholics show it, and the fact that the Precious Blood is withheld from the faithful because of flu season and "other infectious diseases".
  • I fully understand (and dare I say agree with) the Orthodox position/teaching about papal primacy, especially after hearing an Orthodox priest explain it.
  • Since I converted to Catholicism 25 years ago, I've had issues with the Immaculate Conception and many of the Marian devotions.

Because of the first two things, I've always thought that I just needed to become a Traditional Catholic. However, after a brief conversation with a local Orthodox priest, I was ready to ask about joining an inquirers' class.

There's only one problem - my husband. He's a cradle Catholic who will never consider converting, and I don't know if I would actually convert without him. He's agreed to go to a DL with me, so who knows what will happen.

Can I just ask for prayer support until I know where God wants me?

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I almost went the Tridentine Latin Mass traditionalist route as well because our local liturgies are watered-down post-Vatican II messes. We hear "Go Tell it on the Mountain," "Amazing Grace," and all sorts of strumming guitars to the accompaniment of hand-holding, priest facing us, the ugliest vestments, altar girls, 4,000 extraordinary ministers doaling out the Eucharist like frisbees, and a host of other abuses. It was rough. I tried to weather that storm, but it beat me down. And when I looked into the Tridentine, too many contradictions with Vatican II sensibilities. It revealed a bipolarism to the Church.

I must say though, I still miss MANY things about being a Catholic. I went into Orthodoxy kicking and screaming like someone about go get waterboarded! LOL

that, theologically, I'm Orthodox.

• Each year I bemoan the fact that the Catholic liturgy - at least in my parish - seems to become more and more "watered down".
  • Don't get me started on the "watering down" of Catholic teaching.
  • And don't get me started on the Eucharist, the lack of respect many Catholics show it, and the fact that the Precious Blood is withheld from the faithful because of flu season and "other infectious diseases".
  • I fully understand (and dare I say agree with) the Orthodox position/teaching about papal primacy, especially after hearing an Orthodox priest explain it.
  • Since I converted to Catholicism 25 years ago, I've had issues with the Immaculate Conception and many of the Marian devotions.

Because of the first two things, I've always thought that I just needed to become a Traditional Catholic. However, after a brief conversation with a local Orthodox priest, I was ready to ask about joining an inquirers' class.

There's only one problem - my husband. He's a cradle Catholic who will never consider converting, and I don't know if I would actually convert without him. He's agreed to go to a DL with me, so who knows what will happen.

Can I just ask for prayer support until I know where God wants me?

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
be patient and take your time. God works these things. if your hubby is cool with you attending a Liturgy or an Inquirer's Class, I would say go to check it out. and as Inner pointed out, don't rush and don't despair.

Lord have mercy on you!

Upvote 0

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I almost went the Tridentine Latin Mass traditionalist route as well because our local liturgies are watered-down post-Vatican II messes.... And when I looked into the Tridentine, too many contradictions with Vatican II sensibilities. It revealed a bipolarism to the Church.
My husband wants to go to a Tridentine Mass at least once so he can see what it's like. I think he's more traditional in some ways than I am. He constantly remarks about the music (a lot of parishioners vent to me about the music, 1) because I'm a cantor, and 2) the liturgy director dooesn't seem to listen to them) and how much he misses the "little t" traditions that keep falling to the wayside. Me, I'm just tired of feeling like the Catholic Church is trying to make everyone happy (except those who are traditional), like parents who give into their children's every whim to keep them from squawking and/or running away.

I must say though, I still miss MANY things about being a Catholic. I went into Orthodoxy kicking and screaming like someone about go get waterboarded! LOL
^_^

Upvote 0

Catholic Wife

Senior Veteran
Jan 27, 2006
DFW Metroplex
✟17,678.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Don't rush and don't despair!

be patient and take your time. God works these things. if your hubby is cool with you attending a Liturgy or an Inquirer's Class, I would say go to check it out. and as Inner pointed out, don't rush and don't despair.

Lord have mercy on you!
Thank you!
Patience has never been my strong suit, but I'm not planning to make any changes until a few other things in my life fall into place. My main concern, if you can call it that, is what if I attend a Liturgy or two, or an inquirers' class, feel it's where I belong, but my husband (who HATES change) doesn't feel comfortable leaving what he's known his whole life? I trust I will know the right thing to do when the time comes, but what if I choose to go ahead and it puts distance between my husband and me? What if I choose to remain where I am, even thought I know it's not right? How will God look upon either of these? That's a lot of "what if's", isn't it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well in Orthodoxy you don't have to worry about not being traditional for goodness sakes! The big talk at our parish is the "scandal" and drama about the local Greek Orthodox parish getting an organ in their church. In Orthodoxy that's tantamount to a total sellout modernist heresy! LOL

My beef with Orthodoxy has always been our refusal to allow and encourage other forms of liturgy. The Western Rite has been something of a joke. Nobody hardly supports it, and the Russians have all but condemned it as some kind of monstrosity. It's either the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or the third choice of the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. And if you're not a fan of those you can also try the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

I wish I had gone to a Tridentine Latin Mass, just for the experience and to be able to speak authoritatively on the subject. I've watched them online, but never went to one. They seem awesome.

My husband wants to go to a Tridentine Mass at least once so he can see what it's like. I think he's more traditional in some ways than I am. He constantly remarks about the music (a lot of parishioners vent to me about the music, 1) because I'm a cantor, and 2) the liturgy director dooesn't seem to listen to them) and how much he misses the "little t" traditions that keep falling to the wayside. Me, I'm just tired of feeling like the Catholic Church is trying to make everyone happy (except those who are traditional), like parents who give into their children's every whim to keep them from squawking and/or running away.

^_^

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0

E.C.

Jan 12, 2007
✟136,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hang on Gurney - what about the Liturgy of St Basil the Great ? :p
Ah, yes, the Lenten/high feast day Liturgy ;)

CatholicWife, welcome to TAW! :wave:

There are a few ex-cradle Catholics here (hi) who have become Orthodox over the years, in fact even a few bishops came from that background so that should say something.
The best anyone can do is pray, pray, and, pray. And when you've run out of options always try praying.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,465,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

and the Liturgy of the Presanctified Gifts, written by a Pope of Rome. plus just because the Liturgy of St Tikhon is rare, that does not mean it is not Orthodox. it just means it is rare.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know, I know, but we don't use that one much, and honestly it's almost just like the Chrysostom liturgy with some changes and it's a lot longer (sigh).

Upvote 0

AndreasProtoklitos

Now with less Sodium!
Nov 8, 2012
Virginia
✟7,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well in Orthodoxy you don't have to worry about not being traditional for goodness sakes! The big talk at our parish is the "scandal" and drama about the local Greek Orthodox parish getting an organ in their church. In Orthodoxy that's tantamount to a total sellout modernist heresy! LOL

My beef with Orthodoxy has always been our refusal to allow and encourage other forms of liturgy. The Western Rite has been something of a joke. Nobody hardly supports it, and the Russians have all but condemned it as some kind of monstrosity. It's either the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom or the third choice of the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom. And if you're not a fan of those you can also try the Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom.

I wish I had gone to a Tridentine Latin Mass, just for the experience and to be able to speak authoritatively on the subject. I've watched them online, but never went to one. They seem awesome.

Tridentine Mass drove me to Orthodoxy. It seemed empty.

In Christ,
Andrew

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I suppose it's HOW it's celebrated. I'm sure there are Divine Liturgies in our country celebrated that seem devoid of passion and love. I've been to some Greek ones that seemed dead! But that's not true for most of Orthodoxy.

Probably the happiest I've been liturgically was Anglican. The DL is great, but it utterly exhausts me! :sorry:

Tridentine Mass drove me to Orthodoxy. It seemed empty.

In Christ,
Andrew

Upvote 0

AndreasProtoklitos

Now with less Sodium!
Nov 8, 2012
Virginia
✟7,668.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I suppose it's HOW it's celebrated. I'm sure there are Divine Liturgies in our country celebrated that seem devoid of passion and love. I've been to some Greek ones that seemed dead! But that's not true for most of Orthodoxy.

Probably the happiest I've been liturgically was Anglican. The DL is great, but it utterly exhausts me! :sorry:

Good. It means you're doing something. :) I say the same thing about physical exercise. :D It exhausts me, but I know I did something worthwhile. Hang in there, brother. Pray for your priest and bishop and thank God for them, too. There are sadly Orthodox brethren of ours that cannot go to Liturgy because someone blew up their church or murdered their priest. :( I also learned to ask God to help me love people and see them as he sees and love them. Maybe you could try that, too? :)

In Christ,
Andrew

Upvote 0