✟605.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello thejdubb02; :wave:
While I am certain there is far more reason to the use of the fish’s origin then I am aware of, I love the application of it’s symbol. Christians are sent forth to be fishers of men with Christ standing as the original fisherman.
As for me and my family, we are happy and thankful to be caught fish.:clap:
As always my love to all and May God Bless.:prayer:

Upvote 0

icxn

Bραδύγλωσσος αἰπόλος μαθητεύων κνίζειν συκάμινα
Dec 13, 2004
✟210,855.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Fish in Greek is &#921;&#935;&#920;&#933;&#931;, which matches the abbreviation of: &#921;&#951;&#963;&#959;&#973;&#962; &#935;&#961;&#953;&#963;&#964;&#972;&#962;, &#920;&#949;&#959;&#973; &#933;&#953;&#972;&#962; &#931;&#969;&#964;&#942;&#961;, i.e. Jesus Christ, God's Son, Savior.

Upvote 0

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,505.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
thejdubb02 said:
I am sure this has been asked before. Why exactly is this (the fish) the symbol of Christianity?

It came into being in response to Jesus words "...I will make you fishers of men..." The cross was considered a horrible form of execution and was not used by the early followers of Jesus.

Upvote 0

Peter

Veteran
Aug 19, 2003
Southern US
Visit site
✟2,154.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
revrobor said:
It came into being in response to Jesus words "...I will make you fishers of men..." The cross was considered a horrible form of execution and was not used by the early followers of Jesus.

"I preach Christ, and HIM CRUCIFIED, folly for the gentiles and a stubling block for the Jews."

With all respect for your age, you are wrong on this one.

The Reader Peter

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

revrobor

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Checotah, OK
Visit site
✟13,505.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Peter said:
"I preach Christ, and HIM CRUCIFIED, folly for the gentiles and a stubling block for the Jews."

With all respect for your age, you are wrong on this one.

The Reader Peter

For the first couple of hundred years the sign of the cross was not used by Jesus' followers. What's your point? I'm wrong about what?

Upvote 0

HolyGuardianAngels

Merry Christmas Everyone
Mar 10, 2005
Southern California, just minutes from the beach !
✟17,081.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
thejdubb02 said:
I am sure this has been asked before. Why exactly is this (the fish) the symbol of Christianity?

Hi . . .

I like to think of it, as an emphatic reminder . . . to eat fish on Fridays, during Lent;).

Let freedom ring!!
:angel:

Upvote 0

Inviolable

Feb 27, 2006
✟3,179.00
Faith
Christian
HolyGuardianAngels said:
Hi . . .

I like to think of it, as an emphatic reminder . . . to eat fish on Fridays, during Lent;).

Let freedom ring!!
:angel:
I know this may not be correct, but there is a story I know of that I like.
Has was stated before the Greek spelling did play a role in the fish symbol. I know that in turbulent times Christians needed a way to identify each other, so they would scribble pictures in the dirt. One picture would be the fish. If a non-Christian came along and saw the pictures it would be nothing more to them then scribbles.
Which would appear to them as someone who is simply passing the time by scribbling in the dirt.

Upvote 0

IgnatiusOfAntioch

Contributor
May 3, 2005
Visit site
✟23,767.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
revrobor said:
For the first couple of hundred years the sign of the cross was not used by Jesus' followers. I'm wrong about what?

Actually, the sign of the Corss was made by many of the early Martyrs as a witness to the Faith and to identify themselves as followers of Jesus Christ. Even today, only followers of Jesus Christ make the sign of the Cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.